Caveat Emptor

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot, Jan 14, 2019.

1. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    I went into a home town LGS today. It's one of the larger stores in town, in a popular retail area. Always quite busy. It's right next door to FedEx in a shopping center so I stopped in when I had to ship a package.

I was kinda looking for a cheap 1911 - something to work on more than shoot. I saw a Remington R1 in the gun case for $499. I asked the clerk to let me see it. He handed me the gun.

I dropped the magazine and cleared it. Looked it over. Checked the slide, checked the trigger. Pushed the spring cap in, turned the bushing, took the spring cap off. Pulled the slide stop out. Turned the gun upside down and slid the frame out of the slide.

"PLINK! Plink, plink" I heard something hit the floor.

I thought WTF?! I looked around on the floor and saw a small piece of dirty, oily metal. I bent down and picked it up. It was an ejector. I looked at the frame. Sure enough, there was no ejector. I put the ejector legs in the holes on the frame. They wallowed around.

I looked at the counter guy. "Hey, is this ejector supposed to be this loose?" I asked. "Look at this..."

"Yeah, I think they come that way," he said.

"No, no I don't think so," I said. "See this little hole right here? See this little recess on the ejector leg? There's supposed to be a pin that goes through this hole and fills this recess to lock this in place."

"Oh," he says. "Let me go ask the gunsmith."

He's gone 6-7 minutes. When he comes back he says, "Thanks for catching that. The gunsmith is looking for a pin that small. If he can find one are you interested in the gun?"

"Uh, no. No thanks. Maybe another time."
    =====

About 5-6 weeks ago I stopped into another LGS. This time a newer store. I only learned about it that day. It's on the outskirts of town. I was the only customer in there when I visited. There were two rather large good ole' boys behind the counter.

I look through the gun counters. I spy a Dan Wesson A2 - uncommon for this area. It has a price tag of $900. "Can I see that?" I ask.

Good ole' boy #1 gets the A2 out of the case and hands it to me. I take the gun in my hand to clear it. Immediately, I see the bottom of the MSH is hanging about 3/8" out of the grip frame, and there is an equal gap at the top. I drop the magazine. I pull the slide back and clear it. The inside of the chamber is filthy. I look at the MSH. It's not the arched MSH the gun ships with. And it doesn't fit. It is obviously not pinned.

"Hey," I said. "Is this gun supposed to shoot?"

"Well, yeah." says GOB #1.

"It's used right? How many rounds do you think it has through it?"

"I dunno."

"Well, what happened to the mainspring housing? This isn't the right one, it doesn't fit and you can't shoot the gun without one of these."

"Oh, hmm. I dunno. I can get the owner to take a look at it if you're interested."

"No thanks. That's ok. I was just curious."
    =====

Good grief!

Whenever I go into an LGS around here, which is not often, it is apparent that many (perhaps most) of the shoppers are relative newbies and/or people with very little knowledge about what they are buying. One would hope that the firearms retailers would exercise at least some level of caution and professionalism regarding the firearms in their sale cases.

This is clearly not the case. I'm not asking for much here, just don't sell people things that don't work or are obviously broken. The fact that customers have to walk into the store to point out obviously defective firearms is just a staggering business practice, IMO.

Maybe it is common, but I've never seen anything like it in other industries.

1911 dawg, 41 Charlie, RN47 and 7 others like this.
  2. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    All my stops they've always been gun folks.
    Like they clear before they hand it over,stuff like that.
    Hate to think it's a fluke. :)

3. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    There are three other local LGS that I've been to. One is right down the road from my shop, and I've purchased two, maybe three, guns there. It does usually have some gun people in there, but mostly hunters talking about deer and hog rifles. The store personnel are more knowledgeable but, again, mostly about long guns. The handgun buyers in there often seem to be fairly new. I don't think these guys would sell junk.

The second store is downtown, and I think it is the oldest firearms retailer in town. It also has some knowledgeable sales people but, again, mostly long guns. I don't think I've ever seen a handgun buyer in there although I'm sure that's just coincidence.

The third store is over by my house. It is small, but I usually see one or two LEO-types in there. The sales staff is pretty much tacticool and they mostly sell Glocks. And 9mm. If you aren't buying a 9mm Glock you aren't cool. Unless you're buying a Kimber 9mm. Kimber 9mms are cool. And Blackhawk CQC holsters, with that "shoot yourself in the leg" retention button right over the trigger guard. Those are cool.

4. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Wow,that sucks dude!
    Keep hoping for the best,and maybe just skip the Mimber idiots altogether.

5. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I'd like to know what sort of gun shops you frequent that:

1) keeps the magazine in/around the gun

and

2) doesn't clear the gun and hand it to you with the slide open

:shifty:

6. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    Ha! Hope is not a strategy ;-)

The best folks I've come across around here, and I've come across quite a few, are the tactical shooters - the IDPA/Steel Challenge people - and the folks running the gun ranges. I'm guessing tho that they don't spend a lot of time at the LGS.

The one store attached to a gun range is pretty good, too. I guess because there is a good probability that someone who buys a gun is going to step over to the range to shoot it so it better work.

wcanterbury and xerts1191 like this.
  7. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    I'm guessing the kind that hasn't been sued out of existence yet...

wcanterbury, xerts1191 and Kip like this.
  8. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    I bought a Smith and Wesson Model 19-3 Combat Magnum from a pawn shop three hours away on the recommendation of a "friend" who lived close by.

When I got it it wouldn't run. Beautiful revolver, but I took it apart and finally figured out that sometime between 1974 and 2018 someone shaved about three coils off the rebound spring. I replaced the springs, and it ran great after that, but I hate freakin' surprises, and mysteries.

9. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    I was in a LGS today. If you can call an hour and a half away local. I was drooling as I was looking into this stand up nighthawk custom case, with 20 some variety of Hawks.

The guy comes up and says here let me unlock that for you.
    Look at anyone you like.
    They all had the mags in them ! (for some reason I feel I should call it a clip here)
    The next thing you know I've got a nighthawk in each hand and feeling like Clyde barrow.

I was a bandana away from a bad idea. So I decided to hand them back and check the used cabinet.

10. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Buy from the best, and screw the rest. I went through the same scenarios with some of these goobers that decided it was time in their life to open a gun store. Yeah right! Stick with the guys that have been in business for a long time and have a good reputation. Feel sorry for the unsuspecting souls that will eventually buy those pistols.

wcanterbury likes this.
  11. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    So many amazing revolvers have been messed up by bubbasmiths. Shameful. I’ve ran into a few butchered s&w revolvers in my days. Luckily they can usually be saved.

wcanterbury and fieldgrade like this.
  12. C_Hallbert

C_Hallbert Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2017
    I am aware of no LGS (anywhere) where such extraordinary items are displayed or available for purchase. Perhaps your recalled something that came to you in a dream, or which you experienced in a rare vision reserved for those few Saints granted the privilege of a glimpse into the next world; but, most likely you are a skilled story teller who is capable of capturing the imagination of those whom read your awe inspiring words.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHEELS and wcanterbury like this.
  13. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    We are blessed in Arizona with some great LGS, a few minutes from my place and I have NH, Brown's and WC's took look it and plenty of Dan Wesson's too. But we are gun friendly and free in AZ and oh, want something most states would lose their mind over, no problem.

20170721_113656.jpg

14. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    We actually have an LGS - the good one connected to the gun range - that has one of those special Nighthawk Custom cases with a good dozen, maybe more, of their firearms. Very nice stuff.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

15. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    LMAO!

Ok, coffee snorted through nose and on the shirt. You sir need to warn others this early in the morning!

xerts1191 and WHEELS like this.
  16. Autonomous

Autonomous Turgid member

Jan 14, 2019
    Gun store employees. Some good and some... not so much. Had to interrupt one that was giving my wife bad information on how to operate a cylinder release. Pissed both of them off but I won't have the wrong technique imprinted in her head.

rmac, xerts1191 and limbkiller like this.
  17. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    We have a mix of gunshops around where I live in Minnesota. Some really good, some really bad and a bunch in between. Well, only 2 that are really good. It is frustrating to go into a LGS with questions and find I know more about their products than the employees do. When I buy a new car I usually know more about the car than the sales person. I guess being professional and doing your job well does not occur much in retail.
    Jeff

OneEyedTanker likes this.
  18. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I've had two experiences in the last couple of weeks that relate to this post.
    1) Walking thru a big box store that sells firearms and notice a customer and counter guy struggling to field strip a G43. I watch for a while and finally I have to tell them you have to pull the trigger to release the slide.
    2) I dropped off some guns to an auction house about an hour away a few weeks back. I sat down with a nice guy who was probably a little older than I am to write it up. They basically go gun by gun and write down what they are and if there's anything special about them. I was sitting directly across from him when he cleared the first gun pointed directly at me with his finger inside the trigger guard. They were my guns and I know that they were unloaded but it still made me uncomfortable and broke a cardinal rule. These are gun people and the store moves a lot of used guns. I was really surprised by the lack of etiquette. I should have said something but there were some ladies that work there within earshot and I didn't want to embarrass him. I adjusted my chair so that I was no longer in the line of fire. He did it repeatedly for all eight semi-auto pistols.

xerts1191 likes this.
  19. sparkyfender

sparkyfender Active Member

Nov 26, 2017
    The boogered up Dan Wesson A2 story made me sad. I'd love to find a used one in a local store, as I've never seen one new or used in the several LGS I hit up frequently.

20. MSGT2511

MSGT2511 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 14, 2016
    Well, you've obviously never been to Specialty Sports in Colorado Springs. Always have a case full of Wilsons and Browns, with an occasional Nighthawk or ten...….One time I was in there, while visiting my brother who lives in Colorado Springs, and I counted 67 Wilsons in the case, along with over 20 Ed Browns. They had 3 Barrett 50 cals displayed, available for purchase. They advertise over 6000 guns, and I believe them! Why, because I have seen their store, numerous times, and wow! Prices are steep, but man, do they have an inventory!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    C_Hallbert likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted