C&S Sear Spring

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Beau Etienne, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Beau Etienne

Beau Etienne Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I ordered and received, from Brownells, a C&S sear (light ) spring and I could swear they have changed the wording on this product since then. I may be old, but I don't recall any warning. I have since received it, but have yet to install it.

I remember 'Reduces the trigger pull approximately 1.5lb while maintaining a safe spring pressure. This is the same spring that we furnish in the trigger pull kits.'

As per their most recent rewording ...'hammer begins to follow after installation of this spring, the hammer/sear engagement is incorrect and should be repaired. This is the same spring that we furnish in the trigger pull kits'.

The part I don't recall reading is 'hammer begins to follow after installation of this spring, the hammer/sear engagement is incorrect and should be repaired. '

Anyone know anything about this? Seems like they're saying it may go auto?

TIA

2. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    *'hammer begins to follow after installation of this spring, the hammer/sear engagement is incorrect and should be repaired.*
    Don't pick and choose what text to include with your quoted published statements. If you are trying to make your point, include the full text of the description of this product...

3. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    I’ve been using those light pull sear springs for years, and have never seen that warning before.

That said, I seriously doubt that the product has changed any, and the “warning” is likely some lawyer speak that the bean counters wanted added...

4. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    The first one I installed about 5 years ago had that statement included in the instructions .

Beau Etienne and Uncle Bob like this.
  5. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    I've got 1 in both Springfields. 5+ thousand rounds through each. No problem

6. Beau Etienne

Jul 11, 2020
    The entire description IS included. Where did you see that it was not, before commenting?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Badabing11 likes this.
  7. Beau Etienne

Jul 11, 2020
    Thanks for all the helpful input, guys.

Badabing11 likes this.
  8. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    I suppose I've never read the warnings included but have used the C&S sear spring since Colt ceased selling parts. As long as YOUR hammer doesn't follow and all other safety checks are passed followed by a load 2 in the mag range session until proven, you're GtG

Beau Etienne likes this.
  9. bladeandbarrel

bladeandbarrel ISO The Very Best 1911's Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2019
  10. Rick McC.

May 3, 2013
    I never got any instructions that I know of. They all just came individually wrapped small plastic bags.

I’ve put them in Colts, Springfields, A.O.’s, and Kimbers without any issues.

Beau Etienne likes this.
  11. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    You know , I might be remembering reading it online somewhere, like on Brownells or C&S website , or in the fine print in the label . I do remember seeing it somewhere cause I was replacing a spring in a gun that had hammer follow, and was hoping it wasn’t gonna need additional work

Beau Etienne likes this.
  12. Welder49

Welder49 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2020

From the C&S website:
    “Reduces the trigger pull APPROXIMATELY 1.5lb while maintaining a safe spring pressure. If the hammer begins to follow after installation of this spring, the hammer/sear engagement is incorrect and should be repaired. This is the same spring that we furnish in our trigger pull kits“

You left out the word IF. The way you quoted it makes it sound like the hammer WILL follow if their spring is installed. Leaving out that little word has an affect on how people read your post.
    FWIW, I have their sear springs in my guns and have had no issues.

13. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    The warning they are trying to give is that if you have hammer follow after installing the sear Spring Then your hammer and Sear interface is most likely incorrect in which case that would need repaired for the seer spring to work safely.

Welder49, Badabing11 and Beau Etienne like this.
  14. Beau Etienne

Jul 11, 2020
    Welder49,

Again, one more time, I INCLUDED THE ENTIRE DESCRIPTION from Brownells which I stated was where I placed and received that order. The word 'if' is NOT there.

I know my 62 year old butt is new here, but WTH is the problem?

I appreciate the opportunity to contribute and learn here, but I didn't anticipate such nit picking drama.

Here it is in all it's glory, from Brownells:
    Reduces the trigger pull approximately 1.5lb while maintaining a safe spring pressure hammer begins to follow after installation of this spring, the hammer/sear engagement is incorrect and should be repaired. This is the same spring that we furnish in the trigger pull kits.

Thank You

Badabing11 likes this.
  15. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    Lol! I got ya the first time through. But, I’m also 62 ;)

Beau Etienne likes this.
  16. Beau Etienne

Jul 11, 2020
    :):):)

17. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Your not gonna last long with your 62 year old butt acting like that. People were trying to tell you even if the word IF is not included it is implied. Specifics or nit picky stuff as you call it is absolutely necessary when it comes to hand gun functions and safety..

I can appreciate you stating the instructions just as written, but you asked for advice and then got it, now the only nit picking drama I see is you getting bent outta shape cause someone questioned your wording..
    If you think that Welder 49 response was nit picky drama you ain't seen nothing yet. Your in for a treat if ya stay long..

Now don't t take this the wrong way I'm just telling ya thicker skin is going to be a must in here..

And welcome to the best 1911 forum in existence..

18. Beau Etienne

Jul 11, 2020
    I think my 62 year old skin is thick enough. Things I have to say may get under the skin of others when someone says that I stated, or did not state something and it's untrue.
    Reading back on Welder49's post I can see that he meant no ill intent and Welder, if you read this you have my apology, sans excuses, sir. Thanks for you input.
    Thanks for the welcome, IA.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Welder49 and Integrity Arms like this.
  19. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    You'll do just fine here and again welcome to the forum a helluva good bunch in here for sure.

20. Rick McC.

May 3, 2013
    Couple of young damn 62 year old whippersnappers! :roflmaro:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted