Chinese SKS and DPMS AR-15 value

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by DSTallguy, Oct 27, 2018.

1. DSTallguy

DSTallguy Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 13, 2017
    My FIL has decided to sell 2 rifles to buy a new Dillon RL550C and reloading extras.

Factory DPMS Oracle 223/5.56 with for real 50 rounds through it. Burris 3x9 green/red illuminated reticle scope. A couple mags too. Very clean and excellent condition.

Second is a Chinese SKS with original bayonet and original 1x (I think) scope. Has original wood front and aftermarket synthetic folding stock. Several mags too.

I have NO idea about the SKS.
    I’m knowledgeable on pistols but know next to nothing on the rifles (value wise).
    Trying to see if anyone has info on a range of values these might bring.

2. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    DPMS with scope ~$450

3. Mr. B

Mr. B VFW - Life Member

May 10, 2016
    How many digits in the SKS serial number? The scope was an add on along with the folding stock. Nothing to a collector unless he has the stock and it has a low digit serial number. To the average Joe, about 350-400, depending where you live and availability.

4. RazorBurn

RazorBurn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    DPMS is a 400 dollar AR if you get lucky in the current deflated AR market. SKS should bring 350 bucks. IMHO 400 would be a serious push on the SKS. I see a lot of SKS's at local pawn shops not moving at 375 or so.

5. DSTallguy

DSTallguy Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 13, 2017
    8 numbers in the SKS serial number starting with 122

6. The War Wagon

The War Wagon Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2018
    I remember buying my first SKS in early '91, and I'd JUST missed the boat on the $69 ones - they'd just gone UP to $79! And I'm thinking, "$79 for THIS chunka ****?!?!" :o.o:

I shoulda bought a HUNDRED of 'em - WHEN you can find 'em, I see 'em going for $400 - $450 around here... :eek:

Glock2740 and BennyAdeline like this.
  7. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    Man, they really shot it in value! It’s a true appraisal of their worth though since they are great carbines. Glad I got mine when they were cheap.

8. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Yeah, I remember when they would be stacked in barrels for dirt cheap.
    I was about the only one of my running buddies that didn’t buy one. I couldn’t stomach the ugly bastages.
    But looking back, I wish j would’ve bought a few barrels full. :bag: :roflmaro:

Personally, I’d go with the AR. It’s a decent shooter and fun cheap gun.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted