1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been decades since I carried a blued handgun, and have never carried a blued 1911. For those who carry one on a regular basis, what do you do to keep it from rusting? Am not concerned about the finish rubbing-off, but am concerned about keeping the rust off.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I
It has been decades since I carried a blued handgun, and have never carried a blued 1911. For those who carry one on a regular basis, what do you do to keep it from rusting? Am not concerned about the finish rubbing-off, but am concerned about keeping the rust off.
I
BF3596C3-FA1E-40D8-A413-DEFB2FBE4B0C.jpeg
carried one for five years, in uniform, without issues. I wiped it down a couple times a month, and field stripped and lubed it after exposure to rain. Here she is

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reactions: Raylan Givens

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing to worry about if you maintain it .
I asking if others keep the exterior oiled or don't bother or use something else. I am not interested in wearing an oiled gun that needs daily maintenance.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've been carrying a blued Colt combat commander for the past couple of months in a galco combatmaster. There is some wear on it but no rust. I always wipe my ccw down every week, and sometimes daily in the summer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
I carried a blue steel Gunsite GSP built on a Springfield for about ten years. I carried it in an elk lined Safariland duty holster. Gunsite refinished it twice in the time I had it. Never a spot of rust on the gun anywhere. I would lube and wipe the gun down with an oily rag once a month or so.

·
I had lunch with Cheeto!
107 Posts
Weren't you issued a 1911 as a US Army MP?
I was an MP and issued one, and if it was parkerized it completely wore off. I left active duty January 1988, soon after they went to the 92F. The 1911's we were issued had a nice brown patina :). I carry a blued 1911 sometimes and wipe it down with a silicone cloth before putting it in the safe, no rust yet. My buddy coats his blued 1911's with Renaissance Wax, and has good luck.

·
We Are!
2,675 Posts
I use a silicone-treated cloth (I keep a supply of these from Top Gun Supply on-hand) and wipe down my carry gun (including a blued 1911) with it once the gun comes out of the holster for the evening.

During the more humid months in my area, I may give it an additional wipe-down either at the start of the day or even at some point during the day, just a 10-15 second thing whenever it’s done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Clenzoil on a rag that I keep in a sealed bag. I just add a few drips to the rag when it becomes a little dry. Not oily but works much like one of the silicone rags, just better. Probably wipe it down once or twice a week.

I've been carrying a blue steel gun through all seasons in a leather/Kydex holster. Years ago I didn't wipe another blue steel gun down as much and carried in an all leather holster, had some problems.

Seems to work well for me.

Jim

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Blued guns in leather holsters with "old school" suede lining like Safariland and Bianchi used.
Or just real good Herman oak tanned leather.

Wipe it off, empty it and open the action for an hour or so when you et home. That way any sweat / moisture can dry out of it.

It's worked for me for 40 plus years of carrying blued guns. Actually do the same with my SS guns also. I find the hammer needs the most attention as it seems to want to develop rust more so than anything else. Light coat of whatever you use to lube the gun on the hammer at night.

Wife it off in the a.m. when I re holster it. Obviously I've re loaded the gun before bed etc. Yes for all the tech whinnies I double check that there is one in chamber and a full mag!!!!! LOL

It seems to work for me hope it helps with yours.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I carried a blued Baer UTC for some time. I live in a location that is really hot and humid during summer. My solution was to monitor the gun for rust. I rarely oiled it. It never rusted, but I was cautious about handling it with sweaty hands.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was an MP and issued one, and if it was parkerized it completely wore off. I left active duty January 1988, soon after they went to the 92F. The 1911's we were issued had a nice brown patina :). I carry a blued 1911 sometimes and wipe it down with a silicone cloth before putting it in the safe, no rust yet. My buddy coats his blued 1911's with Renaissance Wax, and has good luck.
That Renaissance Wax is BMB!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
2,352 Posts
I carry a blued LW Officer. No problems with occasional wipe down with silicone cloth. But live in Arizona, zero humidity.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts