close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Checkmate Magazines

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Combat Commander, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Combat Commander

Combat Commander Custom Kydex

Sep 19, 2011
    I've got a chance to get some cheap, are they any good?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011

3. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I particularly like the new 8-round extended "hybrid" magazines. You've seen them as factory magazines for some Dan Wesson guns, and I believe the Ruger 8-round magazine is this as well. Tom Vieweg's patented follower is steel, with a dimple and a decent skirt to prevent the follower from jumping out as easily. There's a fellow on here, Jon I think his name is, who has been doing some long-term tests with them.

Andy

4. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I have them, and they're great.

5. Combat Commander

Sep 19, 2011
    Good to hear guys, now I just have to figure out what to do with 100 of them.

6. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I could help with that...

7. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
  8. Combat Commander

Sep 19, 2011
    I may need some help I'm going to ask Trent if a group buy is Ok.

9. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm down for some.

What are the available sizes: standard and/or officer?

Calibers: 9mm/38Super, 45ACP, others?

10. deadguy

deadguy Tom Petty Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I need officers and full size if available.

11. JeffD

JeffD New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Full size .45 ACP please

12. Combat Commander

Sep 19, 2011
    Trent, said its Ok I'll have a price sheet soon.
    All of there magazine will be available I will need model # from you.

13. JeffD

JeffD New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    How do you want us to give you our order? PM or post in this thread?

14. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I need 9mm and .38 super mags

15. Combat Commander

Sep 19, 2011
    I can't upload the price sheet it is in Excel but I can email it to you guys.

I was trying to get Distributor prices but its a no go I would need 10K per year, FFL, and Tax ID.

Group Buy Price was the best they can do. It might not be all that great but it's better than Retail.

16. 11101110111

11101110111 New Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Anything happening with this, or did I miss out?

17. JonInWA

JonInWA New Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I'm the "Jon" that Andy was referring to. For the past several years, our local IDPA has been field-testing magazines for Check-Mate, which over time has led to them sponsoring 6 of us. We've also done several large group buys with Check-Mate; users have been very pleased with them, and any hiccups encountered (which have been rare) have been very expeditiously handled by Check-Mate under their lifetime warranty.

While most of the "Team" has has overwhelmingly preferred to go with the Hybrid Feed Lip/ 8 Round Extended Tube magazines as their magazine of choice, I've also extensively tested their welded baseplate varient, and the proprietiary magazine that they make for CerTac/P3LLC, which is the magazine supplied to the Connecticut State Police SWAT, and their dry-film magazines what are the magazines provided to the DoD for the Beretta M9.

Over time, we've made a number of observations and product improvement suggestions, virtually all of which were incorporated into production (and very quickly,at that).

The main features of the Check-Mate Hybrid magazines are the splayed feed lips, which provide a more controlled release from the magazine into the chamber (combined with the magazines' fully skirted and dimpled metal follower and sturdy tube construction). The Extended Tube Hybrids also feature a removable polymer basepad, which is retained by an internal (and also removable) inner floorplate with a protruding metal stud that fits into a hole in the polmer basepad. The inner floorplate itself fits into a track in the magazine tube, so if the polymer basepad becomes detached, you do not experience a "speed unload."

The Hybrid feedlips really do work providing a very smooth and controlled transition from magazine to chamber. However, due to the aggressive feedlip splay, if they're carried loose in a pocket, the top round does tend to work its way free of the magazine (if the magazine is carried in a pouch/case {or more importantly, when in the gun} this does not occur).

I've also had excellent results with the 8 round Hybrid welded baseplate versions. I particularly prefer this varient for my administratively loaded carry magazine, in that they slightly diminish the receiver profile (compared to the extended polymer basepads of the extended tube varient) when loaded in the gun. Any welded baseplate magazines that I carry as reload magazines I affix a medium length screw-on polymer basepad, which assures a more secure reload, particularly when performed during stress (and if I'm in a situation where reloading is involved, I'm no longer very concerned over the concealability profile very much). The welded baseplate magazines can also be useful in preventing over-insertions in guns featuring a knife-edged beveled inner frontstrap, which in certain examples/conditions was found to wedge itself behind the toe of the Extended Tube magazine polymer basepad (but this issues seems to have been decisively dealt with by production improvements to the polymer basepad and the retention method used by Check-Mate).

The CerTac magazines are excellent; Christopher Prevost, owner of P3LLC worked hand-in-hand with Check-Mate is their specifications and production. Basically, they feature what I calll a "semi-hybrid " feedlip profile, significantly less radical than the Hybrid profile. It works well, and has a larger feedlip grasping interface with the topmost cartridge, so the cartridge is less likely to work its way out of the magazine when carried in a pocket, or when a full or partially full magazine is ejected on a hard surface. The tubes are additionally strengthened, and the cartridge counting visibility holes and numbers are somewhat different from the other Check-Mate magazines.

I've used both the Hybrid Extended Tube and Hybrid welded baseplate magazines in my Nighthawk Talon II, and primarily use the CerTac magazines in my SIGARMS GSR XO (although for my initial carry magazine, I generally use a Hybrid flush welded baseplate magazine in it as discussed above).

I've also extensively used and tested their 9mm dry-film magazines for the Beretta 92/M9. Due to their hardened steel baseplate, construction quality, and corrosion resistance, along with a slightly lower profile due to the flat baseplate (compared to the Beretta/MDS baseplates) these are actually my magazine of both preference and choice for my Beretta 92D, which this year saw extensive use in IDPA matches from March through our State match in August; the gun, with these magazines, OEM Trijicon nightsights, and a set of ultra-thin Trausch TJ92 grips, and a Wolff Gunsprings trigger conversion unit triggerspring is currently my nightstand gun of choice-the gun as equipped was used for concealed carry from March-August in addition to its IDPA match use.

I hope this information is helpful-please feel free to query me further if any of you have more questions.

Best, Jon

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  18. skud_dusty

skud_dusty New Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Looking online, the best deal I've found on Check-Mate mags seems to be here:

http://www.44mag.com/product/check_mate_1911_magazine_7_blued/1911_

So far, the factory CM mags seems to be the only thing that's worked 100% in my Sig 1911. With the 8 round polymer baseplate mags, can you safely use them with the poly base removed? I'm thinking on pulling off the 2 I have so they carry better, but not if it's going to sacrifice durability/reliability.

19. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Yep.. I pulled of the baseplate and slid on some extra Kimber baseplates.. They're now identical... Ron

20. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I have two and they work flawlessly:thumb:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted