Change grips

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Norules, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Norules

Norules New Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I'm totally new to the .45 and now I own a brand new Gold Cup Trophy. Is it difficult to change the grips ? Is there anything i should know beforehand ?

Thanks in advance for your support !

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Just get a PROPER fitting bit for the screw,........

3. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Easy as putting on a new pair of shoes. Remove the two screws. Then pop off. I usually put my finger through the magazine well and pop It off from the inside. Helps if the grip is a really tight fit.

4. Norules

Norules New Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Great, nice trick the one based on pushing them from the inside !

Thank you!

:thumb:

5. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Proper fitting tools are the most important thing, it seems. You can sure bugger up a nice gun using the wrong tools.

6. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Good advice above.

Also keep in mind that grips are sold in both standard and slim thickness. If yours came with standard grips, your pistol will most likely have standard length grip screw bushings, slim grips will not fit without changing the bushings.

Also if you have an ambi-safety where the right side is held in place by the right grip, make sure the replacements are cut for the ambi-safety too.

7. E39

E39 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 15, 2011
    I swapped out Torx grip screws for GI slotted. Took an old stubby flat blade screwdriver and ground it down so that it would fit the slot properly and not mar the grip. Then I covered the blade tip with Plasti-Dip. Overkill, but I was bored and I like using my Dremel tool.

8. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    Be prepared for the bushings to be a real b!tch to get out, if your going thin and need to replace them.

9. Norules

Norules New Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I ordered mine from Wickedgrips and told Ed what my model is...he took care of sending me the proper screws...I'll keep you posted as soon as they arrive...

10. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    You have good taste! :thumb:

Anything Ed makes is straight up beautiful,even the grips with skulls! :eek:

DAT85

11. Norules

Norules New Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Yes, and he's incredibly fast ! Notwithstanding I'm in Italy, we had a great, quick correspondence via e-mail...I understand his products are of good quality, I also ordered the screws and the holster from him...:nod:

12. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Ed is one of the best in the industry. I not THE best. You won't regret it. Ciao.

13. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Haha... very cool Norules! Glad to see you on the forum bud! The screws I am sending you take both a flat tip.. or a hex wrench... so no worries on the change!

14. Slabside

Slabside Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Also with any screws , after you find the correct bit , I put a small drop of oil in the slot of the screw , it just adds alittle cushion
    while turning the screw driver . Comes in real handy when the screws are blued ones or working on a revolver . :thumb:

15. Norules

Norules New Member

Dec 1, 2011
    That's true, Ed ! It might sound strange but I find difficulties in Italy in finding proper equipment and now I know I can rely on such a good firm...:thumb: Sometimes I feel I'm living in the Middle Age...:pound:

16. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I hear you Norules... I'd still love to come visit!! I miss the Italian Alps... and the food & wine!!!! These will be easy to do either way. And no offense to slabside, but dont oil the screw on these.... wood is a sponge, and will soak it up. They will also shoot loose if any oil gets on threads. The slex screws I am sending will screw right in easy... and you can just snug them up gently. No force needed... no overtitghten.

Do you have blue loctite availble over there? if you do.. just a tiny dab on the threads will work great.. if not, you can use just a dab of clear nail polish on the threads as well. Enjoy!!

17. Dennis1209

Dennis1209 New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Tell me about it... I changed out my factory Kimber grips with Esmiranda (sp) coco bolo thin grips. I didn't have a bit for my 1/2 inch pneumatic impact wrench!

18. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Sometimes the bushings are staked in.... be carefull!

Also... they make a bit at brownells for this... usefull if you plan on changing bushings

19. Norules

Norules New Member

Dec 1, 2011
    So, Ed, take advantage of some holidays and come over here ! Nice food and wine are at their top and I can personally guarantee for the best 'carbonara' you ever had !

Thanks for the hint about Blue Loctite, I think we have it here...:thumb:

20. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I wish I could bud! But after xmas here, I have a huge new years eve concert we've promoted thru the tattoo studio (sideshow & concert... for 500 folks) and then, two weeks later, I hae to be in vegas for SHOT show. BUSY!! However, if I can ever swing a trip.. I would love to take the wife to italy!!! I'll eat s much I wont fit on the plane back! hahaha

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted