1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wheeler sight pusher and have changed about a dozen sights so far. I always have a little trouble centering them on the slide, front and rear. How are you guys ensuring your sights are perfectly centered?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,480 Posts
First off, the human eye is pretty darn good at establishing dead center. I trust that as a starting point , then go shoot it off a rest to see where it’s shooting where I’m looking. Adjust from there... ive rarely needed much adjustment at all, ymmv

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
As above. Eyeball it. Good lighting goes a long way. I sometimes push them a smidge after I’ve had a range session. So the front sight will be centered, but no telling where the rear sight will end up.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My general rule: rear sight centered on the firing pin. Front sight centered on the barrel.

·
Registered
673 Posts
First off, you don't need a sight pusher to center a sight. I have used a lexan stick as a punch and drifted it with a hammer without marring the finish on the sight. It is also possible to use a brass punch, but you run the risk of leaving marks on the sight if you hit the punch too hard. Once you have attempted to center the sight, you don't have to wait to shoot it. You can use a sight bore and by shining the laser point on a wall, you can determine if the dot lines up with your point of aim. If it does, you are set.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts