1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Hill people gear makes some nice concealed chest holsters I use for hiking and backpacking, I’ve considered using it on my dirt bike if I wanted to carry while riding. They call them kit bags on their website. I’ve CC all over the country in national parks with this item, very low profile. I even geeked out and put a medic patch on the front Velcro some days to make it less conspicuous but my wife said it was a little much lol.

· Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s less conspicuous than the scabbard I want for my carbine😉

*edit: I carry either as @SLG mentioned with a riding jacket securing it to my side or with a shoulder rig
Even AT the speed limit that'll never happen on me. Maybe around town but not on the interstates. I'm riding ~50 years, carrying since the late 80's and not one jacket I've owned stays put enough to keep the gun concealed, it would have to cover my butt :) Now a shoulder rig? That may be possible but the tank bag or AIWB works better.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Road surface

· You Don’t Know Me!
1,895 Posts
Not sure what you are trying to solve for here that typical conceal carry does not work? I am an avid rider and always carry OWB with a shirt or jacket over it with no issues what so ever.

The only thing you have to gauge for is unzipping any riding jacket when you get off the bike so as not to have to if the gun is needed.

· Registered
8,420 Posts
Well..... I'm also riding 50 plus years, not counting mini bikes, etc. And carried nearly as long on a mc. Admittedly, back in the day I carried a ruger securuty six 357 in a saddlebag. Way back then my only concern was when camped or stopped but times change. Last 20 years (?) I've carried strong side or in a purpose built riding coat. Shout out to Langlitz Leathers.
I cannot imagine riding while carrying awib, but freely admit I can't imagine carrying aiwb at any time. You guys that carry that way must never sit? Might just be me. But a gov't or cmdr length 1911 isn't gonna work for me awib, especially riding.

Also I think the drop leg option you show will , indeed, draw unwanted attention. Shoulder rig will work for you and let you remain concealed carry. But a dedicated riding coat, fit to you not off the rack, with a dedicated firearm inside jacket pocket closing with either velcro or zip up will keep your firearm snug, accessible, and best of all secure.

If I've got my jacket on while riding, it is zipped and not flapping in the wind. If I'm off bike and its unzipped firearm is secure and not visible. My riding position is not hunched over, that would never work for me and my 2XL size. And yes, I've ridden super bikes, my legs don't bend and fold like that.

You've been riding a good long while and we always said "more in common with any rider , regardless of model, than a non rider". You will figure out what works for you. Stay safe, keep rubber side down.

· Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Not sure what you are trying to solve for here that typical conceal carry does not work? I am an avid rider and always carry OWB with a shirt or jacket over it with no issues what so ever.

The only thing you have to gauge for is unzipping any riding jacket when you get off the bike so as not to have to if the gun is needed.
Why you're trying to solve a problem others may have with your method is something they must have considered (and discarded the idea) already?

At any rate as I already said, AIWB is working (I carry a 4" 1911 quite comfortably) or if needed my tank bag also works.

I didn't think a carry suggestion would create so much postulation on carry methods others may already have considered, over one which may not have been considered.

· Premium Member
623 Posts
I think the problem applies mostly to people riding sports and super bikes. The riding position is low, hugging and aggressive; space is very limited; leaning on the fuel tank makes AIWB impractical. And IWB and OWB are also a challenge with a racing leather jacket; same with a one piece leather suit and laying on the tank at speed.

Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive lighting Vehicle

I like the bag the OP found, but I wonder if it will cause drag or scratch on sharp low turns. I personally use a very small pouch over my leathers for a baby.380 SIG with the assumption that speed and agility are my primary defense tools ( I carry a.45 inside my hump-backpack in case I can’t avoid something really bad; on the road, building distance will buy time to access the backpack).

1 - 20 of 62 Posts