1. Doclab88

Doclab88 Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I have a question about case gauges for reloading pistol ammo. I have a friend who has a machine shop and I was thinking of having him machine a block for the ammo I reload for pistols. I have reload manuals that give ammo dimensions but they don’t give the tolerance allowed for width. Now where do I find that info or do any of you guys have that info for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014

3. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Brownells and Midway sell this made by Lyman.
    Multi caliber for around $33.
    Not sure what your machine shop would charge but this is most likely less than 1 hr labor for machine shop billing.
    EDC729DC-24EA-4833-B67B-1B2E3B858C83.jpeg

4. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
  5. sbacpo

sbacpo Member

Jul 2, 2018
    IMO case gauges are a waste of money. Use the barrel of the gun you're going to shoot the round out of. Plink test.

If it doesn't fit in the barrel correctly, what difference does it make if it fits in a gauge?

41 Charlie likes this.
  6. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Oh I don't know, cause some of us own dozens and dozens upon dozens of guns.. If one chamber is fubared I damn sure not tayloring all my ammo just for it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Dub, Fred_G, gun_fan111 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Gary Wells

Gary Wells Active Member

Sep 26, 2011
    In my opinion case gages are a very valuable asset to any re-loading set-up. A re-loader should be able to get an of what's going on pretty early in the re-loading cycle. I have a Dillon case gage and I use it as a sort of pre-check gage when loading the first few rounds just to make sure that I am on the right track.

Dub, BigJimP and john_anch_ak like this.
  8. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    I have a Hundo for 9mm and for 45. Since I batch load my rounds, it's not uncommon for me to have 1,500+ in a night off the 1050. I'm not going to take the time to use a barrel for each round. These work magic on time savings. Plus, they are designed for the plastic 100 round holders to fit right over the top of the Hundo. You turn it upside down and the rounds just fall into the plastic holder slots. Love it.
    I also have a 50 count one for 5.56. Buddy owns a brass prep shop in Michigan and he makes them for 5.56 and might even for .308.

Dub likes this.
  9. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Soooo, you only shoot out of one barrel? Do you swap that barrel between different guns somehow? If not, kinda takes away the reason for slugging.

Dub likes this.
  10. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I’m not a believer of using the barrel of a 1911 as a case gauge. This may work for a quick check of run of the mill store bought ammo.
    Most 1911 barrels are somewhat of an unsupported partial chamber and could give a false sense of accuracy for reloaded +P or high CUP brass as is the case for 9x23 Winchester,10mm or 45 super acp if not sized correctly in a full length die.
    For this is the reasoning behind the proper use and checking your brass in an accurate full size case gauge of which are manufactured to true SAAMI specifications.

11. sbacpo

sbacpo Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Who checks store bought ammo? Who checks every round? The monumentally anal retentive I guess. Check the dedicated handloaders forums. Get their opinion on case gauges.

12. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Ok, Sport

Every single reloader I know uses case gauges and other measuring devices

I use case gauges and other measuring devices

Every reloading manual I own talks about using case gauges and other measuring devices

Every precision reloader I know uses case gauges and even more measuring devices

Every reloading forum I have been on talks about the benefits of case gauges and other measuring devices

Dub and TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot like this.
  13. Gary Wells

Gary Wells Active Member

Sep 26, 2011
    I monumentally & anal retentively caliper, case gage check, wipe down thoroughly, and visual every round that comes off of my 550B. And the really bad news is...............I actually enjoy it. And please don't Bogart the dedicated hand-loader forums. I'm always looking for good reading fodder.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Dub, TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot and Capthobo like this.
  14. Gary Wells

Gary Wells Active Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Oops, my bad. Killing off this thread was definitely not my intent. Where did all the crickets come from?
    Does anybody know of any "dedicated re-loader forums"? There's generally not enough membership/interest to keep them going for very long.

15. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    You didn't kill anything. I have never owned case gauges but rather use my barrel(s) for a gauge.

Case gauges are worth consideration to me if for no better reason than the case gauges would eliminate me stripping my guns down to use them for a gauge.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot and sbacpo like this.
  16. Gary Wells

Gary Wells Active Member

Sep 26, 2011
    I've got 5 different .45 autos: A WC Classic, a early production LB PII, a SA TGO1, a EB ET, & a Jim Hoag long slide. I'm not too keen on removing the barrel of any of them to chamber check, as at least 2 of those noted guns are different enough in the COAL allowances. If I happen to have a barrel out of a gun I do use it as an assistance to using the other checks.

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I did not know those existed, I have only used the single ones. Good to know.

I am not that conscientious with my reloading, but getting a batch of 9mm's that was just a touch out of spec made me and my friend much more familiar with the case gauge. And as stated, a case gauge is much more handy than field stripping your gun(s).

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  18. sbacpo

sbacpo Member

Jul 2, 2018
    OP - as you can see there's some disagreement about whether a case gauge is needed for pistol reloading. Those who use them are always particularly shrill in their defense of having spent money on them.

I stand by my opinion that you already own every case gauge you'll ever "need". If a round doesn't fit in the barrel it's getting shot through what difference does it make if it fits in a case gauge? If I'm reloading for plinking, I use the tightest barrel I own for a gauge. If I want more accurate ammo, I build rounds for a specific barrel just like every precision shooter out there. YMMV.

19. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I have no problem admitting that I case gauge every round that I make. Anal retentive, perhaps. I’ve also been a single stage reloader since the 70’s (10k + a year) so I touch each round after crimping and dropping them into a case gauge before going into the ammo box is not much more work. If I’m working up a new load I use my barrels and if it plunks and twists in my barrels it will drop into my case gauges. My LE Wilson gauge is a little tighter than my EGW 7 hole and I know how proud the rim can be and still function perfectly in my guns.

There is no right or wrong way as far as using a case gauge or your barrel when producing ammo. We each have to find what is right for us, I have.

Dub, Fred_G and sbacpo like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted