1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Codename Duchess
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between the two for my next pistol. One place I used for reference lists a steel CCO at 33 ounces and an aluminum one at 27 ounces.

I really dig this size, more so than even a Government so this will be my main 'everything' 1911. This includes carry and IDPA types of activities. I'm already leaning heavily toward the steel but figured you guys might have some points that haven't occurred to me.

Is 6 ounces really worth it?

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,017 Posts
Steel, in my opinion; you'll get accustomed to six ounces.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,788 Posts
Every little bit counts. ;)
Well thanks for being so freaking specific! :roflmaro:

See, addicts aren't anything without those that enable them. That is the PERFECT enabler statement because it can be taken as support of either view!
Especially when your talking about what's in your pants!;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I really like to carry the aluminum framed cco but I saw that DW made a steel framed cco with checkering for someone and I'd really like to try one out. I carry a vbob somtimes which I would think would be kinda close to the steel framed cco and the weight isn't bad but the aluminum frame is a little more comfortable to carry for longer periods.

·
Administrator
8,295 Posts
Meh. I carry nothing but 200+P Gold Dots in my ULCc .45 and they are very easy to manage. Besides, it's just a .45 :eek:.o::confused:

Ditto. :thumbs:
I carry the same except 185 grain Wilson Barnes ammo. Recoil is not much at all over a steel commander honestly..

·
Codename Duchess
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd want it be as light as possible!

Until I fired it!
I was thinking about that. If a person put a 6oz weight on the end of their pistol they'd probably notice the difference. But since the weight is in the palm of your hand....? That's what I don't know since I can't shoot two side by side.

·
You serious, Clark?
2,991 Posts
I guess I was really just saying, while the recoil isn't awful, a steel framed 1911 of the same size, should have less felt recoil.

At least to me it does.

Or I think it does?.....

·
Codename Duchess
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The other thing I was thinking is frame life. Since I want to use it for everything and shoot the hell out of it (no safe queens here!!) I was considering that angle. I haven't researched aluminum frame life yet but just going off forum perception (always a dangerous idea) they don't hold up as well.

·
You serious, Clark?
2,991 Posts
I was thinking about that. If a person put a 6oz weight on the end of their pistol they'd probably notice the difference. But since the weight is in the palm of your hand....? That's what I don't know since I can't shoot two side by side.

Even with me thinking heavier gun for less recoil, I'd still choose the aluminum frame for a carry gun.

I carry Glocks. I carried a 36 for years! Loved it! Now I carry a 30sf.

Want the lightest gun to carry. Then when I shoot it, I wish it was a full size. Guess that's what I was getting at originally.

I do want to get an aluminum CCO or Cmdr to start carrying a 1911 again.

So after all that,....I'm voting aluminum.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,788 Posts
The other thing I was thinking is frame life. Since I want to use it for everything and shoot the hell out of it (no safe queens here!!) I was considering that angle. I haven't researched aluminum frame life yet but just going off forum perception (always a dangerous idea) they don't hold up as well.
The way you plan to shoot the hell out of it, I would go with steel. This is why all my guns are steel.

·
Eddie Van Halen
6,936 Posts
I carried an alloy frame CCO just before getting a steel frame CCO. The weight difference while carrying was unnoticed, but the balance of the steel frame felt better to me. It didn't feel top heavy.

Not much I can say about recoil. Alloy was 45 and steel was 10mm.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts