1911 Firearm Addicts banner
301 - 320 of 339 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Having only owned Wilson combat I've been extremely pleased with them.

I've never had a reason to want to deviate from the brand other than curiosity. I can say some of the Nighthawk offerings do like fantastic, and I have wondering how the one gunsmith approach differs from Wilson's one gunsmith per component type of approach.

· Registered
244 Posts
I hear you, totally. While I haven’t experienced front sight drift, it happens enough that Cabot felt they wanted to address it, apparently.

I guess I’m just trying to show small glimpses as to what Cabot’s philosophy is. If you’re not the type of person that cares about 100% stamped-US-sourced steel; if you don’t care that every single last detailed piece was made from steel billet, not purchased or MIM; if you don’t care about full-cycle commander technology; if innovation doesn’t matter much to you, then don’t even look at Cabot, that’s perfectly fine.

Their company is different. The reasons they do this are different, and the end result is that they’re extremely pleasant to shoot, and in my opinion, the best 1911 maker out there.

Side note: I’m a Wilson fanatic. My purchase of the Cabot was a shot in the dark, a leap. I now have 2, haha.
Much of what you're describing is commonplace from in the semi-custom market. No MIM? Welcome to 2010. I guess I really question the exposure you have to other brands?

· Registered
713 Posts
Ditto on the Wilson Combat products and Customer Service. BOTH are state of the art. I also love my Ed Brown Kobra Carry (with one caviat which I'm going to start a thread about :p). I'm very curious about ACW. I'd like to examine and shoot one in person. I'm not a fan of Les Baer's stuff and I'm kinda neutral on Nighthawks. I've handled NHCs a lot, side by side with the Wilsons...and always found the Wilsons more to my liking.

Reactions: Dwvalor

· Registered
ACW Quantico / Colt Rail Gun / Staccato P DPO 2011
221 Posts
Had a Wilson CQB for 10 years this year. Bought an ACW Quantico. Shot both…….sold my Wilson after receiving the ACW so I could fund a second ACW. Definitely trust this firearm for a “when **** hits the fan” situation. No regrets.

I used WC customer service many times. They are awesome. However they are limited to their CS list/options. (From my experience). There is something about ACW’s CS service. It’s small and personable. Rob and Nick go above and beyond to help their customers. Even with requests “not on the list”. Obviously I’m not saying one is better than the other in quality and CS. I’m just saying for ME, I’m a ACW fan for life.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

· Registered
107 Posts
Had a Wilson CQB for 10 years this year. Bought an ACW Quantico. Shot both…….sold my Wilson after receiving the ACW so I could fund a second ACW. Definitely trust this firearm for a “when **** hits the fan” situation. No regrets.

I used WC customer service many times. They are awesome. However they are limited to their CS list/options. (From my experience). There is something about ACW’s CS service. It’s small and personable. Rob and Nick go above and beyond to help their customers. Even with requests “not on the list”. Obviously I’m not saying one is better than the other in quality and CS. I’m just saying for ME, I’m a ACW fan for life.

View attachment 1113873
What is that rear sight

· Registered
107 Posts
Just looking at the ACW prime. Real nice pistol, the billboard is tastefully done, it has classic lines and the brushed flats are just right in my opinion, the guns got everything you need and nothing you don’t …unless you need exotic materials or a piece that is just to look at and admire, the beauty of the 1911 is that it can accommodate almost everyone’s taste

· Premium Member
WC sentinel, NH Thunder ranch, DW Valor , EB KC9,NH Counselor
4,327 Posts
Just looking at the ACW prime. Real nice pistol, the billboard is tastefully done, it has classic lines and the brushed flats are just right in my opinion, the guns got everything you need and nothing you don’t …unless you need exotic materials or a piece that is just to look at and admire, the beauty of the 1911 is that it can accommodate almost everyone’s taste
Had one
Nice pistol for sure they do a great job with the bluing and the comfort carry checkering cant be overstated it is fantastic . A very traditional , classic 1911 built to a high standard
Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Material property

· Registered
107 Posts

· Premium Member
1,303 Posts
When **** hits the fan id rather have a wilson or nighthawk on my hip than a cabot. They do some great machining but to me id rather take a jim wilson build supergrade or one of the top smiths at nh
I own Cabots and Nighthawks, although my Hawks outnumber the number of Cabots I own. This is simply because I have been collecting and shooting Hawks for more years and I only started buying Cabots a few years ago.

Both are outstanding 1911s, never had an issue w/ either gun or either company, both offer outstanding customer support and make fantastic, rock solid guns. IMHO both companies build guns to exceed customer expectations, my words not theirs. That said, my EDC happens to be a 45ACP Les Baer. I bought the Baer used and the finish is a little (very little) beat up, plus I only paid $1,500 for my Baer, so I don't mind a few additional scratches.

· Registered
NHC Agent 2, Colt Combat Elite Commander, AMT Hardballer LS, Ed Brown Custom, Cabot NERO (on order)
182 Posts
Older thread, I know. Just figured I'd comment.

I own a NHC, and an Ed Brown. But are extremely well made guns with their own differences. I have also shot a WC CQB. I have only handled a Cabot. They are tight as hell, and in my opinion, depending what model your looking at really nice guns. So I went ahead and ordered a Nero. It'll be a 12+ month wait but I'm OK with that (gives me time to pay off debts I have). I really dig some of their stuff. Can't go wrong with ANY of the names in the title. I have, unfortunately, never handled an ACW.

· Registered
76 Posts
No way I’m good enough to know the difference between all these. They are all great. I do like Ed Brown’s stainless. If I wanted a black gun, I would go with the others who offer DLC or Melonite or blued.

· Registered
NHC Agent 2, Colt Combat Elite Commander, AMT Hardballer LS, Ed Brown Custom, Cabot NERO (on order)
182 Posts
No way I’m good enough to know the difference between all these. They are all great. I do like Ed Brown’s stainless. If I wanted a black gun, I would go with the others who offer DLC or Melonite or blued.
My EB is actually all black. I’d say my EB is really really right , where my NHC is tight but buttery smooth when racking the slide. Both are tack drivers for sure. I currently have 4 1911s, and my AMT longslide (more of a novelty than anything else) is by far the weakest. But that’s why they don’t exist anymore… I would love a chance to shoot a Cabot before my Nero arrives but I doubt I’ll be able to.

· Registered
76 Posts
My EB is actually all black. I’d say my EB is really really right , where my NHC is tight but buttery smooth when racking the slide. Both are taxi drivers for sure. I currently have 4 1911s, and my AMT longslide (more of a novelty than anything else) is by far the weakest. But that’s why they don’t exist anymore… I would love a chance to shoot a Cabot before my Nero arrives but I doubt I’ll be able to.
My only reason is the gen4 coating Ed brown uses on their stainless to make them black is just another Cerakote type coating. For the money I think they should offer more robust finishes. It’s just a cheaper finish IMO on a gun that costs a lot. They don’t even give you the option to get the others I mentioned, you have to send it elsewhere.

· Registered
182 Posts
My only reason is the gen4 coating Ed brown uses on their stainless to make them black is just another Cerakote type coating. For the money I think they should offer more robust finishes. It’s just a cheaper finish IMO on a gun that costs a lot. They don’t even give you the option to get the others I mentioned, you have to send it elsewhere.
that’s absolutely true. I wish they still offered blueing I’d have had mine blued. But it’s nice to have it bead blasted back to SS.

301 - 320 of 339 Posts