Caspian vs. Fusion Firearms vs. Others ETC.

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by SolidCustom, Dec 7, 2018.

1. SolidCustom

SolidCustom New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    I am starting my first 1911 build soon, and I had a question which I know is going to have different responses. I am wondering which manufacturer to buy my frame and slide from, and there are pros and cons to both. I want a full size frame, preferably with a checkered front strap that isn't 80% and comes in the white with no finish. I have heard Caspian is higher quality, but Caspian does not offer a full size frame with the checkered front strap. Fusion Firearms has a full size frame with checkered front strap, but I have heard their parts require a lot more handfitting. I am not opposed to doing the work to build my gun, I just want to know amongst all the various manufacturers what would be the best choice for me? Are Les Baer match frames and slides worth the extra money? What about 1911 Builders, or STI? I am open to any recommendations. Thank you.

2. ACP

ACP Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2018
    Caspian will do a variety of front strap treatments

https://www.caspianarms.com/receiver/modern-receiver-carbon

You have to select "Change Options" to play with the different configurations.

Walt with Caspian is great to deal with on the phone as well and can send a proposal of work over to you after talking over your needs on the phone.

azpoolguy and SolidCustom like this.

3. Heretical45

Heretical45 Lurker 4 life

Nov 3, 2011
    Caspian does offer it as an option. Send them an email to confirm but in their drop down selection it shows 20, 25, and 30lpi.

SolidCustom likes this.
  4. Kyle Burt

Kyle Burt Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2015
    ZoidMeister, WHEELS and WWB like this.
  5. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Check out a JEM frame it’s a better frame then both mentioned IMO.

6. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Yep climbing aboard the Jem frame train here's one.....
    IMG_20180622_104301875_HDR.jpg

ronin11, JD31, UBOATDOC and 8 others like this.
  7. awp101

awp101 Veni, vidi sum oblitus

Jan 12, 2017
  8. SolidCustom

SolidCustom New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Interesting, I am looking into these JEM components now. They seem to offer a lot of options. Look good too, and the quality is good? This might be who I use.

WHEELS likes this.
  9. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Imo the they the best frames available..

UBOATDOC and SolidCustom like this.
  10. SolidCustom

SolidCustom New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    I see they offer a Stainless frame, but I don't see a stainless slide. Do you think if I call them they might offer a stainless slide? I want to build Stainless just for the increased corrosion resistance.

11. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I would only consider Caspian over JEM for a price savings for your first build. The JEM is better product. But I also like Colts and Springfields to build on.

For some inspiration. My Caspian/ Fosters build waiting for me to get my new garage space set up. 61EB73DC-850E-4233-8290-3039647D51D2.jpeg

12. SolidCustom

SolidCustom New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Is that a Jem slide along with that frame?

13. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Whatever you do, don’t pick the Baer frame. You’ll poop your pants when you install your mainspring housing and see that the holes don’t line up or that it takes all day to fit the trigger because you have to remove like a 1/8 of an inch to get it to fit. :)

Or when you go to put your slide stop in and it won’t budge on a .200 slide stop.

SolidCustom likes this.
  14. SolidCustom

SolidCustom New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Glad you said that, because I was looking at Baer. At this point I am likely going to go with Caspian or Jem. I am trying to decide between Stainless and Carbon steel now, because it doesn't look like Jem offers a Stainless slide...

15. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    I would give them a call, or write to Elliott. JEM makes frames and slides for a LOT of custom gun smiths and manufacturers. They do accomodate "off menu" requests as well. It can't hurt asking. Elliott's email address is: [email protected]

Here is another JEM frame build BTW. Slide by Colt . . . . .

PCZoid-grips-final - 01.JPG

PCZoid-grips-final - 05.JPG

PCZoid-grips-final - 09.JPG

ronin11, UBOATDOC, FWoo45 and 5 others like this.
  16. SolidCustom

SolidCustom New Member

Dec 4, 2018

Very nice! I guess that is the skip line checkering? Yeah, I will call. They may be able to do the slide serrations I want done there as well. That would save me sending the slide off somewhere else.

ZoidMeister and WHEELS like this.
  17. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    No the slide is from guncrafter industries but Jem makes slides like what you want.
    A lot of stuff they do doesn't make it on the website.
    Good luck.

ZoidMeister and SolidCustom like this.
  18. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    You don’t have to go with Jem for a slide. I use Jem frames and Caspian slides.

Caspian slides are very good.

mikemac, FWoo45, monadh and 3 others like this.
  19. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014

@SolidCustom ^^ This guy would know. ^^

mikemac, FWoo45, WHEELS and 3 others like this.
  20. SolidCustom

SolidCustom New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    It looks
    It looks like the caspian slides are nice quality, but is there a comparable option that does not have rollmarks?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted