1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I received LMS003 from Charyn Precision. I generally shy away from being an early adopter of anything, but upon considering the build tolerances, style, available options, and lack of current wait time, a Charyn Duty Grade started weighing really heavily on my mind. I ended up giving David a call and that sealed the deal, he is an awesome guy to chat with and his passion and excitement for his builds really shines through.

Obviously just having received the gun I haven't got to shoot it yet, I'm planning on getting it to the range on Saturday, but I figured I would share my initial impressions and update the post on Saturday. Right away a few things really shine through as positives.
1. The fit. This thing may as well be one piece of metal, there is no wobble, shake, or even nudge to be found. It is on a different level than anything else I have owned.

2. The optic plate. Now this one may be a little controversial because the design obviously mimics the Chambers RDSM, which I have said multiple times is the best 1911/2011 red dot mounting platform. The Charyn plate is in the same vein. The slight angling of the optic makes the presentation of the dot as good as it gets. The Charyn plate differs in the location of the BUIS, with his being a very thin sight behind the optic. It is well executed and seems adequately robust. I think this design will be of particular benefit to people who want to run an SRO and maintain the rear sight.

3. Beavertail blending, its perfect, this is how it is supposed to be done.

4. Trigger. It is a shade over 3lbs with a very short roll. Perfect take up, minimal over travel, everything I could want in a working gun trigger. Seriously excellent.

5. The relief cut under the slide stop ledge. It creates a big area for me to get my thumb under that ledge to lock the slide back. A seemingly small detail but one that plagues others in the 2011 market "looking at you Nighthawk". I have no idea why this isn't the industry standard with these widebodies, but Charyn does it right.

6. The mag release. The pad is angled the right way "opposite of the 10-8 mag release, but similar to how Ted Yost does it". Another strong preference of mine and makes it easier to press the button in a forward push instead of a hook and pull back.

7. Boresight Solutions stippled grip module. What can I say, being able to option my build with a tan Boresight grip module was a large part of the reason I purchased this gun. I think Ben is the best in the business and I am glad to have a 2011 with his work. Charyn really kills it in the grip module option end of things. You can have a standard gen 1 staccato grip, one stippled by Boresight or Payne Custom Stippling, or no apparently even spec your build with the gen 3 Staccato grips. I see this as a big win on his part.

8. Dawson Tactical Advantage Magwell. I think its a great and sensible choice and offers over insertion protection with the hoard of Gen 3 Staccato mags I have.

9. Kart barrel, because everything else is lesser.

10. Marvel Disconnector cut. Quite simply this should be the standard, even if for just what it does to the feel of a 1911/2011. I was sold on this feature after Brandon Buhler performed his mod on my Staccato P and made the gun feel better than my Atlas. On the Charyn it is even better because of the insane level of fit.

Now to address the Elephant in the room...
Yes, it looks an awful lot like a Chambers gun, and after ordering it I have heard quite a bit of drama regarding the fall out between David and Joe. I don't have a horse in that race but that is certainly something to be aware of. Regarding the similar appearance, the Charyn is a 2011, not a 2019 like Joe's guns. I can spot several small parts differences and design choice differences and compared to the WMG series, David offers quite a few customization options that aren't available otherwise. That of course is the luxury you get with a start up vs someone with an established track record and long wait list.

That's all I've got for now, I'll add more Saturday.
Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well my weekend plans got messed up so I decided it was better to go to the range this evening rather than possibly not make the range this weekend. So, how did the gun do.

Reliability: I put 250 rounds through the pistol and had zero malfunctions and all the mags "MBX and Staccato Gen 3" locked back every time. Boringly reliable, exactly how it should be.

Accuracy: I've been as critical as anyone about the need for ridiculous accuracy standards when I can only shoot a group by hand so tightly. Well, I found myself eating my words today. As dumb as it sounds, the bullets went exactly where the dot was when I broke the trigger. I shot all sorts of clover leafs inside of 15 yards, shot the best looking Pressburg No Fail drill of my life, and went 10 for 10 on a Dickens drill from 50 yards on 10" steel. I was geniunly impressed with the accuracy of this gun, and I've had some dueseys.

Speed: So I was pretty stoked with how the gun was running on the accuracy drills, but I wasn't getting the feeling it was going to be particularly fast. Heavy slide, bushing barrel, no comp or ports, no sub 2lbs trigger... Then I ran the plate rack... I was able to get going way quicker than expected with this one. It's not a comp gun, but it wasn't far off. My best 12 yard plate rack was a 2.3X which I was able to duplicate, faster than I've been able to get my modified Staccato P "2.4X" and just behind my best ever time with the Atlas Erebus at 2.2X.

Feel: Here is the thing about this gun, it is not an Atlas/Infinity/Akai/Etc. It's not a competition gun and it is not tuned like one. It has the feel of a high end custom government 9mm single stack from one of the greats. It has that great slide tracking feel and recoil impulse of my Yost or my Rogers, but built even tighter. It fills exactly the role and feel I wanted it to, giving me that classic feel but on a double stack frame with a red dot. And as I suspected on my single stacks, that combo turned out to be a quick shooting combo.

Then there is the Bob Marvel build method. To paraphrase what @bladeandbarrel so accurately wrote, it gives you tactical reliability and performance with bullseye accuracy. I've had hard fit guns before, and though that is one was to achieve a strict accuracy standard, I did not particularly enjoy them. Having the bushing stick, wasn't really my thing. With the Marvel method you get precision tolerances without the negatives "bushing stick, long mandatory break ins, unreliability".

Lastly before the pictures, I've said many times that I like both polymer grip 2011's and metal grip 2011's for different purposes and at different times. Today was a day I was glad to have the polymer grip. It was 100 Degrees in the bright Texas sun at the range and by the time I was done I could barely touch the slide of this gun but the grip remained cool and the wonderful texturing by Boresight Solutions kept the gun planted in my sweaty hands.
Wood Gun accessory Rectangle Metal Electric blue

Rectangle Wood Auto part Engineering Metal

Wood Gun accessory Trigger Gun barrel Rectangle

Sleeve Air gun Bag Gun accessory Metal

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Machine gun

Tool Bag Air gun Gun accessory Blade

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gun looks great. I'm really not a fan of how thin the rear sight is on the optic plate though.
It is actually pretty stout, more so than it looks in pictures. That was a concern I had as well prior to receiving it. It is also buried in a very protected position so it really would never be in harms way.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Thanks for the write up. What you say makes it hard not to want to get one. Personally, I haven’t looked at getting a Chambers because of all the hoops that you seemingly have to jump through to get on his list. I don’t mind waiting for something but my time is worth something and spending it trying to figure out how to get something currently in production is off putting to me. Now on to the gun itself, i absolutely love it from an aesthetic perspective. The described fit and finish is exactly what I would expect from a Chambers build. I am currently waiting on deciding on what my next 2011 will be. This just jumped on the list and maybe top of the list. I was waiting on Atlas to reoffer the Titan RDS 9mm but this may be the better option. I missed out on the Nemesis RDS which I regret but not enough to pay secondary market prices for. Would you consider this over the Titan RDS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the write up. What you say makes it hard not to want to get one. Personally, I haven’t looked at getting a Chambers because of all the hoops that you seemingly have to jump through to get on his list. I don’t mind waiting for something but my time is worth something and spending it trying to figure out how to get something currently in production is off putting to me. Now on to the gun itself, i absolutely love it from an aesthetic perspective. The described fit and finish is exactly what I would expect from a Chambers build. I am currently waiting on deciding on what my next 2011 will be. This just jumped on the list and maybe top of the list. I was waiting on Atlas to reoffer the Titan RDS 9mm but this may be the better option. I missed out on the Nemesis RDS which I regret but not enough to pay secondary market prices for. Would you consider this over the Titan RDS?

It is certainly a process getting a Chambers, I am still super excited for mine, but it has been over a three year quest now to now finally being close to getting one.

As for this or a RDS Titan, that is a tough one because I view them as completely different guns. I like both metal grip and polymer grip 2011s for different reasons and purposes. As many good things I have to say about Atlas, my Erebus is being replaced by my upcoming Infinity and a Staccato XC that I plan on putting an aluminum Phoenix Trinity grip on, and I really don't have any plans to purchase another Atlas. For that competition gun feeling and super light trigger, the Atlas is going to be the better pick, but the Charyn is undoubtedly the better built gun and should be an absolute workhorse for years to come. He offers a free rebuild at 35,000 rounds for the gun.

I'm interested to see how the Charyn works for me on the Pressburg No Fail drill and what kind of times I get on the plate rack this weekend.

I know in your case you have some very fast guns, so maybe a Charyn would be a good addition. Then again, the Titan will be a nice addition and Atlas's version of what you already know and like.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
It is certainly a process getting a Chambers, I am still super excited for mine, but it has been over a three year quest now to now finally being close to getting one.

As for this or a RDS Titan, that is a tough one because I view them as completely different guns. I like both metal grip and polymer grip 2011s for different reasons and purposes. As many good things I have to say about Atlas, my Erebus is being replaced by my upcoming Infinity and a Staccato XC that I plan on putting an aluminum Phoenix Trinity grip on, and I really don't have any plans to purchase another Atlas. For that competition gun feeling and super light trigger, the Atlas is going to be the better pick, but the Charyn is undoubtedly the better built gun and should be an absolute workhorse for years to come. He offers a free rebuild at 35,000 rounds for the gun.

I'm interested to see how the Charyn works for me on the Pressburg No Fail drill and what kind of times I get on the plate rack this weekend.

I know in your case you have some very fast guns, so maybe a Charyn would be a good addition. Then again, the Titan will be a nice addition and Atlas's version of what you already know and like.
You are right about the Titan being close to what I like. I certainly have a type :). But maybe it’s time to try something different. This certainly has me excited just by reading your thoughts. Now I am looking forward to your thoughts on how it shoots. The idea of the PT grip on the Staccato is nice. I like the PT grip very much. Mine is steel but that’s because I like heavy grips on my 2011s. I tend to shoot them faster but they are probably a bit slower on transitions.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are right about the Titan being close to what I like. I certainly have a type :). But maybe it’s time to try something different. This certainly has me excited just by reading your thoughts. Now I am looking forward to your thoughts on how it shoots. The idea of the PT grip on the Staccato is nice. I like the PT grip very much. Mine is steel but that’s because I like heavy grips on my 2011s. I tend to shoot them faster but they are probably a bit slower on transitions.

Yeah, I wanted to give the aluminum grip a try since the Infinity will still have a steel grip. I also usually go steel but find some transitions I am quicker with my polymer gripped 2011's with the only limitation being how aggressive the grip texture can get "compared to metal".

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Atlas flat out performs. Look forward to hearing how this one does. I like supporting start ups but when putting $5-6k in play, I like proven platforms and manufacturers.

@AJP, nice pick up. I’m sure it will fare a tad better than some recent DS launches.

·
Registered
275 Posts
@AJP Absolutely awesome looking shooter. Can’t wait to see how she performs on the range.

Glad to hear the builds have been tracking to the ETA as well! Fingers crossed, LMS #9 should be here end of Oct

Edit: Also that package was a complete steal!

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
3,955 Posts
Yes, it looks an awful lot like a Chambers gun,

Which means it looks AN AWFUL LOT LIKE A BOB MARVEL GUN.

To give full credit where it is due, Bob Marvel has been teaching and mentoring gunsmiths for years.
Some are more prominent than others but the style (and the "numbers", fit methods, materials) is HIS, not anyone else's. The Marvel shop manual is where all the "numbers" emanate from.

The powertool stippling, protected sight cuts, full front sight blend, threaded cone fit Kart barrels, flat crowns, "all the numbers", barrel leg fit, slip fit slide to frame etc etc etc etc. If you ask Bob Marvel, he will tell you this.

Some have now taken the proven "Marvel method" that Bob painstakingly developed through decades of testing, research and working closely with champion shooters and transferred that to tactical guns.
Some people learned his techniques by working in his shop as an apprentice. Some people took his NRA or private classes. Some folks work with Bob to teach classes. Some folks at Nighthawk were trained by Marvel and even have him on tap as a consultant.

Awesome! Marvel-inspired modern 1911's and 2011's. Win-Win.

I look forward to seeing more of Dave Charyn's work and guns. This is great news for people looking for a modern working gun with bullseye accuracy.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts