1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would there be any advantage in actual use to a Caspian race ready frame (integral magwell) vs a normal frame with an add-on magwell? Is there a functional difference or is it just cosmetic?

·
Banned
824 Posts
Might be a little more durable, but durability isn't an issue with quality add on magwells so that doesn't really matter. I'm not a fan of the Caspian as I don't compete and it's a bit bigger than I care for.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The main advantage to the add on, is the availability of Different wells.
With the race ready you have what you have.
Standard frame you can choose lots of options

Reactions: Paul S

·
I wanna go fast!
183 Posts
I have a gun with the race ready frame and it works great for carry and competition. The Caspian frame isn't larger than one with a magwell but the opening is larger and smoother than a Smith and Alexander type. If you are going to do competition I would suggest the Dawson Ice.

I use my 45 for IDPA CDP with the Race Ready frame and have shot the Western States Single Stack match with it. I had a Race Ready frame on my 40 and milled the bottom of it to put a Tech Well on. Now I run Dawson Ice magwells on my Single Stacks but am currently building a lightweight Race Ready framed commander for a carry gun.

So for competition the Dawson Ice, for carry the Race Ready.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Don't know much about their race ready frame but I do give a big thumbs up
on their Classic 1911 frame. A big fan of Caspian after I fit one to my 1918, 1911.

Walt was right on about this 1911 classic frame. Other than the Property Of US Army not there it looks just like a real 1911 frame
DSCF0768.JPG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts