1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about picking up my first (non-WW2 era) 1911. Trying to decide between the Springfield Ronin and the Colt Combat elite.

I prefer the look of the Combat Elite. But I'm not sure that justifies a price tag that is nearly double. What should I know and consider about both? Any recommendations?

Springfield Ronin
Ronin.jpg

Colt Combat Elite
Combat Elite.jpg

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I like the look of the Colt, but after looking at the Ronin on the SA website, it seems really well made. I say go to a gun shop that has both and compare side to side. I'm leaning towards the Colt. I did buy a range SA Range Officer a few years back and with a little ignition polishing had a great trigger and was a tack driver. Colt is Colt though, always get your money back. I guess I'm no help!!!

·
Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium
1,288 Posts
I have seen a number of examples of the Combat Elite. Every one was very well made - minimal slide play, good lock up of the barrel and slide, good triggers and safeties. I would take one quicker than a a Springfield.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
I own one, and have handled and shot both.

-Good slide to frame fit and lock up on both.
-Colt thumb safety will likely be squishy, and the Ronin won’t be. If you don’t ride the thumb safety ( I do) you won’t care.
-Colt has a checkered front strap. Ronin does not.
-Colt trigger guard is undercut, Ronin is not.
-Colt I believe has a front night sight. Ronin is red fiber optic.
-Colt has standard sized grip panels. Ronin is slim stocks, and slim bushings

All the Springer's pieces and parts are MIM, although I have 5000 through a SA Range Officer with zero issues. I can’t speak to the Colt’s internals.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
My Combat Elite is a slightly older model and looks exactly like the Ronin. I really like it and it is well made. When I first got it I took it by a shop in Houston and a very knowledgeable smith looked at it and also commented on how well it was put together. The Springers are good guns too. Honestly, I don't like the looks of the new Combat with the stainless and black fixtures but that is just me. It is your money so get what ever ones talks to you the loudest. Shoot the snot out of it and be happy either way.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
I should add that the trigger in the Ronin was gritty with a little creep out of the box, and I had read that in a couple of reviews. But I’ve got about 300 through mine and creep is all but gone, and has smoothed out where the trigger scrapes against the inside of the bead blasted frame.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Colts ignition parts are mim now also per the last "gunsite" I worked on a week ago or so.
Combat Elite may still use tool steel, I don't know either way.

Either will make a nice pistol. I own a bunch of SA's for using pistols (Competition with tool steel ignition parts in them)
But
There is just something about a Colt I really like!

Absolutely no help at all! LOL

·
born in the wrong century
4,332 Posts
Thinking about picking up my first (non-WW2 era) 1911. Trying to decide between the Springfield Ronin and the Colt Combat elite.

I prefer the look of the Combat Elite. But I'm not sure that justifies a price tag that is nearly double. What should I know and consider about both? Any recommendations?

Springfield Ronin View attachment 481577

Colt Combat Elite
View attachment 481579

You can't go wrong either way. Both are really nicely equipped pistols.

It would be mighty nice if SA still offered customer desired upgrades through their custom shop that would allow your lifetime warranty to remain intact. But...that's over with, I'm afraid.

Both guns look great.

I have a few SA but only one of them came with a trigger pull that felt good out of the box. The three Colts I've owned had nice feeling triggers from the start. Accuracy was significantly better from the SA guns.

I guess it's a mixed bag. The Colt may run great for you right out of the box with no need for anything to be done to it. It's setup really nicely.

The Ronin is appealing. I've put S&A mainspring magwells on two of my SA (Loaded & RO) that truly dropped in and fit really well. The checkering on the S&A parts runs the full span of the rear and offers a super grip. Combined with the VZ Op2's I added the guns anchor in hand extremely well and rival the traction I get from a TRP with 20lpi frontstrap checkering.

I'm just rambling, sorry.

For my use....I'd probably run the Colt as is.

For the SA.....I'd add one of the aforementioned S&A magwells and some VZ grips....probably adding $200 to the cost. FWIW, the triggers in my SA guns did improve with range time.

Good luck. Tough choice.....but....you simply can't go wrong in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts