1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
chicken wings
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since some of us are divas and carry different guns on different days, my question is do you carry the same trigger type across different guns or different formats. For example, my rotations are 1911 SA, Kahr DA, and Glock DA.

As I progress in my training, my fear is that my discipline will change go haywire having trained for a certain pistol and not the other. Should I carry what I train and leave the rest as toys? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I think this is an individual preference issue, but on balance, I support the idea of focusing on one trigger type if you carry for duty or CCW. That does not mean I don't have fun with other action-types on occasion that differ from what I carry for pleasure shooting, but after a range session with something different, I try to finish up with a few rounds of what I carry just to reset my muscle memory. The hardest transition for me to make is going from a nice single-action to a stock Glock striker-fired trigger pull. I have found that when I swap back and forth on those a lot, my times drop and my accuracy suffers too. As always ... YMMV.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I disagree with more than one Safety/Trigger design.
Under life & death combat for your life, just KISS. :confused:

I only had to pull once in practice to see, that when
you have trained a lifetime to do A,B,C. You can & will
screw up the order. Pull, swipe, fire that's a good
routine to train by, & just maybe to live another day by.

Just my .02 :)

·
chicken wings
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Can you elaborate (I am horrible at reading speech cadence, ask my wife). Are you saying practice the same format and functions as your carry? I love the 1911s but think they should retire to my toys as my other two carries have no thumb safety or external safety.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I have sold off almost all my non 1911 pistols, I have a couple still posted and a couple of wheelguns that sit in the safe for now.

I am in agreement with @Mike A - keep things simple, consistent and go with what you know / what works for you. I dont put different length triggers or different weighted triggers in my guns and I dont mix and match what I shoot. Every once in a great while I will shoot someone's glock or one of my remaining sigs to make sure that I can, if forced to, make a shot with something else but what I train with, carry, sleep next to are all the same - 1911

·
Fictional Western Sage
2,790 Posts
The only thing that I "rotate" in my carry routine is ammo. Being absolutely consistent with what I carry (Baer TRS or Custom Carry) and their operation being exactly the same gives me confidence in my ability to act immediately. Since I shoot both pistols every week, I don't have to think even a nano second about anything except front sight press.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Personally, I rarely change my carry pistol. I carry a Glock 19 85% of the time, with an occasional swap to a G43 due to heat, or just convenience. For me, I do not like drastic changes to triggers; a SA to Glock to DA/SA is just not a good idea for me with how little I get to classes these past few years.

·
chicken wings
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally, I rarely change my carry pistol. I carry a Glock 19 85% of the time, with an occasional swap to a G43 due to heat, or just convenience. For me, I do not like drastic changes to triggers; a SA to Glock to DA/SA is just not a good idea for me with how little I get to classes these past few years.
How do you differentiate toys from carry?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Mike is 100 percent right. If you have to draw a gun to defend yourself, your mind will be totally focused on the threat. You will not be able to consciously think, like you might at the range, that you are carrying a 1911 and have to swipe off the safety. Instead, your body will act independently of your mind the way it was trained. If you have been shooting Glocks and pull a 1911, chances are you will not remember to swipe off the safety. Stick to one operating system.

·
chicken wings
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Makes me sad. I carry a Glock but collect 1911s.
Mike is 100 percent right. If you have to draw a gun to defend yourself, your mind will be totally focused on the threat. You will not be able to consciously think, like you might at the range, that you are carrying a 1911 and have to swipe off the safety. Instead, your body will act independently of your mind the way it was trained. If you have been shooting Glocks and pull a 1911, chances are you will not remember to swipe off the safety. Stick to one operating system.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I can do it but I rarely do. 99% of the time I carry a 1911. When I shoot my g19 it usually takes a couple mags to get reacquainted with the different grip angle. The trigger matters too but less IMO. For me at least. Under a timer it shows up more. The glock does have an apex trigger in it. In a defensive situation I wouldn't be able to pause and run a couple mags to get reacquainted. Cold shots are what matter, not the ones after you're warmed up. I do swipe an imaginary thumb safety off when I shoot other auto's. Wheel guns are a different story. I'm usually fine with em. I'm limited to 4 guns on my permit so there's none on it so they don't get shot but at the range. Rarely.

·
Banned
821 Posts
I simply use the same motion for all handguns. I automatically sweep off the safety with the way I draw/grip my 1911, and I use the same motion for every handgun, whether it has a safety or not. That way, I know if the gun I'm grabbing has a thumb safety, my motion will take it off, and if not, then no problem, I don't really have to change my draw or grip.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think it would be fairly easy to transition between a glock/ striker trigger to a da/sa system. With the glock, you have a longish spongy trigger, it breaks, and then you release it to its reset before firing again. Compare that to a long d/a pull followed by releasing the trigger to reset (aka, single action). The big difference would be remembering to decock the hammer before holstering.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
From one Frank to another, I respectfully disagree. Awesome name and avatar by the way. Maybe I'm just too much of a new shooter but I definitely notice a difference and it effects my shot placement and timing. Unless you have/do shoot 10k(ish) rounds per year from multiple platforms, the muscle memory isn't appropriately developed/gets lost. Even within the same platform if there are differences in function I can get thrown off. Case in point, just picked up an old colt commander. Low round count, if any, nice gun. Just dry firing it I could tell I was off. I've been shooting the See Bob almost exclusively, with some WMB and a LouB Springer mixed in. I definitely got used to flat, med length, well fit, triggers. Shooting is not like riding a bike. It is a perishable skill. YMMV.

·
I wanna go fast!
183 Posts
I don’t think we disagree we are are actually pretty close. I understand where you are coming from but we are talking about two different scenarios. A defensive shooting scenario is different than target shooting. If you consider the distance, speed of engagement, and violence of the encounter you will not notice the difference between a 1911 trigger and a Glock trigger.

When we do Simunitions scenarios at work I take any gun that’s available. It’s not because I don’t care about winning the gun just doesn’t matter in that type of situation.

If you are shooting at a bullseye you will notice a difference after your first shot with a new gun. Your first shot will be good because your brain won’t know about the different trigger pull until after the first shot breaks.

Here is an extremely simple explanation. You line up the sights and hold them still while you pull the trigger. That’s all you need to do to hit a target with a handgun.

·
Premium Member
17,837 Posts
Since some of us are divas and carry different guns on different days, my question is do you carry the same trigger type across different guns or different formats. For example, my rotations are 1911 SA, Kahr DA, and Glock DA.

As I progress in my training, my fear is that my discipline will change go haywire having trained for a certain pistol and not the other. Should I carry what I train and leave the rest as toys? Thoughts?
Train with both. Enough work so that when you need to use it, your mind should index to the weapon you're using.

I am mainly 1911, however I still have two revolvers I use once in awhile. I do shoot both, since my first carry was a model 36 riding SAR.

·
Banned
2,687 Posts
1911/Striker gun/revolver- all are reasonably seamless transition, one to the next.
This I suppose due to decades of trigger time with all (exception being striker guns, but still no major hurdle).
I can and do carry all, just happen to shoot the 1911 format quicker than others-with similar levels of accuracy.

Frequently at matches, or doing drills, we will set up a stage where you start with or transition to another, completely different firearm; pump shotgun, AK, revolver, striker gun, whatever.
The initial reaction by newer shooters is "oh SHXT".
Invariably they are glad to have done it after the fact.

"A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms"

Never know when you may need it.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I carry the same trigger-type: 1911, w/ an occasional BHP .40.

I do not carry Jello Molds or anything w/ an (un)Safe Trigger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.