Buying my first Nighthawk.

Discussion in 'Nighthawk Custom' started by BigT_Franklin, Feb 12, 2017.

If you had to pick....?

1. GRP Recon

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Enforcer Recon

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. BigT_Franklin

BigT_Franklin Awesome Member

Feb 2, 2017
    After debating between Wilson and Nighthawk, I have decided that my first and perfect 1911 is going to be a Nighthawk. That being said, I am having a hard time deciding between the GRP Recon or the Enforcer Recon. I am fairly new to the 1911 game, but not to the gun world. Lol.

I am a cop, with the plan that this pistol to be my every day duty weapon. I am a firearms instructor, SWAT, blah, blah, blah and have ran MORE than my fair share of Glocks, Berettas, wheel guns and a various assortment of other pistols in about every condition and scenario, but always find myself drawn back to the 1911. My current duty weapon is a Glock 17, but it just doesn't "fit me right." A light rail is a MUST HAVE but haven't made up my mind on any other options or upgrades that I may want to include in my perfect pistol. I am even having a hard time deciding between .45 or 9mm. Leaning towards 9mm though..... Cosmetics aren't as important to me, as this gun will see its fair share of use and abuse, but am thinking that a naked slide would fit my taste a little more than the engraving. Any advise, experience, input, etc. would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jimhoag and salelcid like this.
  2. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Of those 2 the Enforcer Recon. But I personally would buy a Shadowhawk or Warhawk.. But you cant go wrong with a NH of any flavor IMO.. I would buy a NH over a Wilson 9 out of 10 times. If your going to use it a lot and carry it a lot I personally would go with a 45 as they are generally more reliable in a full size 1911 then a 9MM. Especially once they are good and dirty..

3. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Welcome to the Addiction BigT'

BigT_Franklin likes this.
  4. LBC45

LBC45 In Therapy, no hope

Sep 8, 2011
    Good choice on a Nighthawk.
    Thank you for your long LEO service, Wish you a safe journey to Retirement.
    Welcome to a great forum. Regards.

BigT_Franklin and Stogies like this.
  5. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Great choice, you will love any Nighthawk!

BigT_Franklin, Stogies and boatdoc like this.
  6. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015

START with a shadowhawk commander or if you can swing it a warhawk--the compact size is perfect for carry and the guns are spectacular

I prefer aflat trigger. learned it by buying a shadowhawk :)

NHC is tops. Nothing wrong with Wilson. I like the options included for the price by NHC. With WC you have to add options on your own

you will not be disappointed with a NHC and eventually you might try a WC as well

good luck

7. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    Both
    Both Shadow Hawk and War Hawk in commander are great guns, but I believe he wants a light rail which neither of those have

8. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Either is a great choice. Good luck deciding!

9. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    Warhawk recon gets my vote

10. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Enforcer.
    Course my photography skills are not on par with NHC's photographer. :)

[​IMG]

11. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    IMG_3174.JPG IMG_3175.JPG IMG_3183.JPG IMG_3271.JPG The GRP recon is awesome and you could get your slide done like this.

Jimhoag, BigT_Franklin and Stogies like this.
  12. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    I almost want to say buy the SA Range Officer for duty and never put that NHC in a holster! Thank you for your service sir!

13. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    Enforcer has a couple extra features like slide top serrations and I think a magwell...? The GRP recon comes with a Surefire light though, so that might be advantageous, plus it's the cheapest option. Build quality is the same on any model of NH. You can't go wrong.

45caldude, Stogies and duketbrd88 like this.
  14. LBC45

LBC45 In Therapy, no hope

Sep 8, 2011
    duke, that is a sweet one, thank you for the pics.

15. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    :confused:

[​IMG]

duketbrd88, Mike0251 and Stogies like this.
  16. BigT_Franklin

Feb 2, 2017
    Is that the GRP or Enforcer? Gorgeous gun!

17. BigT_Franklin

Feb 2, 2017
    May i aak what would make you go with a War Hark or Shadow Hawk over the GRP or Enforcer?

18. BigT_Franklin

Feb 2, 2017
    Thank you sir!

19. BigT_Franklin

Feb 2, 2017
    I would go with a full size model because I am not worried about concealment. It will be on my duty belt. Wilsons ARE nice weapons. There are a few things that I Wilson does/offers that I don't like or agree with. Additionally, Wilson left a bad taste in my mouth the last few times I have delt with them. They may have great customer service, but they weren't very personable when I spoke to them last. I'll just leave it at that for now...

Pablomigraine likes this.
  20. BigT_Franklin

Feb 2, 2017
    You are correct, sir. If neither of them have a light rail, they are out of the running.

Stogies likes this.