CCW Guns and Round Count

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blayglock, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Boy I know these here type of threads can get heated in a hurry but I am curious about this question within a narrowly defined set of parameters. A thread on another forum got me thinking about this.

Given the rise of flashmobs and "occupy <insert city or location here>" has anyone changed thier main carry gun due to capacity?

Personally I havent, I still carry either a G19 or 1911 (Usually 9mm as well) depending on mood and dress and will continue to do so. I dont go downtown (or dahn-tahn in Pittsburgh speak) much anyway and Im not aware of any tom-foolery (except for what goes on here!)..

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I have not,........my current EDC is a HK P2000, 9mm

Winter, and after I get it to the range for verification of function,
    will be a Colt Commander in 45 ACP.

Spare mags carried with each.

3. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    In addition would y'all include if you live in a major metro area?

4. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I like my 8 rounders. It is very unlikely that I will every have to use more than the 25 rounds I carry. On duty I only carry 33 rounds.

5. bw210

bw210 Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Nope... EMP40 and two spare mags as always. Don't live in a major metro area... but we have probably one of the largest illegal populations in the midwest.

6. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I live in the suburbs, in generally a very nice neighborhood. There isn't much crime here, and it's usually nothing serious. However, I go to school in a not-as-nice part of town, and am constantly all over Cincinnati and surrounding cities. I carry everywhere I go, except where I legally can't. I obviously carry my EMP, 9mm and I also carry one additional magazine. However, that's more for malfunction reasons instead of having more ammo. Of course it also doesn't hurt.

I believe "research" and "studies" show that the majority of self-defense situations end in something like 2-3 shots? I'm honestly more worried about equipment malfunction instead of shooting 17 times and running out of ammo. At that point, or well before, I'd be running away for my life! Personally, I think WAY too many people harp on round-capacity and how much they can carry, instead of the important things, like learning how to quickly and SAFELY clear malfunctions and diagnose them.

Maybe it's just because I was always taught that in the Marine Corps, but if I've learned anything valuable, it's that malfunctions WILL happen, at the worst possible time, and it could very well result in my death if I'm not competent in how to clear them quickly and safely.

Side Story: Shooting USPSA on Sunday, I was talking to an individual who said he never practices malfunction clearing or drills. I see this a lot, and it's VERY clear who practices and who doesn't. Especially when you add the "stress" of the timer, it's amazing to me how many people (myself included), completely FAIL to clear a simple malfunction. Now, just imagine if someone was actually trying to kill you in the process.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  7. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    9mm EMP. 8+1 and an extra 8. I feel sufficiently armed. I live in the burbs and work in dowtown Cleveland.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  8. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I now carry 6+1 9mm in my Kahr MK9.

Prior to this I carried 7+1 in a 3" 45ACP 1911.

I live in a Pleasantville kind of small town where nothing ever happens, but weekly travel to a major metro area (Dayton, OH) which is a major crime zone. I keep extra mags in my truck.

9. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    As POLIZEI and I live in the same town,it seems like are feelings on EDC pieces are about the same.

I base my carry more on wardrobe than capacity.I have been known to carry my Boresight Solutions G19 in a Galco Miami Classic rig,but that's when the weather turns to "jacket weather".

Most of the time it's a Kahr K9 or a Ruger LCR.

Nothing beats situational awareness and the ability to run,dodge and jump.

(knowing the difference between cover and concealment helps too! :grin: )

Just my.02

DAT85

10. c.helm

c.helm Active Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I always have my keltec 32 with me. It's 7 rounds is fine. When I have my 1911 on me I just stick with the one mag in it.

11. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    At the moment I don't carry a firearm[due to my resident status] so I have a few "less than lethal" items that go with me everywhere. A can of Cold Steel's Inferno, either my Spyderco or another cold steel blade, as well as a monadnock collapsible baton.. just gotta get the coin together for a taser next... it is going to be a long 3 yrs...:rolleyes2:

12. Retired

Retired New Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think I'll change. I always carry a 5" 1911 chambered in .45 ACP. With two spare magazines, I have a total of 25 rounds.

A single-stack pistol and two spare magazines are comfortable to carry and easy to conceal. I think it's a reasonable compromise of comfort vs. defensive firepower.

13. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I carry a Glock 19 with 16 in it and one extra mag, two if I am rolling the OWB, as that is what the mag carrier holds.

I think if I ever have to reload in a self defense shooting, I am in some deep stuff. I live out in the burbs in a rural area, but work near a pretty high crime area.

Come winter when I have on a jacket and can better use an OWB setup I will switch to a 1911. I do not feel under gunned with 11 + 10.

14. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Short of a jam/failure, one mag (seven rounds+1) is all I'll ever need in a defensive situation. The only way I'm firing on somebody is if they're about to be all over me. I'm too old to run or jump and too big to hide.. It'll be over before I can use eight rounds.. One way or another.. Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2011
  15. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    The sole reason I carry a second mag, or "clip" as Limb so eloquently called it.

16. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Damn I did didn't I. Off with his head!!!

17. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    I carry an extra flint and ramrod in my knee moccasin lately just in case. I also keep an extra ziplock sandwich bag of pyrodex in the glove box.

I would think that flash mobs would be more of a threat to business owners and their employees that an individual. If I had a building in a city I would have added mags by now. IFI could legally carry in L.A. Ca. I would feel well armed with a J frame and a speed strip.

18. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

19. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    :rofl2: I deserve it.

20. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Is that George W Bush?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted