1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Aim Small Miss Small
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering if y'all know of any companies that do a good job of checkering the frontstrap of the 1911s? I have a kimber warrior that I want to have the grip checkered. Somewhat aggressive, 30LPI or so. I would like to do this eventually, not too soon. Just thinking out loud. Also been kicking around the idea of redoing my gun in Cerakote HK Black. Dunno....maybe

Anybody have any ideas. I may just do the griptape instead :lol:

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I've been looking at machine checkering too. Something to keep in mind is matching the front strap to the checkering on the MSH.

·
It WAS Quack
1,586 Posts
SACS, or a lot of smiths will be able to do it. You could also do something like golfballs, scallops, etc. if you want something different. Most smith's will also send the pistol out to be refinished. To my knowledge, none of them handle all of the finishes, so your best bet with Cerakote is to send it to Business End Customs or send it somewhere you want.

·
Aim Small Miss Small
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SACS, or a lot of smiths will be able to do it. You could also do something like golfballs, scallops, etc. if you want something different. Most smith's will also send the pistol out to be refinished. To my knowledge, none of them handle all of the finishes, so your best bet with Cerakote is to send it to Business End Customs or send it somewhere you want.
Business End Customs? I'm not familiar with them

EDIT: Just checked them out, looks pretty good. Do they do checkering ?

·
Registered
607 Posts
30 lpi is not very aggressive, I would recommend 20 or 25 lpi like someone else said, or match your mainspring housing. After looking for Kimber replacement mainspring housings, it looks like it is checkered at 20 lpi. I was under the impression that the Kimpro coating on the Warriors is pretty decent, what about it is not to your liking?

·
Aim Small Miss Small
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
30 lpi is not very aggressive, I would recommend 20 or 25 lpi like someone else said, or match your mainspring housing. After looking for Kimber replacement mainspring housings, it looks like it is checkered at 20 lpi. I was under the impression that the Kimpro coating on the Warriors is pretty decent, what about it is not to your liking?
Yeah I don't know what I was thinking with 30LPI, lol

Nothing is wrong with Kimpro coating just thinking if it needs to be refinished why not cerakote

·
Schütze
2,678 Posts
The first one I had done in 25lpi and I like it a lot. Should be about great for a carry pistol. The second I had done in 20lpi and I'm liking it even better. These are both range pistols and if I were doing another I would go with 20lpi. I do like both back and frontstraps to match.. Ron

·
Schütze
2,678 Posts
Nice points... Ron

PS: I never had one of my pistols to anyone that's wearing a ring.. LOL

·
What No Delete Button?
348 Posts
Had my emp machined checkered at 30lpi at SA Custom Shop. The 30lpi is a bit tame if you're needing something a little more aggressive I'd recommend 20-25lpi. SA does a pretty good job too :thumb:

·
Sharpening Ockham's Razor
1,990 Posts
Springfield Armory Custom Shop usually gets high marks for machine-cut checkering.

Personally, I'm a fan of wider but flatter checkering.

30 lpi feels like flypaper to me. It's harder for me to make slight adjustments to my grip, as it's quite tacky.

A lot of folks like 20 or 25 lpi. They're good compromises.

I really like the 15 lpi on mine; the diamonds are softened noticeably. It's more like grenade-type checkering rather than file-like diamonds.

Andy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts