Can minor barrel bump make the recoil impulse suck?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by puddi_nugget, Feb 5, 2019.

1. puddi_nugget

puddi_nugget Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    I have started to lose sleep over this. I have owned many 9mm 1911s, and my experience has been that Dan Wesson and Springfield Armory RO's had the softest feeling impulse and the muzzle hardly moved. Other's (Colt) have been OK, but nothing to write home about.

Fast forward a few years later, and I have recently really started to train again. I am running my Wilson Combat CQB in 9mm. After a few thousand rounds, I am noticing really nasty contact marks on my slide stop. I see slight indents on my lower lugs. I cannot say for certain if this is barrel bump - I am not a gunsmith.

I thought it was me just being loopy, but recoil impulse feels "irratic" when I go side by side with other 1911s in 9mm. The gun is using a #19 MS and I've tried both #12.5 chrome silicon and a #11 chrome silicon.

So is there any correlation to what I am experiencing with the fact that there may be barrel bump going on with this gun?

Let me see if I can get pictures up.

2. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    Here are pics.

Attached Files:

3. texasnurse

texasnurse Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Springfields in average weigh 2oz more than Colts and other 1911A1s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    I'm talking about how the slide tracks, it's like shooting a USP 9mm. Erratic is the word that comes to mind. I swear I am not crazy, it just feels WEIRD when it unlocks.

I feel binding trying to get the slide stop out. Also this Wilson CQB weighs more than the PM9 and RO.

5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Look at the VIS and see if the back of the barrel is beating up the impact surface.

6. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    The binding is not out of the norm for a countersunk slide stop.. If that is what it is. Slightly strong indent spring tension from the plunger tube can cause that as well.

7. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    What springs were you running in the other guns? I would personally start with a new 23lb mainspring and 12lb recoil spring from Wolff and see what it feels like.

8. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    No countersunk slide stop. I will check the VIS as well - thank you Steve

Steve Owens likes this.
  9. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
  10. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    IMG-0610.JPG IMG-0613.JPG IMG-0615.JPG IMG-0614.JPG IMG-0616.JPG IMG-0610.JPG IMG-0613.JPG IMG-0615.JPG IMG-0614.JPG IMG-0616.JPG IMG-0610.JPG Here are more photos.

- I attached a photo of the left rail as it is completely worn in - shiny and all. The right side has almost all armor tuff left.
    - The under side of the slide stop - it looks like a mess. I do not know what it means though.
    - Top of the slide stop shows lots of uneven wear.
    - Don't know how to interpret the VIS wear - there is contact on the corner though...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  11. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    It does appear you got some bump going on for sure and some uneven barrel lug contact which would definitely bind up the pin on it's way out.. Does the pin get wedged if you take out the barrel bushing first and release the pressure off the recoil spring?

wrmiller likes this.
  12. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I was going to say the barrel lug contact looks really uneven, which means the barrel is probably cantered a bit, either the lugs were cut unevenly and the barrel was not straight or indicated correctly when the lugs were cut. I think I'd be sending this back to WC for some attention.. Never dealt with their CS, but I would assume this should be something they should be willing to address.

wrmiller likes this.
  13. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    Thank you Steve, I would assume that all of this can make the slide "feel" erratic as I've described when shooting.

I'll drop them an email - I just had to confirm if my suspicions were correct that something was going on.

14. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Yes sir you might even be noticing some wear around the barrel hood or the breachface walls. The barrel has to be sitting in there at a bit of an angle and putting undue stress on the slide stop pin and forcing the barrel into battery at a angle. Depending on how many rounds through the gun, would be the deciding factor if you notice any wear anywhere else. Also when you post your pics for us folks with older eyes there is an option there that says full image. If you hit the one at the very top it will post all your photos like the ones I enlarged. Or you can click each one individual. The thumbnails are a bit harder to zoom in on and get a clear picture of. You could edit them now by going into edit then other option, then just hit full image at the top and it will change all the thumbnails to larger pics.

puddi_nugget likes this.
  15. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    It looks fine, just not optimum, to me.

WC145, gaijin and Steve Owens like this.
  16. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    He was saying it was hitting really hard though Chuck, wouldn't that cause it. If it was cantered wouldn't it force the barrel hood into the breachface opening a bit crooked? I mean I know it will work obviously see worse all the time. Could it be more recoil spring and mainspring related? I mean a 9mm should shoot pretty soft, especially a 5" yes?

17. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    I sent Wilson an email, asking for their feedback. Should I go to a 23# main spring as suggested by someone above and run a 10# or 11# spring? I believe it's a 19# in it.

I swear I'm not a terrible shot. I've put about 6000 rounds through this since I got it as a wedding gift. I also certainly don't mean to stir the pot, and will gladly admit it's me. I just don't understand why I perform much better with other guns, including a custom Colt commander in 9mm.

18. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    well I thought it was near new, 6000 rounds is a lot of ammo lol.. That really isn't hard wear at all for that much shooting lol. Did it come with a 19# MS? I shoot a 10# recoil spring in my pm9 But, Chuck is right, it's not optimum but it is their production line not a custom. ya know.

19. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    A bad fit barrel definitely can affect the accuracy, I have to be honest I only shot a couple of Wilsons and am not a bad shot, but could not use their sights. I honestly couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with one the first time out. But, my buddy that brought it here was tearing up the steel lol. I was having a hard time with the sight configuration. Chuck knows a ton more about this then I do, I just know personally I don't shoot for a barrel fit like that. If it is cantered pretty good it would affect recoil some, but springs could affect that as well.

20. puddi_nugget

Feb 5, 2014
    :smurggrin: I am nicer to this gun than others.

YES to the sights. I'm not sure if they are too tall.. or if it's the U. It took time to get used to it. I know I prefer .125 wide square notches in the rear.

This is my only Wilson, I wonder if they just do something different that's just "different" - including the recoil impulse.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted