Can someone identify the beavertail radius

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by 22ConversionUnut, Oct 25, 2018.

1. 22ConversionUnut

22ConversionUnut Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Hello there,
    I purchased this bare Colt Combat Elite XSE frame from an estate sale. The frame serial# dates to 2014. The first pic show's how I received it. Obviously the frame has been cut for a beavertail but I can't figure out what the radius is and I'm not smart enough to figure out how to measure the radius. The last pic shows a new Colt Competition beavertail installed on the frame. I'm speculating that the Colt beavertail off the Competition Model has a 250 degree radius, (but not sure) so the one cut for the frame is smaller? maybe 220? Can someone more knowledgeable than me identify the radius? IMG_1650.JPG IMG_1653.JPG IMG_1650.JPG IMG_1653.JPG IMG_1652.JPG

2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Should be a .250 if you want to fit a better one, John Harrisons is specifically designed for a Colt... To keep approx. the same profile. But, you will want to buy his fitting fixture as well. S&A make a .250 radius as well that will more than likely fit and be a lot tighter than this one. Without much if any blending. A Wilson combat drop in may fit decent for you as well. Or you could fit an EGW .245 radius.. I know a lot to choose from, but from my recent experience having just fit one. The John Harrison BGS is the way I ended up going, and I ordered one of each.

3. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    just down a similar road myself. If that's a .250 gs, perhaps one of the .220 gs will work for you. It certainly helped me out. One of the .245 gs now available isn't going to make that gap go away. Whatever you decide, be certain to get the proper fitting jig

Steve Owens likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted