Dan Wesson Changing out my recoil spring?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Tony13, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Tony13

Tony13 Member

Dec 7, 2018
    I’ve been shooting my DW PM9 with American Eagle 124gr 9mm factory ammo (1150fps) with no issues for the past 6 months. Probably around 3k thru it by now. At my last steel match a few shooters were nice enough to give me a few of they're reloads and I am impressed by the difference in recoil. With one of the reloads I got 4 stove pipes out of 5. Very light load. (115gr @ 800’s FPS) Second reloads heavier load (124gr @900fps) and only got one. I’m researching reloading info now and will definitely be into it by the end of the year or next. But I’ve read about guys changing out they’re recoil springs. PM 9 comes with a 10# spring from what I understand. With a lighter load would I need a heavier spring or lighter one?

2. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Lighter. When I'm dialing in a new load I usually take a bunch of springs and throw them into the range bag. If the current spring doesn't allow full/reliable function, drop down one spring and try again. Stop when you get full/reliable function, as you don't want to underspring the gun too much. I suggest you also run a shok buff.

When competing, I liked to run one spring lighter than needed to keep the slide cycling a bit faster, but I also ran shock buffs and inspected them after every match. Normally, most folks don't need to do this, but I was able to pull the trigger on a competition 38 super faster than a Pact timer could record the shots. On a string of ten shots the timer might record 6-7 shots. People thought I was really strange... ;)

Tony13 likes this.

3. Tony13

Tony13 Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Thanks. Great idea on taking multiple springs. I’m just getting into competition shooting, definitely no problem for the timer to pick up all of my shots. Will look into shok buffs but I’m guessing I’m not at that stage yet.

wrmiller likes this.
  4. David R

David R Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I am shooting 115 HAP with 4.0 titegroup for 1025 FPS. That is 118 power factor.
    Using stock 10 lb. recoil spring. Anything lower and I would need a lighter spring. Always locks back and no other malfunction for me. My wife shoots it. If it does not lock back then she is not holding tight enough. This was only a problem when she started shooting.

A shock buff will not fit in my PM-9.
    David

Tony13 likes this.
  5. Tony13

Tony13 Member

Dec 7, 2018
    I want to say the one reload was 124gr with 3.4 titegroup. I really liked everything about the shots but had the one stove pipe with it. So would need to tinker with that one a bit. The other was 115gr at I believe 3.2 .

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted