close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CCW'ing a nice 1911.

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by Okie, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I know that 99% of the 1911's out there are awesome pistols, but should a person CCW a very nice 1911? If you have to defend your self and shoot someone, your CCW weapon WILL be taken from you for a while, and who knows how it will be treated, for that reason I'm wondering if it would be wise to carry a real nice pistol. Use your high end 1911's at the range and CCW something like a RIA or SA Milspec, something like that. What are your thoughts:peaceful:

2. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    If I have to defend myself and I am carrying a nice 1911... it will be money well spent if you ask me.

I would not CCW something that is rare or collectible, but simply custom or expensive hell yeah!

I only have my Les Baer which was not super expensive compared to others, but I would carry it.

3. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    I wouldn't (and don't) give it a second thought. Odds are very high that I will ever have to skin it and use it in a self-defense situation. If I do, it will very probably be a good SD shooting. If my pistol gets confiscated at all, I wouldn't really care at that point....I have plenty more. The only thing I would really care about is that I am still standing and the other dude/dudes ain't. That is the whole reason we carry anyway, right?

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I agree, I don't have a collectable pistol and it would probably be foolish to carry one. Other than that, I see no reason not to carry your best... Ron

5. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I don't give it a second thought. Like Dave said, the odds of me ever having to use it are really slim. I value my life and the life of my wife and kids more than my Ed Brown. If the LEOs beat it up a little, no biggie. It can always be refinished.

6. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    The only really nice 1911s I own are full size guns, and I don't carry full size guns, so no worries. :grin:

My carry guns are: Sig P238, Colt Defender, Kimber Ultra Carry

None are irreplaceable.

I worry more about the guys who only own one pistol. What will they do if theirs is seized for evidence?

I suspect the paranoia factor would be high after surviving a deadly encounter, and to be unarmed would probably leave me curled up in the middle of the floor with the doors and windows locked.

7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Good point about only having one pistol, fortunately I don't know anyone that carries with only one pistol... Ron

8. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    If my Kobra Carry got "impounded"...I'd pick up a RIA to carry until I got it back. Would have no problem at all carrying the Rock until I got my EB back.

9. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Whenever I CC a 1911, it's always a pretty good one. Like Dave said, you want something you know is gonna work every time it's called upon. My life and/or anyone else's life I would be defending, is worth more than any gun I own. Besides, if it gets confiscated and roughed up, then that just gives me a good reason to have it hardchromed when it gets out of lock up. :lol:

10. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I am sure someone else from NE Ohio would be happy to give you say... a Nice SA Custom to tide you over. :)

11. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I only have one 1911, so if ai ever do use it I am screwed. I shouldn't have traded my SA loaded on my Range Officer, I should have saved a while longer, that way I could CCW the loaded and it wouldn't have bothered me as much:grin:

12. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Very true. They have offered before. We have plenty of nice 1911s up here. :thumb:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  13. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I mainly CC a LCP and a Glock, and recently I CC my LCP with my 442. However if I am CCing a 1911 and I have multiple 1911's at the time, I carry the one I felt performed best at the range with the particular SD ammo I am using. If it happens to be a $500 gun so be, and if it happens to be a $1500 gun that is fine too. My life and my families life are priceless. Any gun can be replaced, or it would be a god reason to upgrade!

14. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    that's a negative ghost rider. he doesn't like 20LPI checkering :wave:

15. Trent

Aug 15, 2011
    't
    He doesn't want to mess up his nice hands, then he can carry his murse.

16. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    use what you have. if a person only has a nice $2500 1911 it does no good if it's in the safe.

many of us are fortunate to own multiple guns, so it would be an issue.

depending on the shoot, the cost of the 1911 will be small compared to lawyer fees.

17. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    Especially if you are already an attorney.......:peace:

18. Trent

Aug 15, 2011
    Well... If I ever have to cap someone as a civilian, I will make sure to call you!

19. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I have never understood the concerns over using an expensive pistol for a justified shooting. The only thing that should matter is the weapon worked, regardless of the cost. If someone was truly concerned over a "priceless" pistol being seized, leave it in the safe 24/7. If you're training with your pistol it will get much more wear and tear than anything else, so why worry about something that may never happen?

I know someone who used their pistol for SD, police seized it, threw it in an evidence locker until the trial was completed. He got the pistol back 8-10 months later with slight surface rust and the bloodstains from using it, but no case number/markings were etched on the pistol. I assume markings would depend on your local policies.

20. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Nothing a grinder can't fix :p

BTW your grips should be on the way now, you get the amount of service you pay for. That and when I hand them to someone and say ship this... I guess I was not clear and did not say what century.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted