1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK since some have brought up (in my 9mm nightmare thread) that I use d cheap ammo and that caused a problem. the ammo I used wa s blazer brass and it ha s shot fine in every gun I have used it with until wednesday. (9mm nightmare). this batch doe s not work in THAT gun. every round shoots fine though .

I am asking for thos e who know(factually) what brands are good quality and consistently so? and WHY?( please divulge the caliber you are referring to as well)

Vista make s plenty of great ammo. BUT even federal produced some bad batches and has cause d me problems. some guns do not work well with some brands of ammo. sometimes the ammo is out of spec too. our platform can be finicky BUT it should not be if the guns were built right. Yet problems persist--ejectors,extractors, recoil spring # weights...all factor into reliability for guns. what does with ammo?

here is your chance to shine. tell us what you use (NO Reloads) for brand new brass cased fmj range ammo and what you know about it that makes it great

thanks

Reactions: isialk

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speer Lawman
love that stuff. it seems consistent always fires. 1911s seem to love it too.not easy to find though. I keep it on my shor t list with AE

·
Banned
3,637 Posts
brand new brass cased fmj range ammo
S&B 45acp has so far been a lot cleaner than WW or Remington range FMJ ammo.
With today's reloading componant cost per round, I could not load it for less $ & it's clean with 0 malfunctions so far. 750 rounds shot so far out of 1K rounds :).

·
We Are!
2,690 Posts
Your post mentions brass-cased, but I wanted to give a shout-out for Federal aluminum-cased in both 9mm and .45 ACP - I’ve run untold thousands of rounds of this ammo through an assortment of guns both cheap and not-so-cheap with success.

This ammo used to be one of my main reasons for shopping at Wal-Mart. With their recent policy-change, Target Sports USA has become my new source.

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,335 Posts
.45ACP, Geco 230gr FMJ-a little on the dirty side, runs very well. S&B 230gr FMJ-cleaner than Geco, runs very well. Speer Lawman 230gr FMJ- cleanest of the three, runs as well if not better than the others. Never a mis-fire with any of the above.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Reactions: isialk and boatdoc

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Back when I shot factory ammo S&B and federal were great! 9&45

Remington was probably the worst, I’d buy bulk boxes of 509/1,000 and there were always duds and rounds that were noticeably lighter in power.

I’ll add back in the day when I shot factory I bought what was cheapest only exception being that it had to be brass cased and my guns shot it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: WVsig and boatdoc

·
Dremel jockey
4,017 Posts
I burn through a fair amount of cheap 9x19.
Various handguns, couple of sbr's/smg's.
I've been using Wolf 115gr Polyformance for years.
Sure, I've had a few malfs but not many and not ammo related.
Last case of 1000 I bought from TargetSportsUsa.com.
Free shipping, I was not charged tax, $140.00 total I think.
Only hitch is it is not the Polyformance but the Performance.
The poly was 'plastic' coated, the perf is lacquered I think.
Seems the poly is no longer available.
No probs yet, but I'm only a hunnerd rds deep into that case.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your post mentions brass-cased, but I wanted to give a shout-out for Federal aluminum-cased in both 9mm and .45 ACP - I’ve run untold thousands of rounds of this ammo through an assortment of guns both cheap and not-so-cheap with success.

This ammo used to be one of my main reasons for shopping at Wal-Mart. With their recent policy-change, Target Sports USA has become my new source.
target sports rocks. a prime membership is worth it

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These guys are a great source for 45 and 9mm ammo.

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/hand...30&search_text=&per_row=20&sortBy=8&mode=list

Right now you can get 1000 of S&B for $250+ shipping. Fiocchi at the same price. They also get Geco in 45 ACP from time to time. Even with shipping they come out lower than Targetsports a lot of the time. They also offer a membership which give you free shipping for $79.
they are good.shipping is low cost comparatively speaking BUT Target sports is a better deal. I pay a bit more for ammo but no shipping. I live in CT so I am stuck with the taxes. still a win-win

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
For the range I’ll generally go cheap as I can get. I’ve had good performance from Fiocchi, S&B, and Blazer Brass. All new brass, fmj, 115 in nine, 230 in 45. I’m currently thinking of buying 1000 bulk 9 from PSA. They’ve been advertising it for quite awhile now. $174.99 shipped. It’s CCI which I’ve only used in my wife’s little PMR-30 in 22 WMR. Not sure if I should be but I’m a little nervous about the bulk aspect. I don’t want to inadvertently push one into the wrong mag. I guess I just need to hoard some plastic trays for the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts

I actually had some Federal aluminum case 9mm where the bullets were so loose you could pull several out with your fingers. I discovered it because one actually FELL out of a mag (top round). About 4 or 5 out of a box of 50. Could have been disastrous had it dropped into the chamber or barrel.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I’m currently thinking of buying 1000 bulk 9 from PSA. They’ve been advertising it for quite awhile now. $174.99 shipped.
I’ve bought bulk from PSA before with free shipping however they charge sales tax. I prefer sgammo.com. It comes out cheaper paying their shipping charges as they don’t charge tax. This was about 6 weeks ago.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts