Choice of 9mm & .45 ammo

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by BCD 45, Mar 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Hey guys,

I'm going to buy 1000 or 2000 rounds of hardball ammo, most likely a 1000 of each caliber. I'm not rich but if money is not a concern, what would you buy for break-in and just range shooting in your 1911's? I want to buy the best and most reliable ammo possible.

I do already have 600 rounds of Winchester 124 grain Nato 9mm ammo that I've had awhile. Your suggestions will be appreciated, thank you.

2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    For 45 I've had good luck with Federal RTP range, target, practice. I have never had a problem with Blazer Brass or Winchester White box either. Same for 9. Buying by the case is the cheapest route short of handloading, although it is a chunk of change up front.

BR549er likes this.

3. BR549er

BR549er Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2018
    See:
    https://www.sgammo.com/

I especially like the Prvi Partisan 124 grain 9MM. My Dan Wessons and Colt 9MM eat it up with aplomb.

.45 I'll buy whatever brass case range stuff sgammo has, then throw it in rotation for reloading. I'll second Old Sea Dragon's post, especially the Blazer Brass.

gps man and DWdude like this.
  4. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Easy, Federal American Eagle from Targetsports, frees shipping ;)

5. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Remmington UMC, American Eagle, Blazer, PMC, and Fiocci have all worked well enough for me as practice ammo.

I stopped buying Winchester white box ammo after finding mangled cases and duds in some boxes.

I buy my ammo from Targetsportsusa. Shipping is free when you either buy 1000 round cases or you purchase a membership. If you buy a membership, you also get wholesale pricing on all ammo.

6. Otherside

Otherside Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Its range and break in ammo. I dont think you need to break the bank with high end expensive ammo. I think you will find different brands and bullet weights will each shoot differently in your pistols. I would buy some single boxes of different brands to try and then you can decide for yourself. Look at the reviews before you buy.

BigJimP likes this.
  7. BR549er

BR549er Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2018
    DWdude likes this.
  8. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Check Cabela's. They were selling Herter's brass case 230gr ball .45ACP cheap with free shipping not long ago, it was something like $127 a case of 500rds. I bought three cases, seems like decent rage ammo.

There's a ton of deals out there on brass case 9mm around $80 a case of 500rds, any of them are good for range work.
    https://gun.deals/category/ammo

9. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Federal, Blazer brass, Magtech - would all be fine in my view / they are all readily available at good prices in my area ....just buy it in case lots... and I would shoot it in 115gr... / there is probably someone in your area retailing ammo at a good price / seems like my buddies that don't reload are always finding a good deal somewhere....

I would stay away from reloads ..(unless they are your own).

boatdoc and WC145 like this.
  10. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    This came out a couple of days ago. Good stuff. Especially OPA!

Gary1911A1, gps man and BR549er like this.
  11. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    American eagle for 45. Have had great luck with Speer lawman 124 for 9mm and blazer brass 124.

boatdoc, Glock2740 and Capthobo like this.
  12. Renegade4006

Renegade4006 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2018
    On 9mm I really like the Winchester 124 grain NATO that you mention having in your inventory. Shoots clean and I've been very happy with what I have used. I try to stay with 124 grain anymore. I've also been very pleased with Sellier & Bellot. Also PPU.

On 45 I again like Sellier & Bellot. Also PPU again. Recently broke in a Les Baer using American Eagle and had no issues. Check the factory specs on brands and you will find some differences in rated feet per second and muzzle velocities. It is my uneducated opinion that American Eagle is recommended for break-in by certain manufacturers due to its rated specs. I also seem to recall reading in a Wilson Combat manual that American Eagle had a consistent overall length.

As others have mentioned SGAmmo is a good place to shop. I've also purchased from Palmetto State Armory and Sportsmans Guide (when I had a membership). Haven't tried Targetsports yet but sounds like I need to check it out.

boatdoc likes this.
  13. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I have a 'good' supply of 556 and 45.
    About the only ammo I buy is 9x19 or 38super.
    9x19 I buy by the case, so the free shipping and no tax from TargetSports makes them the cheapest for me.
    38super I buy maybe only a few hundred rounds at a time, so I figure in shipping costs and usually use SGammo.
    Adjusting for inflation, ammo is cheaper now than in the previous 30 years!
    Stack it tall and stack it deep!

14. jfrey

jfrey Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 10, 2012
    Discovered TargetSportsUSA about a month ago when I was looking for some reasonably priced 38 Super ammo(that stuff ain't cheap no matter how you buy it). I figured I was reloading 9mm for about 13 cents a round and my son found Blazer brass cased ammo the other night for $169.00/thousand rounds, with a dollar a box rebate. For $19.00 a 1000 difference it almost doesn't pay to reload.
    I always got good results from PMC in .45ACP until I started reloading for it.

boatdoc likes this.
  15. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Thank all of you. I've been using Target Sports for the last couple of years and have bought a lot from SGAMMO also.

Being a 1911 newbie, I just didn't know if the 1911 functioned better with one brand or another and the same for bullet weight. Thanks ya'll.

Jim D

boatdoc likes this.
  16. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Ammoseek.com
    :thumbs:

boatdoc and Busa Dave like this.
  17. FNFAN

FNFAN Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 15, 2013
    I go with GECO whenever possible and S&B as an alternate. GECO's uniformity and quality control are awesome.

18. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    What grain 9mm ammo do ya'll prefer to break in a new 1911? I don't want to shoot 115's if I can help it.

Jim D

boatdoc likes this.
  19. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    listen to this gentleman. he is spot on. I would add that Sellier and beloit makes quality ammo as well

B81 likes this.
  20. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    124 gr fmj or 147 gr fmj works just fine for break in. then you can shoot 115 gr too if you wish

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted