CAR-Style Upper

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by WhoIsJohnGalt?, Jan 31, 2019.

1. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    I’ve had a “thing” for the whole CAR-15 / XM177 / “Shorty” AR family for a while now. I think it started when, as an impressionable almost-teen, I bought my first issue of “Soldier of Fortune” magazine, an issue that highlighted the exploits of MACV-SOG in Vietnam and surrounding countries. I knew what an AR-15 / M-16 was, but the magazine had images of these sawed-off-looking carbines that really caught my eye...thusly, a serious liking of this style gun was born.

I’m not an AR aficionado, owning only an M4-style Bushmaster Patrolman’s Carbine. I know there are some outfits like Troy that offer true “retro” XM177-style guns, and that one can assemble one themselves with some adroit shopping. Perhaps that’s what this recent acquisition will ultimately become...

I spotted an item for sale online as “Retro CAR-15 Upper” and had to investigate. 11.5-inch barrel, permanently-attached CAR-style flash hider, fixed carry handle. The price was right and I went for it. It needs a good cleaning and then it will be off to the range.

Shown below by itself and then mated to the Bushmaster lower. I suspect I’ll grab another lower at some point...the seller sold me a CAR-style buttstock along with the upper...hmmm...

:)

04050455-D087-46A2-A536-305BB245CB81.jpeg 5029080E-DABA-4F02-83CB-EDDDD2F5BC1E.jpeg

simonp, UBOATDOC, gaijin and 2 others like this.
  2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015

3. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    I had a original xm-177 upper from Vietnam. Required one of those offset bolts to attach to a colt car-15 lower. Original 2 position stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

UBOATDOC and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted