cast vs forged?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by tahunua001, Nov 8, 2011.

1. tahunua001

tahunua001 perty mouthed redneck

Nov 7, 2011
    hello all.
    so new guy is confused. what is the difference in forging and casting and why are some 1911 owners so vehemently against any 1911 with a cast frame?

2. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    For most people, no practical difference. And by most I mean 99.9%.

3. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Really? Are you just trolling? I thought the debate was as long winded as guide rod choices?

4. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    IIRC I believe the original frame was cast without heat treat. They are still out there. I think it's a non issue unless someone forgets a step in preperation. However that could happen with either forged or cast. Caspian frames are cast and people build race guns that shoot 100's of thousands of rounds. I believe it is a non issue.

5. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Actually, IIRC, the originals were forged w/o heat treating.

6. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    The structure of the metal in forgings is theoretically stronger due to the orientation of the grain structure in the metal. Castings are more cost efficient due to less tooling/machining needed for the final outcome, and Ruger has perfected investment casting for high volume manufacturing.

Nothing really indicate that castings are not strong enough for the job. Both Ruger and Caspian has a proven track record for making top quality firearms. Think about it! If revolver frames can handle 44 Mag. 454 Casull etc. that should be speaking for itself.

I have a caspian 1911, that's been used for over 10 yrs. for IPSC/IDPA without any damage or hair cracks in the frame. And 100's of fellow shooters have had the same experience.

For the amount of beating firearms has to hold up to, I personally think it's more important how the gun is build, and what loads and springs are used. And of course a shok-buf helps too.

However given a choice, I would choose a forged frame.

7. tahunua001

tahunua001 perty mouthed redneck

Nov 7, 2011
    haha this forum must be a closer knit group than I thought since everyone seems to know that I'm after the SR1911 :D

8. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Well good sir I could pontificate for days about guide rods!

9. JD396

JD396 New Member

Nov 6, 2011
    It is..... because that debate is just as retarded. My only issue with cast is that I don't want to see it on a $1500 1911.

10. Legion489

Legion489 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Well the real issue is quality, not cast/forged. Some cast frames are pretty low quality, but this is not because they are cast, they are just low quality. Browning went to cast frames (used to be forged) on the Hi-Power for two reasons. The most important was it was cheaper, the second, they could claim the frame was just as good and it was eaier to beef a cast frame up to handle .40 S&W cartridges rather then redesign a forging. Most forgings are pretty high quality, after all, why go to that trouble with low quality steel and try to cut every corner heat treating? If you want to do that, casting is both far easier and cheaper to begin with.

Quality forgings are stronger than quality cast when both are done right, but like I said, quality steel, heat treating, etc. has a lot more to do with it than cast/forged. If the item is strong enough to do what it needs to do, how much stronger does it need to be? The reason some companies don't recommend cast (Armscor, etc) frames for their hotrodded cartridges has more to do with steel and heat treating than if it is cast or not, but saying "cast" is easier and doesn't offend most people.

Hope this helps.

11. soylent green

soylent green people eater

Nov 17, 2011
    Someone needs to post some pics or a properly made, worn out cast frame. Anyone? Anyone?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted