Chen SI "Shooter Installed" Magwell

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by tdiddi, Dec 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tdiddi

tdiddi Member

Sep 16, 2018
    rod442, azpoolguy, Mikey421 and 3 others like this.
  2. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    That’s a nice profile. I dig it!

WHEELS and tdiddi like this.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
  4. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Stan was talking about it on another site, and it sounds like a good part.

I'm sure we'll see some reviews/comments soon. :)

5. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    wallet feels lighter already. I like chen magwells, especially the welded model that adds no additional length. But this is also cool.

Mr. Knight and Mikey421 like this.
  6. tdiddi

tdiddi Member

Sep 16, 2018
    I ordered one for my Springfield. Will post pics after install.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  7. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Neat design, I ordered one last night to try on my Colt Competition.

8. Mikey421

Mikey421 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2014
    I have an NHC magwell on my 1911. It is blued and has a checkered MSH. But the only difference I see here is the manufacturer. Quality will be near comparable. It’s your call, Stan’s offering is about par dollar wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Mikey421

Mikey421 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2014
    [​IMG] my NHC installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WC145, Kip, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.
  10. mikes250r

mikes250r Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I like it. It’s less $$ than a EB.

Mikey421 likes this.
  11. og556

og556 Member

Nov 11, 2013
    I have one on the way. It will be going on my blued 9mm Valor.

rod442 and Mikey421 like this.
  12. Herringbone

Herringbone Member

Jan 28, 2018
    I purchased one

Mikey421 likes this.
  13. hamholfarm

hamholfarm 1911Addicted-> Avoiding Intervention

May 10, 2014
    Blued is out of stock!

14. Herringbone

Herringbone Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Stan did say quantities were limited, I ordered blued yesterday

15. Herringbone

Herringbone Member

Jan 28, 2018
    If anyone ordered a Blued Stan Chen SI Magwell and later changed their mind, let me know, I'll take it off your hands.

16. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    My stainless version arrived yesterday with a bag of peanut M&Ms, a couple of stickers, and a personalized and signed thank you from Stan Chen. The packaging that the part came in is very professional and an interesting change from the zip lock bags other companies use. I'll be installing it in my Colt Competition today and will follow this up with pics and an impression of fit and finish and ease of installation.

17. mikes250r

mikes250r Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Hurry up, I want to see it!

18. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    I'm trying but I'm driving home from work in a snow storm and it's really slowing me down.

Mikey421 likes this.
  19. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    Alright, I made it home, did chores, and sat down to swap out the stainless checkered EGW MSH that I'd installed in my Colt Competition (to replace the serrated polymer MSH it came with) with my new Stan Chen "SI" magwell. Installation was super easy since you're just swapping MSHs, the difference being that the Chen unit has the integral magwell. The fit is amazingly good for an out of the package part. I had some concerns that the angle of the funnel wouldn't match up or that there would be a gap between the bottom of the grip frame and the magwell but it turned out that I had nothing to worry about. The only bit of a fitment issue is that the left side magwell tine doesn't line up as closely to the opening in the frame as the right. I'm pretty sure the notch in the frame is probably off ever so slightly, rather than the magwell, and the difference is miniscule, you have to be looking for it to see it. The inside edge of the Chen magwell lines up just about perfectly with the factory bevels in the frame and mag insertion is fast and smooth from any angle. You can be pretty sloppy with your mag insertion and it still slips right in from angles that would normally hang the mag up on the frame. The checkering is nice and sharp and grippy and the rounded butt looks good and makes it comfortable in the hand. Of course, you need to use mags with some kind of a bumper so it will lock in positively, the magwell is deep enough that a flush fit mag has to be pushed in with your thumb that last little bit to get it to latch.

So, IMO, the new Chen SI Magwell is a winner. It's easy to install, fits great, and works like it should. Also, it's not a big, obtrusive eyesore hanging off your gun, it looks good and is sleeker looking than many other magwells out there. I'm not really a big magwell fan because of the size and appearance of so many of them but this one is pleasing to the eye and blends with the gun nicely. I bought this Colt as a general fun/beater/competition gun that I don't have to worry about and the Chen magwell compliments it's intended use well. I don't know what the regular price will be but the introductory sale price was $129.99 plus $11 S&H for a total of $140.99 and I think it is well worth it, especially in comparison to the magwells I've removed from different 1911s I've bought over the years.

Oh, there is one negative and that is cosmetic. You can see in the pics that there are two little rub marks on each side of the magwell, it appears that those came from bouncing around in it's plastic package. No big deal to me as it's going to get marked up anyway but if you're really picky about that sort of thing or if the blued versions are getting some of the bluing rubbed off from it that could be an issue for you.

The obligatory pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike Meints, Dub, gaijin and 11 others like this.
  20. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    I only have a couple of sets of grips that are "magwell cut" and these VZs looked/felt the best. The stags don't work appearance wise because they are beveled and notched for the MSH pin.
    And, pardon the grip tape. I'll probably get it checkered eventually but for now the tape does the job, even if it looks like sh!t.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dub, 1911_Chad, gaijin and 9 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted