1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt Combat Commander long the worse for wear in stainless. I'm thinking of having it bead blasted and then a Cerakote job. The gun is stainless with the accumulate wear marks of nearly 30+ years. I'm kinda leaning towards a simple black slide and keeping the frame stainless, or matte paint on the frame. Your favorite color combination and thoughts are welcome - along with any photos you might want to share of your favorite combo.

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm a big fan of Cerakote (you might want to do a search here, however, it's a divisive subject). I prefer it on carbon steel atop parkeriziation, though; on stainless it's good, but not as good as the Cerakote/park combo, and stainless can't be parkerized.

If I were you, whatever you choose I'd refinish the entire pistol and enjoy the improved corrosion and abrasion resistance throughout, as long as you're sending it in anyway (although if you do just the slide it certainly makes shipping easier).

I'd also consider, among any other gunsmithing you might do, at minimum getting the front strap checkered since you seem to prefer something grippier.

For stainless, I'd opt for DLC or nitriding first (the latter only if the pistol is in the exact configuration you intend to keep), Cerakote second.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,592 Posts
Honestly? Unless I was building on it I'd just have it bead blasted and call it good. That'll give it a fresh, clean look if that's all you're after.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I really like the look of nitride if you want a new look. If not I'd just bead blast it and enjoy it

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
I recently started a build on a blued Colt Competition. After slide and framework is was bead blasted for final finishing. I am having the slide hard chromed while the frame and components will be gun koted black. I had an older Nighthawk Custom that I sold (big regret) several years ago that was finished in a similar manner and I want to mimic it.

Do what pleases you and don't feel bad about it. Some don't like shiny guns and other hate cerakote or other finishes but it's your pistol. Do it up right and enjoy it.

·
i'm riding a turtle!
3,198 Posts
I agree with sawman because 1.cerakote doesn’t hold up as well on stainless 2. Polished flats look sharp

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Cerakote can be a great finish if the prep and application is done properly. It ain't no DLC though. That said, I love some honest wear so I'm no help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts