1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need the money, I wish I could hold onto both but I can’t. Took me years to track down this pre-lock 627 and Jovino 629. They are both incredible guns. Which should I keep considering scarcity, collector value and coolness factor? I Should add I have another jovino 629. It’s an effector but this one has the original box which you rarely come by.

Thanks
Ish

Attachments

· Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,919 Posts
That's easy, keep the Jovino, especially if it's a real Jovino and you have provenance showing that it is. The majority of their conversions were unmarked and it's very difficult to prove their origin, if you have that, plus the box, paperwork, and accessories it make sit far more valuable.

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's easy, keep the Jovino, especially if it's a real Jovino and you have provenance showing that it is. The majority of their conversions were unmarked and it's very difficult to prove their origin, if you have that, plus the box, paperwork, and accessories it make sit far more valuable.
It’s lettered and has the original box that says it was shipped with a 6 inch barrel. Thanks guys. I guess this wasn’t that difficult a descision. Still crazy in love with that 627.

7,919 Posts
It’s lettered and has the original box that says it was shipped with a 6 inch barrel. Thanks guys. I guess this wasn’t that difficult a descision. Still crazy in love with that 627.
Excellent!! A Jovino snubby conversion with that kind of provenance is rare as hen's teeth. You'll have an easier job finding another 627 later on than another Jovino with proof.

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent!! A Jovino snubby conversion with that kind of provenance is rare as hen's teeth. You'll have an easier job finding another 627 later on than another Jovino with proof.
My dad was a big fan of the jovino guns. I’ve got a 686 no dash and two 629’s. One 629 is marked effector. The other is the one I posted with the letter and box. Great guns. Super slick action.

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The action on the 686 is exceptionally nice. They just look stupid mean.

Attachments

7,919 Posts
Great guns, your dad had a good eye. I've had some snubby conversions - a Behlert 25-2 and a Mag-na-port Combat Mini 29-2, plus a few older snubbies that were cut down by unknown 'smiths. But no Jovinos. Currently I have a chopped 2" 1909 Colt PPS and a 3" RB .41mag 28-2 that Mark Hartshorne did for me.

Reactions: FWoo45

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great guns, your dad had a good eye. I've had some snubby conversions - a Behlert 25-2 and a Mag-na-port Combat Mini 29-2, plus a few older snubbies that were cut down by unknown 'smiths. But no Jovinos. Currently I have a chopped 2" 1909 Colt PPS and a 3" RB .41mag 28-2 that Mark Hartshorne did for me.
O man they sound awesome. Pictures when you get the chance. I’m always looking to add nice snubbies. I’m moving more towards L and K frames recently. I sold a 3 inch 66. Worst mistake, regret it till today. The Jovino 686 feels awesome but there is something about the balance of the K frames that have me recently going bananas for them again. That 41 mag sounds really sweet as do the others. The behlerts I’ve seen look a lot like the Jovinos. The finish on some are gorgeous.

7,919 Posts
O man they sound awesome. Pictures when you get the chance. I’m always looking to add nice snubbies. I’m moving more towards L and K frames recently. I sold a 3 inch 66. Worst mistake, regret it till today. The Jovino 686 feels awesome but there is something about the balance of the K frames that have me recently going bananas for them again. That 41 mag sounds really sweet as do the others. The behlerts I’ve seen look a lot like the Jovinos. The finish on some are gorgeous.
Yeah, it's easy to get wrapped up in wheel guns, just like 1911s. K frames are probably the most useable size revolver S&W ever made. I had an old M10 PPC project built into a house gun for my wife 5 or 6 years ago, the fit and balance are perfect.

This is the .41mag 28-2, I sent Mark the gun, a 4" M58 Barrel, and a titanium 357PD cylinder and he sent me back a great carry revolver.

This is the Behlert 25-2, it was really nice gun.

The Mag-na-port Combat Mini 29-2 was incredible, one of the prettiest guns I've owned. It was cut down from a 6".

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, it's easy to get wrapped up in wheel guns, just like 1911s. K frames are probably the most useable size revolver S&W ever made. I had an old M10 PPC project built into a house gun for my wife 5 or 6 years ago, the fit and balance are perfect.

This is the .41mag 28-2, I sent Mark the gun, a 4" M58 Barrel, and a titanium 357PD cylinder and he sent me back a great carry revolver.

This is the Behlert 25-2, it was really nice gun.

The Mag-na-port Combat Mini 29-2 was incredible, one of the prettiest guns I've owned. It was cut down from a 6".
My goodness those are all gorgeous. The behlert looks damn sexy and that 29-2 is killer. What’s the finish on the 28 and how does the titanium cylinder feel and function? Is the action lighter and smoother?

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’d love to get my hands on a behlert in any caliber. There’s one on gun broker now but it looks well used and priced higher than I’d pay. There’s another gun that’s really caught my attention. It’s a 4 inch 629 no dash, pinned and recessed. Few were made and I often see the 6 inch but never the 4 inchers. Thinking about making a move on it and selling one of my model 27’s to justify the purchase. I just don’t shoot a lot of 44 mag. I’ve got a Dillon 550, just haven’t started reloading the round.

7,919 Posts
My goodness those are all gorgeous. The behlert looks damn sexy and that 29-2 is killer. What’s the finish on the 28 and how does the titanium cylinder feel and function? Is the action lighter and smoother?
Yeah, those were wicked nice guns. The 28 is matte blue, except for the cylinder, obviously. It has a great double action pull but, to be honest I never even thought about the lighter cylinder affecting the trigger pull, though I'm sure it must. I had only shot like two cyls through it before sending it to Mark. The previous owner was a bubbasmith that owned a gunshop, he had swapped the original pitted 6" barrel for one that had been cut to 3.75" and was in slightly better shape but the timing was off and the cyl would bind on the forcing cone. Plus it have been dinged up and had some surface rust issues and a bit of pitting n the frame. It was pretty much a POS. Mark did the conversion and cleaned it up really well, it's still not perfect but that's okay, I'm not afraid to wear it around the farm or in the woods because it might get scratched.

I’d love to get my hands on a behlert in any caliber. There’s one on gun broker now but it looks well used and priced higher than I’d pay. There’s another gun that’s really caught my attention. It’s a 4 inch 629 no dash, pinned and recessed. Few were made and I often see the 6 inch but never the 4 inchers. Thinking about making a move on it and selling one of my model 27’s to justify the purchase. I just don’t shoot a lot of 44 mag. I’ve got a Dillon 550, just haven’t started reloading the round.
The price is high on that Behlert 58 but you don't see many signed Behlert snubby conversions, proof of originality adds value, but you'd really have to want it at $2k. Personally, I'd be more interested in that Behlert Commander that is also on gunbroker. I've had two or three Behlert 1911s and every one is one of a kind.
And, 4" blued 29s are the ****!

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, those were wicked nice guns. The 28 is matte blue, except for the cylinder, obviously. It has a great double action pull but, to be honest I never even thought about the lighter cylinder affecting the trigger pull, though I'm sure it must. I had only shot like two cyls through it before sending it to Mark. The previous owner was a bubbasmith that owned a gunshop, he had swapped the original pitted 6" barrel for one that had been cut to 3.75" and was in slightly better shape but the timing was off and the cyl would bind on the forcing cone. Plus it have been dinged up and had some surface rust issues and a bit of pitting n the frame. It was pretty much a POS. Mark did the conversion and cleaned it up really well, it's still not perfect but that's okay, I'm not afraid to wear it around the farm or in the woods because it might get scratched.

The price is high on that Behlert 58 but you don't see many signed Behlert snubby conversions, proof of originality adds value, but you'd really have to want it at $2k. Personally, I'd be more interested in that Behlert Commander that is also on gunbroker. I've had two or three Behlert 1911s and every one is one of a kind.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sale-trade/563416-ft-s-w-629-no-dash-4-p-r.html

I keep eyeing this 629. Love the pinned guns and it’s stainless. Pretty neat. That behlert commander is really nice. It’s been on there for a while now. Wish the photos were a little better. It needs a serious cleaning.

· Make it a double
17,036 Posts
I say keep the .44. If you are willing to let go of either of those, maybe I can find the courage to sell a few of my queens. Nothing as nice as those, but high on my lowly list. Thank you for the reminder that sometimes material things really are just that. Good luck to you and I hope everything is okay.

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Jim Brewster sold a 627-3 like mine last night. Check it out. It’s these kind of prices that make me both, hesitant and willing to sell. These are hot with collectors the last year. I’d love to get close to $3000 but will I find another clean 627-3 with this particular barrel, not really a fan of the slab sided and I see them way more frequently. Hate selling guns that are tough to replace. But sheesh 3 grand. What will these be worth when my kids are older?
Screenshot

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I say keep the .44. If you are willing to let go of either of those, maybe I can find the courage to sell a few of my queens. Nothing as nice as those, but high on my lowly list. Thank you for the reminder that sometimes material things really are just that. Good luck to you and I hope everything is okay.
Yeah brother everything’s great. Just renovating the family restaurant.

7,919 Posts
Jim Brewster sold a 627-3 like mine last night. Check it out. It’s these kind of prices that make me both, hesitant and willing to sell. These are hot with collectors the last year. I’d love to get close to $3000 but will I find another clean 627-3 with this particular barrel, not really a fan of the slab sided and I see them way more frequently. Hate selling guns that are tough to replace. But sheesh 3 grand. What will these be worth when my kids are older?
View attachment 135015
If you're willing to sell, I say do it while they're hot. Next year, who knows what the market will be, it's something that appeals to a very small demographic.
A number of years ago I bought two NIB prelock 627 Blood Work guns, it was at the time the demand was huge, before S&W reintroduced them. They only made 302 of them, I paid $1000 each. One of them was untouched, no turn line, with the original cardboard box, plastic wrap on the briefcase, the whole thing exactly as it left S&W. The other didn't have the card box and had been handled, had a bit of a turn line. I thought about keeping them, or maybe just keeping one but I had people badgering me about selling. I sold the untouched one for $3600, the one with the turn line for $1750, the demand was there then. Now the market is soft and I now I wouldn't be able to get near those prices. Even the Python market has slowed down. It sounds like now's the time to sell your if you're going to.

Reactions: CallmeIsh

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you're willing to sell, I say do it while they're hot. Next year, who knows what the market will be, it's something that appeals to a very small demographic.
A number of years ago I bought two NIB prelock 627 Blood Work guns, it was at the time the demand was huge, before S&W reintroduced them. They only made 302 of them, I paid $1000 each. One of them was untouched, no turn line, with the original cardboard box, plastic wrap on the briefcase, the whole thing exactly as it left S&W. The other didn't have the card box and had been handled, had a bit of a turn line. I thought about keeping them, or maybe just keeping one but I had people badgering me about selling. I sold the untouched one for $3600, the one with the turn line for $1750, the demand was there then. Now the market is soft and I now I wouldn't be able to get near those prices. Even the Python market has slowed down. It sounds like now's the time to sell your if you're going to.
Sold on GunsAmerica for $3000 even. I’m happy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.