Cabot Vintage Classic Lefty initial review and pics

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by khend1, Dec 25, 2018.

1. khend1

khend1 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2013
    I went to a gun show looking for steel targets this past weekend and came home with a Cabot. SMH... Talk about a curveball I wasn’t expecting, but as I was looking in a case of a seller that carries most of the semi-custom brands, this one caught my eye. I asked to handle it and thought to myself, “this is not like the Cabots I used to see on the internet.”. I gave it back to the gentleman and went home. Of course, I couldn’t get it off my mind. I had to try it, and form my own opinions of this brand. So, I opened up the safe, looked for what I don’t ever shoot, and went back to the show to trade for the Cabot.

I got home, placed the insanely nice case it came with on a shelf to collect dust, took it apart to clean and oil, and went to the range. Slow fire at 15 yards I checked zero and it was dead nuts on. I continued shooting a mix of slow and fast fire that day with no hiccups, as well as twice the following day, and once the day after that. I did not shoot a lot, maybe 350 rounds, but it never malfunctioned, which somewhat surprised me. I’ll continue to put more rounds thru it before I will say it’s a reliable pistol, but it’s off to a great start.

To my understanding, this pistol class from Cabot does not have their clone technology. Those are even more $. These are still made from stainless billet, but there are 2 or 3 smiths that fit and assemble them. Slide to frame fit, barrel, blending, and trigger components are done by the smiths and not “cloned”. A chance for some soul to come with the gat. ;-)

I am a lefty and that’s why I chose to try out a lefty. Muscle memory, or whatever you want to call it, is a strong thing. You should have seen me trying to disassemble it using what I call the slide-stop-first method. lol. Monkey/football scene right there! Same with ejecting mags. I will leave the whole left/right thing out of my pros and cons for the Cabot.

Positives of the Cabot so far...

*The rhombus checkering on the front strap and msh is great. It grabs hold and doesn’t let go once you begin firing. It is hard to explain the feeling. It almost feels smooth until you put even a slight squeeze on. It is now one of my favorites.

*The rear cocking serrations may look wrong to some, including myself, but they work. I went down the line of each 1911 I own, and compared racking the slide back to back. These gave me those most purchase.

*Racking by hand is smooooth. No wiggle between frame and slide. Brand new, there was a hint of what I think some call a tight fit. Not new Springfield Pro tight, or new Les Baer tight, but still that initial “hold” before the slide breaks free. It is already diminishing a bit, and has that solid feel to it. I noticed it has the disco cut on the slide, which also aids in that perceived smooveness.

*The blending is done very well, in my opinion. Rear of the slide, extractor, ejector, and rear sight are almost seamless and follow a very nice line to the grip safety. The grip safety fit isn’t to the level of top tier smiths, but I wouldn’t expect it to be either. When not engaged, it is blended on top with no hangups. When engaged, it is blended below where the web of my hands is in contact. No ridges or hangups here either. Cabot’s website says it has a “machined-in-place perfect fit ejector.” I’d like to know more about that.

*I like how they did their front sight. Instead of a dovetail running side to side, it runs longitudinally and I believe is held on by the barrel bushing. Gives it a very clean look and don’t think it could ever fall out. Someone may be able to come up with how this is a negative function wise?

Meh’s of the Cabot so far...

*The finish. I don’t know how it was achieved or been a fan of pre-worn finishes before, but this has been growing on me since I first saw it. It could become a strong positive soon. I understand it is supposed to be durable, or what’s left of it is. haha

*The trigger doesn’t rival the best I have felt, but is still pretty decent. There is a very slight creep before break, but take up is minimal and reset is firm. I measured 3 lb 10 oz multiple times at break. I tried to measure take-up and it’s about 1 lb 6 oz if I’m doing it correctly. This came with the 3 star trigger which was curved in every direction. I switched it with a flat trigger I had laying around, but will probably order a longer curved one soon.

*I stripped the allen head of a grip screw and had to drill and extract it out. Most likely my fault using a shoddy allen wrench. You will see grip screws in the pics that it did not come with.

Negatives so far...

*The lower corners of the grips (near the msh) dig in my lower strong-hand palm. If the corner was filed down just a hair, it would be a non-issue. Beings these are wood grips with a beautiful finish, I won’t be doing it to them just yet. Being a lefty 1911, extra grips I have around don’t quite fit due to the mag release notch out and possibly the plunger tube.

*The grip safety lower pad is sharp, and after several strings of fire I began to notice it. If the sharp edge at the bottom end was relieve just a bit, it would be another non-issue.

I’ll stop here for now and just post a bunch of pics. There’s only so much reading a person can handle. I’ll just add that it rivals the other semi’s I’ve owned. Some were in the price range of this one. I understand my opinion isn’t worth squat, but there is not much out there on the more recent Cabot offerings. My preconceived thoughts on them has now changed, at least for this series of guns. I just thought I’d share since it appears Rob from @AlchemyCustomWeaponry is doing great things there.

EF28A514-E9A3-45BB-9CFC-D0A63179555A.jpeg B58383C7-0F9F-4D7D-9E7E-4C0101C9A1D6.jpeg 36A6489F-74D6-4535-9344-A0FD0ECEEE83.jpeg E1776A79-66AD-4946-998D-E42BBC2B6FFA.jpeg DCBF0FCC-C737-4E59-9C06-B367CD6877B7.jpeg E95558A0-3BA4-420D-ADB2-E1043E342C98.jpeg 7B4D45F9-8FDC-4DBE-B332-1558FBC0D274.jpeg 7899D191-501E-431C-9D2E-94B194D7A886.jpeg A8469C96-98EB-4582-A845-3E0BE3A824C5.jpeg

cwoods, neogirevik1, Whiten and 17 others like this.
  2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    The machined in place ejector is done like WC does their guns, they are placed in a slot and machined to fit the slide while it is on the gun.. They have a picture of the type of ejector used on Brownells, I think WC calls it their heavy duty ejector. Well the Cabot is done the same way.. Most ejectors are held in with two separate legs and only pinned through the front leg. I think if you look at the slide on the cabot there will be two pins holding this ejector in. Or this style of ejector I should say.. Rob From @AlchemyCustomWeaponry would be the one who could better explain this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    khend1 likes this.

3. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Glad you picked this up and reviewed it. The Vintage Classic Commander is one I strongly considered when George had one in stock earlier in the year. I love the look of this model, and love that Rob is now overseeing everything. May be one I pick up in 2019. Hope you continue to enjoy it!

The whole left handed build idea is just too cool.

cwoods, khend1, Raylan Givens and 2 others like this.
  4. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Exemplary report, K. Well done....

khend1 and Jollyroger1 like this.
  5. crc

crc Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2012
    I always enjoy your reviews. Any chance of doing a video?
    Thanks

khend1 likes this.
  6. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Great review, thanks for posting it. I looked at the commander in LGS and agree on your checkering comment - felt very comfortable but grippy when squeezed.

khend1 likes this.
  7. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Just a FYI --- yes your pistol does have the "cloning" technology. It is all in the basic parts frame and slide for example. This is why the hand fitting is minimal to a certain extent. I own a few Cabot's and they are all exemplary.

khend1 likes this.
  8. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks! Interesting pistol

khend1 likes this.
  9. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    With the stylish "second hand factory finish" you can knock off those sharp corners and it will just look like part of the gimmick.

10. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    That’s a good review and nice writing. Most people in the internet age shorten all their writings. I’m fine with the long version. It is cool to see a left handed 1911. It plays tricks on my eyes.

cwoods, Jollyroger1 and khend1 like this.
  11. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    I have always agreed with your complaint about both the grip corners and the bottom edge of the grip safety. As you know, I am open to any and all criticism. I will get those areas addressed pronto. Thanks for the write-up. I know this was an impulse buy for you and I'm glad the gun is performing well for you.

12. khend1

Mar 10, 2013
    Thanks, and I’m sure a video can be done soon. Lame action scene or would you rather I just talk about it on the tailgate?

Thanks, and I’m glad to not be the only one with those concerns. Overall, a great 1911 that I don’t regret buying at all, even if done on an impulse.

cwoods, Jollyroger1 and Steve Owens like this.
  13. crc

crc Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2012
    How about both?

khend1 and Steve Owens like this.
  14. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    It's the time of the year for the Infamous Khend Frozen Mud Test.
    Links to a previous test on another gat upon request.

15. khend1

Mar 10, 2013
    Oh boy, lol....unseasonably warm right now, but the weekend is showing 12 degrees Saturday night!

neogirevik1, limbkiller and Stromburg like this.
  16. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

Nov 4, 2011
    Don't have to worry about hurting the finish.

neogirevik1, khend1 and limbkiller like this.
  17. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    :) :) :) Can we talk about calibers? :) :) :)

18. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

Nov 4, 2011
    What do you want to say about calibers? We have 9mm, 9x21, 10mm, 38 Super, and 45 ACP. Any calibers other than that I have no interest in...and a couple listed I have no interest in. As you know, the only other I'd add would be 9x23 but there aren't too many fans out there.

19. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    :) You know which one I want! We have discussed it before and glad you will add it! Will call you to discuss the specifics! :)

You coming to the DSC here in late January?

20. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

Nov 4, 2011
    It's not really my call on adding additional calibers. LOL

Never been to the Dallas show and most likely won't be there. I won't even be at SHOT.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted