Cerakote Black experiences?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by The Mulberrian, Mar 10, 2019.

1. The Mulberrian

The Mulberrian Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Im looking for a good matte black Cerakote color.
    Ive never used it, and there are several colors of Black in their offerings (Oven Baked Only).

Im looking @ the "Blackout" as opposed to the "Graphite Black" they offer.
    BLACKOUT:
    View attachment 236205
    I have a lot of experience with Duracoat but it seems Cerakote is now cheaper & Ive always wanted to try it (I have a 4' oven:D).

Only interested in "Black".

Any experience?

2. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    My experience is cerakote sucks for pistols. I have two that are SS underneath and they shed their coating when even sitting near a holster. Both are factory jobs.
    I have several cerakoted rifles with no issues though.

3. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Cerakote is a great finish but has to be applied properly. Chuck and Lou are masters at it.

azpoolguy, WWB and 41 Charlie like this.
  4. The Mulberrian

Feb 7, 2019
    Im just a hobbiest bro...
    I just want to try it (Cerakote) & not waste money on a black color I dont like.

Duracoat has been good to me, but getting expensive.
    I was skocked how well Duracoat has held up for me.
    I did a guys Stevens bolt action 22-250 3 years ago with black & stainless steel Duracoat.
    Pretty tight tolerence & it has held up extremely well (I bake my Duracoat).
    It had black marks on the bolt, but you can take a rag & wipe em right off (its just oil on the surface).
    He lives to hunt, & has put it through its paces these last 3 years.

0503171601a.jpg
    0503171738a.jpg
    0508171610a.jpg
    0607171407d.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  5. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict Sponsor

Oct 3, 2011
    Cerakote is a fine product, but not the end all finish. I tested the Elite black for American Handgunner and found it better than the original. It lays down thinner and has a nice shade of black. All Cerakote works better with a Parkerized sub finish. Manganese phosphate is a good dark base after blasting with alox beads. I prefer IonBond which is applied in a vacuum chamber , it is tough, but not cheap. The advantage to Cerakote is the variety of color and the ability to do it in house cheaply.

RN47, rmac and limbkiller like this.
  6. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Ion Bond is so far superior from any and all quantifiable criteria that it is not even a fair comparison of the spray and bake products.

The USMC learned the hard way.

7. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Graphite Black Cerekote. I couldn’t be more pleased. Holds up well to carry use.

7DE53C0B-6770-4F5E-89C4-C5BA312BF34B.jpeg DF84CA57-5448-4FBF-B8A1-7170D7C7BEFC.jpeg 206CD48D-94B4-4434-ACA1-9308562FA8D6.jpeg

45ACP_ray, 1911 dawg, gps man and 9 others like this.
  8. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Not sure which shade of black this is (Dubs may remember), but you can see it has held up very well. Several thousand rounds fired, many more practice draws, and carried in kydex. Notice the barrel hood and how well it has held up.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    People like to pay $75 for a Cerakote job then cry about its quality.
    And that's ok!
    Some of the other mentioned coatings do not provide very good corrosion protection.
    The pistol shown above was done in Graphite Black. The level of matte/sheen can be adjusted as needed.

10. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I had two in “Graphite Black,” it is a good color and Cerakote is a a good finish; like all finishes it has limitations. Educate yourself on the product and proceed with the necessary knowledge knowing it will take much practice to achieve results like Lou’s or Chuck’s.

11. The Mulberrian

Feb 7, 2019
    Im asking about the color, not the application.
    Im guessing there is ALWAYS someone better at application (Even the two mentioned).:D

12. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy Sponsor

Aug 21, 2011
    All I know is to get Cerakote as close to perfect as I can it takes VERY good prep , the right amount of coverage & mix....it’s actually one of my most dredded parts of a build . It takes a good 1/2 a day for me to get it prepped , parked , applied and into the oven. Would it be easier to just send it out for a finish... ? sure , but I try to keep as much in house as possible so I have full control. Are there a few more durable options.. ?Yes ,but do they offer lubricating properties and fantastic corrosion protection? I love not having to worry about shipping it to a vendor and it arrives or comes back damaged or parts end up missing etc. Too many variables that are out of my control. Plus the added expense of shipping and insuring a high value item to & back . If the clients decides they would like another finish they can send it to any place they would like after receiving it from me.

13. lsbbigdog

Aug 21, 2011
    3 years of hard EDC in a Kydex rig ....countless draws and THOUSANDS of rounds.
    3185E2AF-86A3-4614-AA95-DC81594F6B4D.jpeg

14. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    That’s part of the problem. Cerakote needs a base of 120g alum oxide to prep the metal substrate. The parkerizing is a good primer but the prep starts with the metal.

Cerakote is only as good as the prep and application.

I prefer Cerakote because it is something I can do at as a hobbies 1911 assembler.

deadguy and 41 Charlie like this.
  15. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I'll also add:
    The 120 grit aluminum oxide blast material needs to be rather fresh.
    It does break down in use and 'worn out' media will not provide the proper
    'tooth' for good results.
    I blast at 100 psi or so. Pretty aggressive pressure that breaks down the media
    faster than the usual 50psi.

16. lsbbigdog

Aug 21, 2011
    Toof!!

17. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    The blast is key. Very few people keep an eye on that. The metal should have enough "toof" that when you pull the parts from the blaster they have a slight sparkle to them in the light. All of the facets created by the blast will reflect light in a certain way. If the parts just simply look flat gray, you probably should change blast. Don't know if you dudes have noticed that or not.

Sending parts out for finish is the worst thing in the world. Everyone screws up everything and they lose everything. You are best off keeping in house, Louie. You can't beat the finishes you and Chuck do. They're smooth as can be.

18. Rezarf

Rezarf Active Member

Dec 30, 2018
    To the OP the blackout looks darker to me than the graphite black... I like the look of the graphite myself.

41 Charlie likes this.
  19. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    The gat I posted above, as Dubs said, is graphite black, and I don't see how it could be any blacker than it is when looking at it with naked eye. It's a great color.

20. The Mulberrian

Feb 7, 2019
    Thank you Gentlemen, I appreciate the info...
    After further research, I went with the Graphite Black.
    Ordered "Graphite Black" Wednesday.
    It might be awhile before I spray it (too damn cold here).

I started building a spray booth (complete with variable exhaust) last August but never finished it.

Waiting on Spring/Summer will give me a chance to catch up on that project.

41 Charlie likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted