Can I Keep My Mags Loaded for Weeks, Months...

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by E39, Nov 16, 2011.

1. E39

E39 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 15, 2011
    ...Years?

Yeah, I went there. I tried a few sources (this sub-forum, a few books I bought, etc.). My "experienced" friends at work say I shouldn't keep the magazines loaded. I keep a few of the 7-round mags loaded (kinda helps if you need to use the gun). I have a few SA 10-round mags I have loaded to "break them in". :rofl2:

I dunno. I'm tired of consulting the world's most authoritative source of all knowledge --> The Internet (via Google). What say you renegades of the 1911 world?

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011

3. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Springs are worn when they are working (compress and expand). If they're at a constant state, they are fine.

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Yes.. I keep about 40 loaded.. Ron

5. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Yup. All of my 1911 HD/SD guns are always loaded and cocked and locked. And have been so for years.

Even my AR mags have been loaded for years.

6. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I keep all mine loaded except my rotary mags. Those 10/22 mags suck after they've been loaded for weeks at a time.

7. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    The next time someone tells you that loading a mag will ruin the spring over time... tell them to do this little experiment.

Take a normal, unloaded mag... remove the spring. See how much longer the spring is that the mag body when uncompressed? That's right kids.. hehehe.... even an unloaded magazine has the spring compressed.

The only way to wear out a mag spring is to cycle it over & over.. or stress it beyond is capacity (stretch or over compress).

8. E39

E39 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks all. I came to the right place for answers.

9. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    There ya go....:thumb:

10. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I remember as a kid growing up in Denmark, all the WW 2 leftover stuff from the germans and danish resistance fighters. Among a lot of things, we kid's found loaded P-38, P08, P35, Browning 1922, 1911's etc. guns with magazines, that had been loaded for 30 yrs.
    We shot it all up outside the city, until the police showed up and spanked our butts and took the guns away from us. Only guns that jammed as I remember, was the P08's. Most likely due to lack of oil and weak grips on them. Well, we were only 6-7 yrs old at the time.
    Boy wish I have had them guns today.
    By the way..one of my best friends shot a whole mag from a schmeisser P40 and hit 2 bicycles and a mail box. Gee after the police and his dad was done with him, he couldn't walk for a week.

11. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I just shot 3 AK mags that have been loaded for 10 yrs.

When I hit the range last week,I remembered the 3 mags and took them along with my WASR 10/63.

No issues.

But then again,it's an AK. :lol:

DAT85

12. Chuck Martel

Chuck Martel Hammer Time!

Nov 17, 2011
    Ha thats awesome!

13. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    That is awesome 50!

14. gajones06

gajones06 Member

Nov 26, 2011
    to bring a dead thread back to life. If I know it will be sitting for a long time I wont load it all the way, so an eight shot magazine will only get seven. I had a few colt magazines break a few years back at the base plate so I always try to make sure they aren't under full pressure constantly.

15. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I got a magazine full of 45's from what I believe was the first world war. It was loaded with what appeared to be steel projectiles. The magazine came with a 1911 not an A1.
    Shot fine with the ammo. Used the magazine with the 1911 until I sold it..

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted