Charles Daly Hi Power

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by Lamey, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Lamey

Lamey Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 19, 2019
    So I've been loosely looking for a CD hi power for a while. Not really pushing it but keeping eyes open if one came my way. In making my rounds a few days ago I learned my local shop bought out another and was slowly putting out the newly acquired stock. I stop by daily to see what's new, and behold yesterday a few "NOS" Charles Daly hi powers are out on display.

I tone my excitement down in case I need to do any dealing . Couldn't see the price so didn't want to show my cards so to speak. Was pleased to see they were marked at a very reasonable 4 bills. Looked over them real well checking for obvious fit/finish/machining quality. 1 stood out so I put my name on it.

These are pretty damn nice hi powers made from FEG kits , assembly, machining, finished in the USA. I like the sight cuts, Novak 1911 lo mount, wich gives a ton of options. I also like the feg thumb safety, in my view other then a custom Yost, Garthwaite etc its the best hi power safety.

Will replace the rear sight with a Novak wide notch, have a spare banging around the parts box somewhere. Probably leave the big dot front sight for now. Also replace hammer/sear with CS/EGW. Of course the mag safety gotta go. Probably keep it in that mode, for a while anyway.

Its a shame these weren't a commercial success, or timing wasn't different, as right now they could sell all they make.

A few quick pics.

20200929_155715.jpg 20200929_155759.jpg

salelcid, Rick McC., Doc45 and 11 others like this.
  2. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I have one that I picked up several years ago, lots fo gun for the money. All I've done is remove the mag disconnect, install a C&S 'No Bite' hammer, and swap the grips for some Novedrex thin grips. Great shooting, reliable piece with a very clean and crisp 5lb trigger.

[​IMG]

Rick McC., Doc45, switchback and 6 others like this.

3. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Nice find! Other than the Charles Daly billboard, that's a great looking gun and ticks about every box. What's the trigger like?

I just picked up a beater FEG to send to APW Cogan.

4. Lamey

Dec 19, 2019

Trigger is garbage, but easily fixable. Every FEG ive worked on benefits greatly just from mag safety removal, much more then the FN guns seem to.
    This one will get an EGW sear and CS hammer anyway.

5. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    The project failed because they originally had Dan Wesson assemble the guns. They then changed to Magnum Research who then hamstrung them. They started plans to sell the same pistol for less than they were charging Charles Daly for the assembly. At the same time Charles Daly was having other financial problems so they pulled the plug.

In today's market they would do pretty well I think. I mean the Turkish Tias clones are all sold out. Good pickup! The Craig Spegel designed Uncle Mikes grips are worth $80 -$100 on Ebay.

switchback, Lamey and NIU2009 like this.
  6. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I remember those. I couldn't get past the Ashley Express sights which I had already tried and not liked.
    My Favorite FEG was the one with the Mauser banner trademark. But it was a straight P35 and I did not want to get into sight and safety replacement on it, either.

Lamey likes this.
  7. Lamey

Dec 19, 2019
    Not a fan of the rear sight either but its literally a 5 minute fix with any 1911 novak cut.

8. Lamey

Dec 19, 2019

Yep i heard that story, and it made sense why you could puck them up new for 299. I could never figure that out until I heard that story.

If you can get past the fact its not an FN made pistola, they are great base guns with sight cuts already done.

In today's market they could sell all they could make at 600ish. Just poor business decisions and worse timing.

9. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    A lot of people like FEG clones. They are decent steel. My issue with them was always consistency. The machining and the finishing were always inconsistent pistol to pistol as I am sure you know.

It I could inspect one in person the way you bought this one I would consider it. These days I have enough that I do not feel the need to get a clone unless I found it super cheap.

For you they are perfect base guns. Clean them up and get a new, sights, sear and hammer in them and you can make some money for minimal effort while supplying a nice functional firearm at a fair price. I prefer them to the current Tias.

switchback and Lamey like this.
  10. Lamey

Dec 19, 2019

You are exactly right on the consistency of the FEG, or lack there of. I really like to have one in hand before I buy. The Charles Daly marketed guns seem to be more consistent, at least the few ive looked at were.

Looking forward to going threw this one and carrying daily.

11. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Nice grab. Congrats

Lamey likes this.
  12. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    I just won one for $460 and thought I did okay. Can't wait to get it - hopefully it will be my main "shooter" HP after a few small mods.

Doc45, Lamey, WVsig and 1 other person like this.
  13. Lamey

Dec 19, 2019

Yes I believe that's a good price for one excellent to new etc. I really like the fact they already come with a 1911 rear novak cut, and novak front cut.

I'm currently going through mine and overall very nice internally. Will post details later.

14. Lamey

Dec 19, 2019
    So I did some tweaking, straightened trigger, replaced the garbage hammer with an FN then reshaped, removed sharp edges on slide stop etc.

Also wanted to fit a Novak rear BUT.... the dovetail wasn't cut real tight so I'm sticking with the Express rear...... I did however completely reshape and cut a U notch.

Cut the hog nose bushing down as well, will reblue slide and rear sight soon.

20201013_140541.jpg 20201013_122637.jpg 20201017_132038.jpg 20201021_134535.jpg 20201021_134619.jpg

hpguru, NIU2009, Whiten and 2 others like this.
  15. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Looks great to me, I'd shoot and carry that. Well done. Really appreciate the straightened trigger and U-notch cut in the express sights

16. Lamey

Dec 19, 2019
    Thanks. I'm hoping im not hitting too low after cutting the U notch. If so will just weld some fitting tabs and fit the Novak.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted