1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ex Rent-a-Engineer
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering one .. I picked up a VBob in 45 a couple years ago, then last year a Guardian in 38 super, really like the 38S, especially since I reload.

My question; anyone acquire a CBob in 38S? I would assume it would be special order? How does the Cbob measure up to the current Vbob?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I have a See Bob. I love it. It's a bit different than a stock gun though. I liked the stock version. According to their website and a quick convo with Keith, it's .45 AARP only.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Part of this discussion would depend upon whether one was speaking of the original Classic bobtail dating back to 2010 and earlier or the current production.

I know the original CBOB was produced in both. 45 AARP (quoting @FWoo45 ) and 10mm.

The originals were built very similar to the Valor bobtail, except they had smooth mainspring housings. Fortunately these were compatible with the Ed Brown bobtail mainspring housings, so improvements to the back straps were easy.

I believe the current production Classics are NOT compatible with EB mainspring housings, so your only option is checkered.

My understanding is that all Classic bobtail were stainless only and I've never seen one chambered in. 38 Super or 9mm.

Reactions: isialk and FWoo45

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I believe that the DW website is a bit misleading. My Google-fu indicates that they have always been offered only with a smooth MSH. My understanding is that DW essentially keeps this around for the CA market. IME the smooth MSH is a crock, really doesn't help with concealment but the benefits of a checkered MSH are significant. This is in reference to the newer guns only. Thanks for the breakdown Zoid. I'm becoming more interested in older DW's. A fun education even if I can't find one. I just bought the gun because I had no idea what I was doing and it felt better than my Sig.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I believe that the DW website is a bit misleading. My Google-fu indicates that they have always been offered only with a smooth MSH. My understanding is that DW essentially keeps this around for the CA market. IME the smooth MSH is a crock, really doesn't help with concealment but the benefits of a checkered MSH are significant. This is in reference to the newer guns only. Thanks for the breakdown Zoid. I'm becoming more interested in older DW's. A fun education even if I can't find one. I just bought the gun because I had no idea what I was doing and it felt better than my Sig.

If you need an upgraded mainspring housing, I have a Chainlink II I am about to cut loose . . .

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
If you need an upgraded mainspring housing, I have a Chainlink II I am about to cut loose . . .
I appreciate it. I'll keep my peepers peeled for your FS thread. I don't need it for this gun but I'm sure I do for one of my bubba smiffin gats. I've got one in mind...

Mr. Owens was kind enough to fit an EB to my gun during the transformation from run of the mill CBOB to the See Bob.
20191011_211747.jpg

Shameless plug for Curly's live edge pistol stands.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
D492A123-1122-4C58-B933-7A6D2C878D9A.jpeg
090248BF-7574-4A9D-B203-EA27F6B8201C.jpeg
I'm considering one .. I picked up a VBob in 45 a couple years ago, then last year a Guardian in 38 super, really like the 38S, especially since I reload.

My question; anyone acquire a CBob in 38S? I would assume it would be special order? How does the Cbob measure up to the current Vbob?
No experience with the V-bob but here is my special order C-bob in 38 Super. I am very happy with it.
4F7C0FBE-D41A-47EE-B51D-1A845219F719.jpeg

Attachments

·
ex Rent-a-Engineer
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
View attachment 403109 View attachment 403105
No experience with the V-bob but here is my special order C-bob in 38 Super. I am very happy with it. View attachment 403103
THX Sea Dragon, at least I see there is a possibility here with a CBob & possibly another VBob configured in 38Superb. I didn't know the CBob ever had an ambi-safety, as yours show, the current model doesn't (which I prefer).

It's looking like I may have to release a long gun safe queen to finance the next project..

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
THX Sea Dragon, at least I see there is a possibility here with a CBob & possibly another VBob configured in 38Superb. I didn't know the CBob ever had an ambi-safety, as yours show, the current model doesn't (which I prefer).

It's looking like I may have to release a long gun safe queen to finance the next project..
It was about 2K with the options, including caliber and Ambi, grips, trigger, and sites.

·
Banned
180 Posts
I own a C-Bob as well as a V-Bob. Both are great pistols but I favor the C-Bob over the V-Bob. If you can get a C-Bob OTD for under $1400, I would say that is a very good deal. As to your questions, I'll do my best...

1. C-Bobs used to have cast frames in models before 2009 or 2010. Slides have always been forged. Since 2010, the slide and frame is forged.

2. No MIM parts in current production guns as far as I know.

3. My C-Bob seems to shoot POA/POI. Not sure on the sight cut. I'm sure a forum search will yield that info.

4. My C-Bob has held up to the elements very well. It's the pistol I usually take with me for woods/farm carry. No rust or any issues. I just wipe it down with some FP-10 from time to time in between field stripping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts