Changing sights?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by ORShooter, Jan 6, 2019.

1. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    I have these Novak style sights on my Taurus Officer model and want to change them for something different. Does one need a gunsmith to do it or, is it something simple to do without specialized tools?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Removing the sights could be easy, as they both appear to be held by setscrews.

Installing new sights without a sight pusher (of reputable build) could lead to damage if the sight/slide interface is too much of a interference fit.

If the new sights are too tight you could do what I did for a friend who was in a hurry for a match: I carefully filed the sights to fit with some very light taps with a wooden dowel and a hammer, and then used red loctite in the dovetails.

That was four years ago and the sights are still fine. I did warn him however about if/when he wants new sights as red loctite requires around 450 degrees of heat before a part loosens up for removal. I use that stuff on compensators and it works great. :)

Disclosure: This is all just off the top of my head, and it may or may not be what I'd do if I had the pistol on my bench.

TheCollector and ORShooter like this.

3. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    I'm looking to change them to a set of fixed sights. I don't much care for these adjustable Novak style ones so, sounds like a may need to find me someone who can do it. Appreciate the reply.

TheCollector likes this.
  4. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    What am I missing, what's adjustable o_O

Karsten and Steve Owens like this.
  5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Taurus uses a proprietary cut on their sights just make sure you get the proper ones for the cut..

wrmiller likes this.
  6. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    They are adjustable for windage.

7. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Rear sight is considered windage adjustable by loosening the screw and moving the rear sight right or left.. Fixed so to speak but also adjustable. A fixed sight would be wedged which is doubtful for the Taurus cut.

ORShooter likes this.
  8. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    Figures, they can't just do things normal like everyone else LOL!

Steve Owens likes this.
  9. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Nope and don't every try to get the first part from them personally, it won't happen. Not a trigger or even a grip screw.. You have to send the gun in to them often waiting months and their lifetime warranty is a joke as well. Honestly have never had a positive dealing with their CS..

ORShooter likes this.
  10. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Depending on what you want I do think that Truglo makes sights for them, Dawson Precision has some.. Not sure where else.. But, they are a sight cut all of their own..

ORShooter likes this.
  11. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    Thanks Steve, I'll look at those two makers.

Steve Owens likes this.
  12. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    Steve, do you know which particular ones for the Taurus?

Steve Owens likes this.
  13. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    No worries Kensight might have something as well. Not certain. I have bought a lot of sights in the past from Amazon. You'd be surprised what you can come up with on there sometime. Just be specific about make, model and size.. ;)

ORShooter likes this.
  14. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Not exactly TW, it's been a long tim or 9mm

15. ORShooter

Nov 28, 2018
    Gentleman, I want to thank one and all for the responses and willingness to help! I found someone who lives here in the same town as me who offered to help me, and has a set of sight pusher tools. Now just to figure out which sights!:grin:

wrmiller likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted