1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 339 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cabot Guns seems to have a different approach to building a custom or semi custom 1911 instead of hand fitting each part of the gun, Cabot starts with a solid piece of stainless steel and uses state of the art machining to make gun parts with areospace tolerances. I don't see how in todays modern times a gunsmith can hand lap or fit a barrel to the kind of high quality todays super high-tec CNC, Laser, EDM Machines can deliver. Has Cabot set a new standard in precision tolerances and quality not seen before in the gun world? Am I wrong?

· Premium Member
3,902 Posts
Cabot Guns seems to have a different approach to building a custom or semi custom 1911 instead of hand fitting each part of the gun, Cabot starts with a solid piece of stainless steel and uses state of the art machining to make gun parts with areospace tolerances. I don't see how in todays modern times a gunsmith can hand lap or fit a barrel to the kind of high quality todays super high-tec CNC, Laser, EDM Machines can deliver. Has Cabot set a new standard in precision tolerances and quality not seen before in the gun world? Am I wrong?
Do a little search on here and you will find threads on this, ad nauseum.

· Registered
7,222 Posts
Robot made 1911’s have no soul !
True words

Not to mention Robot / Cabot made guns are fugly as all heck!

OP, the search feature is your friend. There are some cabot fans but Id say that they are few and far between as compared to Alchemy, Wilson, NH, etc.

· Premium Member
WC sentinel, NH Thunder ranch, DW Valor , EB KC9,NH Counselor
4,297 Posts
I am interested in picking one up - I am a NH ,DW,WC and EB fan and have not dipped into ACW yet
Cabot or ACW is next on my list 👍

· Registered
588 Posts
Robot made 1911’s have no soul !
Correct.

They are just closer to perfection than pistols whose parts are filed on, then lapped because they don't fit properly to begin with.

This sounds similar to the argument on the watch forum that only mechanical watches have "soul". Then there's the Citizen Eco Drive high accuracy quartz watches in comparison. With a little light to charge the capacitor now and then, they'll run at least 10 years, never be off more than 10 seconds per year, have a perpetual calendar that automatically shows the correct date for the next 100 years, and of course they're beautifully finished. Yeah...who needs things that are on the cutting edge of technology.

· Registered
1,498 Posts
Correct.

They are just closer to perfection than pistols whose parts are filed on, then lapped because they don't fit properly to begin with.

This sounds similar to the argument on the watch forum that only mechanical watches have "soul". Then there's the Citizen Eco Drive high accuracy quartz watches in comparison. With a little light to charge the capacitor now and then, they'll run at least 10 years, never be off more than 10 seconds per year, have a perpetual calendar that automatically shows the correct date for the next 100 years, and of course they're beautifully finished. Yeah...who needs things that are on the cutting edge of technology.
Then there is the Harley vs Honda debate. You either get it or you dont. Either is fine, depends on your taste in which ever. I guess thats why ice cream comes in more flavors than vanilla or chocolate,

· Registered
2,108 Posts
I think it would be fun to get Rob liquored up and talking about what they REALLY do there. Along with a lot of other people in the industry.

I noted that the (discontinued) S100 got a "final hand fitting step" yet it cost LESS than the magic machined guns. Hmm. When I was a young lad, it seemed you could not go a month without reading how "modern manufacturing" was going to bring us better guns at lower cost.
What we got was modern designs to go along with modern machining; lots of plastic and mung metal.

· Premium Member
928 Posts
I have a Cabot on order to compare to my two ACWs and it’s going to have its work cut out for it to me as nice as the ACWs. I’ve owned a couple Nighthawks and have handled a couple Wilsons, a Guncrafter, and an Ed Brown. All were nice, but none felt as nice to me as my Quantico or Prime Elite. Couple that with ultra reliability (have had issues with one or two other high end guns) and fantastic customer service, and ACW is where my gun money usually goes. The Millennial Sales Guy convinced me I needed a Cabot next or else I’d have a Prime Carry on order right now. 😂🤣

1 - 20 of 339 Posts