Dan Wesson Check-Mate magazines .45ACP 8-rd low-profile

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot, Oct 26, 2018.

1. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    Thanks to @ZoidMeister and this Wilson mags thread I learned that Check-Mate has low-profile, 8-round magazines for the .45 FS 1911, so a couple of weeks ago I ordered four of the stainless, hybrid magazines.

I got them this week. Check-Mate sent me five rather than four - and it was noted as "+1 Free" on the packing slip so not a mistake - so I paid right at $25 ea for them including shipping. Today I went to the range and ran 3 full cycles through all five magazines - 120 rds - in my V-Bob. Everything worked as expected. No failures to feed, no failures to lock back, no malfunctions of any type.

I'll probably repeat this test once, maybe twice, more before I commit to using the mags for EDC but so far they seem to work just fine.

[Edited for spelling and to add:] I've been wanting 8-rounders with the flat bottom plate for EDC, but had only found 7-rounders - which work fine - to date. I like the idea of the extra round for EDC, so once I'm comfortable with the reliability of the mags using my gun/ammo combo I'll be happy to have these. I'll post again at the conclusion of my testing. [/End edit]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I've also had good success with my flush fit 8 round checkmate mags as well.

I'm told that Checkmate is the current manufacturer of Kimber mags. I have both, and they look identical.

3. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I got a Checkmate 9mm mag. with my wife's Kimber Diamond Ultra and it wouldn't lock the slide out. They sent me 2 Kimber mags. that worked fine. My guess is they are made at the same place, just different stamped base pads and I just happened to get a bad one.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    bananadance.gif

Checkmate hybrids are da bomb . . . . .

5. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    They learned the hard way when th hey did their first 3 contract runs for USGI 1911A1 mags during NAM. Floor plates used to blow out and seams cracked. Aberdeen sent one of theirs to Checkmate to find out why. I know the guy they sent and we laughed, a whole bunch of those mags made it out as surplus and I had 2 whose bottoms went when loaded. They were also the primary M14 mag producers for the military M14s used in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Mikey421 and Mike A like this.
  6. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    I have had good luck with Check Mate M14 mags Have not tried the 1911 8 rounders yet. I have CMC stainless & blue 8 round mags with metal followers & floor plates, good mags so far.

7. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Only trick with the Checkmate M14 mags is to keep your OAL or COAL to 2.80. With USGI you can seat to 2.83 or the length of M118 and currently Lake City Long Range.

Mike A likes this.
  8. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    BTW I did a set of classic military magazine tests on Checkmate for a local agency with the help of Brownells. Checkmate mags passed with flying colors.

9. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    BTW guys, I think I still have pictures of the M14 mag tests. Let me know if you want to see them

10. Mikey421

Mikey421 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2014
    I just went to the website and it says Canada is blacklisted. They won’t open their website to me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    I would like to see them Bob. I did not know about the OAL issue concerning CM ver. USGI M14 Mags thanks for the info.

12. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    The ones that came with the cbob are money. I'd love to get some more.

13. Moad

Moad Edge of Glory

Sep 4, 2011
    I feel your frustration.....I haven't been able to access their web-site for over two years, even after calling them twice as their message indicates. They are doing you a favor, while they make a great mag, they are the worst manufacturer of mags to buy direct from.

14. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    You can buy CM mags from 44mag.com

15. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    And Brownells.com

16. Moad

Moad Edge of Glory

Sep 4, 2011
    Ed Brown has been my drug choice of late......Check-Mate manufactures Ed Brown magazines......LOL

ZoidMeister likes this.
  17. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    My first stop for magazines. He sometimes has good quantities of Checkmates in stock. Has lots of hard to find, weird, and estoeric magazines too.

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot and Moad like this.
  18. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Wow(!).... I don’t see how that guy keeps up with all the magazine capacity limitations (down to, even the local city level). What a friggin’ nightmare.... helluva way to have to do business. But I suppose if you’re in the “mail order” businesses, that’s just your lot in life.

19. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Following this - mucho interested in the combo of 8-round capacity and flush-fit.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  20. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    So far, so good. I ran another 120 rounds (3 cycles through 5 mags) on Saturday, including some fairly rapid fire.

Ammo was 50 rds of Sig V-Crown 230gr randomly mixed with 15 rds of Speer LE GDHP and 15 rds of Hornady Critical Defense.

The final 40 rounds was S&B 230gr ball ammo. I did have one malfunction - a three-point jam on the last round in one mag - with the ball ammo. Not sure why. It did not repeat. Sometimes stuff just happens. That’s the first malfunction in 1,500 rounds.

So far that’s 240 rounds total thru the 5 Check-Mate mags (6 full cycles each) with half 230gr ball and half 230gr HP of various name-brand defensive ammo. 1 malfunction.

I intend to run this one more time - another 120 rds - using Federal HST 230gr for about 60 rds plus 60 rds of ball ammo - but it may be a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted