1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to sort out a problem with 38 Special reloads in a new Colt King Cobra. Intermittent light primer strikes. Maybe 3-6 rounds every 100. Reloads fire 100% in my Smith’s. I typically clean my brass with the spent primer in. Primer sample has primer seated about flush. Gun has been back to Colt twice and notes on first slip say they repaired endshake. No notes on 2nd slip. I have never fired factory rounds through it but will buy some today. Are CCI primers “hard”?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
@Old Sea Dragon I had issues like that with my CZ pistols. After investigating my primers were not 100% seated all the way and would move during the firing pin strike thereby negating the round going off and giving a light strike. Made an adjustment to the 1050 and issues resolved. And you may be well aware of this, make sure your primers are seated all the way, not necessarily flush. A few may have squeaked by as it was with me.
Some good primer info here: disregard the error name in link, it works.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Old Sea Dragon I had issues like that with my CZ pistols. After investigating my primers were not 100% seated all the way and would move during the firing pin strike thereby negating the round going off and giving a light strike. Made an adjustment to the 1050 and issues resolved. And you may be well aware of this, make sure your primers are seated all the way, not necessarily flush. A few may have squeaked by as it was with me.
Yeah, definitely a possibility. I will play with seating depth. They should seat slightly below flush. Pain that this Colt is more sensitive to this than my Smiths and Rugers. I will load a batch after thoroughly cleaning primer pockets.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info in there, thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've had light strikes loading 454 with cci srp. Switched to federal srp to load the casull for the past few years and haven't had a single light strike since.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fortunately I have primers, unfortunately they are all CCI. Another member suggested extra power springs but it does not seem Wolff or Springco make them. Brownells yielded zip also

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
I've heard of hard cci primers, but I've used them for years and noticed nothing. Most of my firearms utilize stock spec springs. Primers should be deeper than flush, but I bet you know that. At any rate, I hope you get it sorted, sucks 2 trips to mothership already. Frustrating, at least

·
Registered
110 Posts
CCI primers are definitely harder than Federal. But they're not so hard that any working firearm shouldn't work with them. I personally prefer CCI simply because they seem to feed the most reliably in my reloading press.

If you want to see if it's the gun or the ammo, buy some CCI Blazer Brass or S&B loaded ammo. They use harder primers but should still fire in your gun. If they don't fire reliably, you have a firearm problem. If they do, then you have a reload problem.

As others mentioned, not seating the primer deep enough could definitely cause problems. It's happened to me. I also prefer to decap spent brass before cleaning to let the primer pockets get good and clean too. That's likely overly OCD on my part.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had an issue with my Charter Arms Bulldog & light primer strikes. Probably CCI, but could have been Win. I replace the hammer spring with a new factory one and all was well. Tried a Wolff extra power spring and it made the trigger pull horrible. I’m not sure if Colt is using a spring or leaf style, but a new one may solve your problem?

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CCI primers are definitely harder than Federal. But they're not so hard that any working firearm shouldn't work with them. I personally prefer CCI simply because they seem to feed the most reliably in my reloading press.

If you want to see if it's the gun or the ammo, buy some CCI Blazer Brass or S&B loaded ammo. They use harder primers but should still fire in your gun. If they don't fire reliably, you have a firearm problem. If they do, then you have a reload problem.

As others mentioned, not seating the primer deep enough could definitely cause problems. It's happened to me. I also prefer to decap spent brass before cleaning to let the primer pockets get good and clean too. That's likely overly OCD on my part.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out.
A friend has some S and B and I bought some Norma to try tomorrow . Thanks. This batch of reloads has run fine in my Smith model 66

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,909 Posts
I was speaking with a friend about 454 reloads using CCI rifle primers that the gun won't set off. It turned out in this instance to be the hard primers. I suggested use of factory loads for his bear ammo. You don't want click to be the last thing you'll hear in a bear attack

·
Registered
761 Posts
That was very informative. Thanks for posting the link.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
i’ve had problems with cci primers in factory guns. they are hard. switched to federals and never had another problem.
I believe that Federals are the softest, then Winchester. I don’t know where Remingtons fall.

That said; I’ve never had problems with CCI primers in guns with standard rate mainsprings (hammer springs) or standard rate striker springs.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe that Federals are the softest, then Winchester. I don’t know where Remingtons fall.

That said; I’ve never had problems with CCI primers in guns with standard rate mainsprings (hammer springs) or standard rate striker springs.
Me either, until this Colt:mad:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Has the Colt been tuned for a lighter DA trigger pull? That usually includes replacing the mainspring with a lighter one.

Do the King Cobras retain the leaf mainspring like the new Pythons?

My original Cobra (snubbie) of course has a leaf mainspring.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts