1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all,
I am a newbie with 1911, so this might be obvious, but I could not find an exact answer.

I saw @RatBikeRod offloading the Kimber form his collection, as he is moving to .38 Super [1]
From that I am assumed that this not an easy conversion (perhaps, because the barrel does not have bushing)
But wanted to check here to be sure

For the context:
I am looking for something that I can buy (at entry level) that has aluminum alloy frame (for carry) in commander size (or shorter) that can be easily converted to .38 super.

I am familiar with DW Guardian, but that's quite an expense and they are made in small quantities.

[1] SOLD - Kimber Pro Carry II Stainless 9mm

·
Premium Member
21,928 Posts
Qualification: You're a newbie.

Answer a very good gunsmith can do this for you. But you probably want some kind of adjustable sight. The pistol may not shoot both calibers to the same point of aim.

When I get off my dead ass, I'll be adding a 38 super barrel to my 9mm Ronin.

·
Good/Fast/Cheap
4,387 Posts
Have the current barrel reamed, ejector and extractor, and get some 38 super mags. Many good smiths here could help you out. Of course, I’d suggest having the barrel re-marked for the appropriate caliber. This solution only works if you have no desire to shoot 9mm out of it and want to convert super cheap. The better option is to have a second barrel fit.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,895 Posts
Title says it all,
I am a newbie with 1911, so this might be obvious, but I could not find an exact answer.

I saw @RatBikeRod offloading the Kimber form his collection, as he is moving to .38 Super [1]
From that I am assumed that this not an easy conversion (perhaps, because the barrel does not have bushing)
But wanted to check here to be sure

For the context:
I am looking for something that I can buy (at entry level) that has aluminum alloy frame (for carry) in commander size (or shorter) that can be easily converted to .38 super.

I am familiar with DW Guardian, but that's quite an expense and they are made in small quantities.

[1] SOLD - Kimber Pro Carry II Stainless 9mm
Yea, and I came full circle back to 45’s. However, with a standard bushing 9mm, the 38 Super conversion is not that tough. It typically requires fitting the right barrel bushing and the rest can be drop in. Can be is there operative word.

That Kimber was never going to make the conversion because it was a bull barrel.

If you are a beginner I would bet a good 1911 gunsmith to do it or just find one already converted. The guy to talk to is DWE here. He is the king of the 38 Super.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Kimber did make that pistol in .38 super maybe call them for a barrel?

PS, I bet the conversion would be a PITA because the barrel is shorter than a commander.

My Kimber Pro Carry II in super has a bbl OD of .700" and is 4" long with 1/8" sticking out of the muzzle. Perhaps a Commander barrel with Wilson ramp will drop in? Then you can cut and crown it. A "semi fit" (needing attention around the hood) Fusion barrel .696" OD may work for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, and I came full circle back to 45’s. ....

If you are a beginner I would bet a good 1911 gunsmith to do it or just find one already converted. The guy to talk to is DWE here. He is the king of the 38 Super.
@RatBikeRod , if I may ask -- what things made you go back to .45 ?
I assume you still prefer commander size as far as dimensions?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Rock Island does not use the Wilson/Nowlin ramp, they use Para and AFAIK so does Ruger and that link is for a 9mm.

Sticking with 9mm is the easiest and least expensive thing to do.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,895 Posts
@RatBikeRod , if I may ask -- what things made you go back to .45 ?
I assume you still prefer commander size as far as dimensions?
No real notable reason, other than just more availability of 45 components for both the gun and reloading. I still think the 38 Super is a really great companion to any 9mm. I wish more was available.

The only real problem I had when I was running a conversion is feeding. But that I was able to diagnose to my reloading dies belling the base of the case a bit and making them not all fit well. I ended up going to all 38 Super Comp brass for my reloads and this problem went away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts