Cerakoteing the slide???

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by BCD 45, Mar 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I have another newbie question. Just say, I have a LNIB DW Valkyrie Commander with the duty finish and I value this at $1300. If I send the slide and have it professionally Cerkoted, will that decrease the value? I like two tone guns and I'd leave the frame black and probably have the slide done burnt bronze or tungsten color. Thanks for your advice.

Jim D

2. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    Absolutely will decrease in value. You wouldn't really change a fine finish for a spray and bake?

3. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Send it to Lou at Business End Customs. Top notch cerakoting.

azpoolguy likes this.
  4. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I've used X-werks in Phoenix for years & years and they do 1st class work. But, if it's going to decrease the value, I'm not going to have it done. Thanks,

Jim D

5. Renegade4006

Renegade4006 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2018
    If this is what you want then you would be much better off starting with a pistol in a stainless steel finish (slide and frame).

6. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Wow, $$$ serious cabbage to buy a gun, then coat the original finish. Dude, go buy a frame and slide and do it right. Really?

If I had the disposable income you seem to have my kids college fund would be good and my dreams of a Knights Armament .338 would be sitting on my rest.

7. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Yeah, if I were a buyer, I would lose interest at the word "cerakote" . . . . . .

I like two-tone guns too - blued over stainless, duty finish over stainless. But brown over duty finish . . . . . next . . . .

WC145 likes this.
  8. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Or increase its value because you no longer need to worry about what solvents, cleaners or lube you use.

9. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr Active Member

Mar 28, 2016
    I did 2 Kimber ultra slides. The normal version was junk. Elite series I did on the second one, that seem to hold up better. But for $93 slide you can have it black Carbon TiN done. What’s cerakote going rate $60 for slide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I like 2 tone slides but my main reason was post #8, about the finish. I've read a bunch about how careful you have to be with DW's and the solvent you use. I don't want a spotted color slide or anything else.
    Sorry, I don't have a Knight's but I do have a Barrett 338.

Jim D

11. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr Active Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Definitely don’t cerakote the aluminum frame. Made my Kimber softer, was disassembling and dropped pin on the frame and it dented it.
    Me personally if I wanted 2 tone on DW, would send the slide out for Nickel Boron(NiBX)or NP3.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  12. Damingus

Damingus Active Member

Nov 6, 2015

Was NOT aware that Cerakote softens metals!

13. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
  14. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Me either. Now I need to go inspect my gat for dents and stuff.

Damingus and WC145 like this.
  15. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr Active Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Think it is more of be aware of who is doing it. That one was done by a non certified cerakote applicator. Did get a refund on that job, but that did not fix the issues. Think you can do more mistakes with steel and be fine, but aluminum. Aluminum just media blasting seconds too long or in the same place will remove the anodizing production. So you have that to worry about, then did they put it on thick enough, then bake temp and time.

Before I sold it. I did email cerakote and sent it to them and they fixed it. What got me the most is it was a frame and need a FFL License to receive. Thinking ohh have FFL must be a good gunsmith/ refinisher.

But one like what they like. Example for me would be classic shaving razors. Some people like to get them revamped in gunkote vs revamp in rhodium/nickel/gold. Resell value is in the demand at that time with the market. I got this Gillette slim G3 from my grandfather when he passed, and I wanted it to look like it did when he bought it.

[​IMG]

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted