Checkered Frontstrap

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by paid4c4, Feb 19, 2012.

1. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    Could someone give a quick description on ow the front strap is checkered. If it isn't done with a mill is it a stamp? Of file? Or...?
    Bill

2. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Most of the purists will say file it. Some use a mill. If I were to try it, I'd use a file.

3. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    Hand cut checkering is done by file. Machine cut checkering is done by mill.

4. bw210

bw210 Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
  5. paid4c4

Sep 26, 2011
    I guess I need to see the filling while being done. I just can't imagine how you keep the lines straight, I'm afraid mine would like a worm track.
    Bill

6. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Buy a checkering file and a piece of pipe. Pipe is soft so it's a bit easier than a frame. If you have good luck with the pipe than the frame should go well. If the pipe doesn't go well throw it away and sell the file.

8. paid4c4

Sep 26, 2011
    Jerry, I like your advice it's to the point and without foolishness, "if the pipe doesn't go well throw it away and sell the file."
    Which will be easiest 20, 25 or 30?
    Bill

9. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    :rofl:

10. Drgracin72

Drgracin72 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    anyone have a file i can buy? lol. i think i am going to give the checkering a go on my own!

11. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Member

Sep 16, 2011
    I have only done 30 LPI. My thinking was that since I've had carpal tunnel syndrome operations in both hands I didn't want to remove a ton of material. The other thought was that since you aren't going too deep with 30 LPI I could always remove it with a belt sander :)

The downside of 30 LPI is you're going to go blind. It almost has to be done with magnification. Also when I think about it you probably are removing just as much metal since you have to cut more lines.

I would suggest 25 LPI as a good compromise. You can see what you are going and it's not as aggressive as 20 LPI. Maybe you should handle some guns with various checkering as see what appeals to you. One thing to remember is the larger the diamonds the more obvious the mistake. I have a couple of very small mistakes on my 30 LPI but I'd have to point them out to you. When I've shown the small mistakes to some friends they call me crazy (a realistic appraisal) and they also conclude I have OCD which is true.

There is a thread a little bit down that talks about checkering. You can see my latest attempt there as well as others works.

BTW I've done allot of wood checkering and this is far more demanding.

Here is a link to the thread.. http://www.1911addicts.com/showthre...d-my-front-strap.-A-bit-of-a-chore-to-be-sure!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  12. Brad

Brad Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I've wanted to try this, but I went to gunsmith school and couldn't get the hang of checkering a stock at all. So what's a good place to have it done that won't take forever?

13. bw210

bw210 Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I sent my EMP to SACS after a few minor tweaks with some warranty work done. I was given 8-10 weeks minimum for turnaround plus warranty work time... and this was without refinishing. I figured I could gather the funds in that time frame and had more work planed. Did front 20 lpi checkering, undercut and replace MSH with a non-ILS matching 20lpi for starters. Got a call Friday that my EMP was done. Ran out of money, so I told them to refinish the frame And plan on paying this week. Should have by the weekend or Monday. That was less than 4 weeks after the custom shop received the gun and work order. Total spent was $400 including return shipping.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted