Career training for law enforcement

Discussion in 'Training' started by jcp907, Jan 9, 2012.

1. jcp907

jcp907 Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Hello everyone!

Our son has expressed interest in law enforcement and computers. He's currently a senior in high school and we adopted him when he was 14. We believe that he might want to seek training to fight cyber crimes.

Does anyone have any ideas with regard to what sort of schools or programs he should be looking into to pursue this career path? Ultimately, the dream job would likely be in the FBI.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Jay

2. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I think there are a lot of prerequisites to be in the FBI. My sister wanted to be in forensics, but learned that you had to be an actual police officer for a certain amount of time, and then there was no guarantee that she could get the job after that. If it were me, I would start by contacting the local FBI offices and let them know of your/his interest in working for them. Maybe they'll be nice enough to tell him what he'll need to do to start that career path.

3. jcp907

jcp907 Member

Sep 28, 2011
  4. jcp907

jcp907 Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Update:
    I spoke with my customer who has 17 years into the FBI and is a Supervisor now. He mentioned that the FBI prefers (requires?) a 4 year degree, and that is why many in law enforcement don't get called up as frequently as lawyers, pilots, and accountants do. He mentioned that Computer Science is the field they are recruiting the most heavily in for the foreseeable future. A 4 year to Master's plus 3 years of steady work, preferably in anti-virus, is sufficient. We will be taking a tour of the local office at some point in the near future, if my boy get's off his rear in gear and makes the call.

5. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    My college roommate is an FBI agent. We both went to Sam Houston State in TX which has one of the highest ranked Criminal Justice programs in the world. My old roommate worked pretty hard and the profs helped him intern with the secret service which really boosted his resume. Feel free to PM if you like. I would think a computer major with a double minor in math and CJ would do well. Florida State is also highly ranked for what he wants.

6. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    The FBI has agents and professional staff. Agents go through all of the physical training and rigors that go along with becoming a special agent. And professionals are your cyber, forensic, etc.... If he likes computers, I would suggest computer science or really ANY other degree then CJ. If he wants to be an agent who is also working with computers, my best advice, ROTC in college, 5 yrs officer, then apply to the FBI.....

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted