Carrying a Blued 1911

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Kevin Rohrer, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    It has been decades since I carried a blued handgun, and have never carried a blued 1911. For those who carry one on a regular basis, what do you do to keep it from rusting? Am not concerned about the finish rubbing-off, but am concerned about keeping the rust off.

simonp and retrieverman like this.
  2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I
    I BF3596C3-FA1E-40D8-A413-DEFB2FBE4B0C.jpeg carried one for five years, in uniform, without issues. I wiped it down a couple times a month, and field stripped and lubed it after exposure to rain. Here she is

UBOATDOC, 1L26 and henchman like this.

3. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Weren't you issued a 1911 as a US Army MP?

UBOATDOC and Dub like this.
  4. Kevin Rohrer

Jul 6, 2014
    Yep, but it was Parkerized. We never worried about rust.

Raylan Givens likes this.
  5. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Nothing to worry about if you maintain it .

6. Kevin Rohrer

Jul 6, 2014
    I asking if others keep the exterior oiled or don't bother or use something else. I am not interested in wearing an oiled gun that needs daily maintenance.

7. studenygreg

studenygreg Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2016
    I've been carrying a blued Colt combat commander for the past couple of months in a galco combatmaster. There is some wear on it but no rust. I always wipe my ccw down every week, and sometimes daily in the summer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dub and mikegalway like this.
  8. Coyote6974

Coyote6974 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2015
    I carried a blue steel Gunsite GSP built on a Springfield for about ten years. I carried it in an elk lined Safariland duty holster. Gunsite refinished it twice in the time I had it. Never a spot of rust on the gun anywhere. I would lube and wipe the gun down with an oily rag once a month or so.

9. timw1

timw1 I had lunch with Cheeto! Supporting Addict

Sep 2, 2016
    I was an MP and issued one, and if it was parkerized it completely wore off. I left active duty January 1988, soon after they went to the 92F. The 1911's we were issued had a nice brown patina :). I carry a blued 1911 sometimes and wipe it down with a silicone cloth before putting it in the safe, no rust yet. My buddy coats his blued 1911's with Renaissance Wax, and has good luck.

10. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    I use a silicone-treated cloth (I keep a supply of these from Top Gun Supply on-hand) and wipe down my carry gun (including a blued 1911) with it once the gun comes out of the holster for the evening.

During the more humid months in my area, I may give it an additional wipe-down either at the start of the day or even at some point during the day, just a 10-15 second thing whenever it’s done.

11. Jim 1855

Jim 1855 Member

Mar 1, 2020
    Clenzoil on a rag that I keep in a sealed bag. I just add a few drips to the rag when it becomes a little dry. Not oily but works much like one of the silicone rags, just better. Probably wipe it down once or twice a week.

I've been carrying a blue steel gun through all seasons in a leather/Kydex holster. Years ago I didn't wipe another blue steel gun down as much and carried in an all leather holster, had some problems.

Seems to work well for me.

Jim

12. NPV

NPV Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2017
    All I do is a heavy coat of Renaissance wax under the grip panels. The friction from my holster keeps the rust off the rest of it.

DCA1CEC9-7689-4A79-BB88-F0C1C4E1FD95.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    theJanitor, crc, RMF308 and 7 others like this.
  13. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Blued guns in leather holsters with "old school" suede lining like Safariland and Bianchi used.
    Or just real good Herman oak tanned leather.

Wipe it off, empty it and open the action for an hour or so when you et home. That way any sweat / moisture can dry out of it.

It's worked for me for 40 plus years of carrying blued guns. Actually do the same with my SS guns also. I find the hammer needs the most attention as it seems to want to develop rust more so than anything else. Light coat of whatever you use to lube the gun on the hammer at night.

Wife it off in the a.m. when I re holster it. Obviously I've re loaded the gun before bed etc. Yes for all the tech whinnies I double check that there is one in chamber and a full mag!!!!! LOL

It seems to work for me hope it helps with yours.

14. gwt21974

gwt21974 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I carried a blued Baer UTC for some time. I live in a location that is really hot and humid during summer. My solution was to monitor the gun for rust. I rarely oiled it. It never rusted, but I was cautious about handling it with sweaty hands.

15. Stk218

Stk218 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2018
    That Renaissance Wax is BMB!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

16. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    Who doesn't have time to do a quick wipe down of their EDC at the end of the day.

Takes every bit of 30 seconds.

17. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    Nine years now and rust free, though the bluing is worn just a bit:

5B67FBBF-7546-45D9-8B12-83B9674DF322.jpeg

Attached Files:

1911 crazed, Dub, azpoolguy and 8 others like this.
  18. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    Something about faded blue on a Baer makes it look more right to me. It gives it the right attitude and that it is being used as intended.

simonp, Rick McC., Dub and 2 others like this.
  19. Mtek

Mtek Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2019
    Blue guncrafter commander is my edc, I live in WA and humidity is always high. Wipe down with a Rem cloth every night. No problems.

20. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    I carry a blued LW Officer. No problems with occasional wipe down with silicone cloth. But live in Arizona, zero humidity.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted