1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moderator you can take this off, it was just too fun not to post.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Those Wright engines are a pain in the rear end to work on. In the early 70s, Jimmy Brucker (Cars of the Stars museum) had an M-3 with one (that we got running) and an M4A1 which we gave up on. $250,000 is inexpensive for the Sherman's. And they're like horses, cheapest thing to do with one is buy it.

We did take the M-3 out on Orangethorpe and scared a lot of people! :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those Wright engines are a pain in the rear end to work on. In the early 70s, Jimmy Brucker (Cars of the Stars museum) had an M-3 with one (that we got running) and an M4A1 which we gave up on. $250,000 is inexpensive for the Sherman's. And they're like horses, cheapest thing to do with one is buy it.

We did take the M-3 out on Orangethorpe and scared a lot of people! :)
I love hearing about these things. Hope you smile was as big as mine just thinking about it.

Reactions: Dub

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I love hearing about these things. Hope you smile was as big as mine just thinking about it.
Driving the M-3 out onto Orangethorpe was a lot of fun. Jimmy let me do it because we had rubber pads on the tracks and since I'd gotten to drive an M-50 (Super Sherman) in the middle east I had some idea of what I was doing. Old tanks in the middle east are like sitting in a toaster oven.

That M-3 had been used on the old Batman TV show. We had problems covering up the gold paint job spots we found.

PS there is a place down in Tx where you can drive tanks including an M4.

·
The Tinker
3,325 Posts
Driving the M-3 out onto Orangethorpe was a lot of fun. Jimmy let me do it because we had rubber pads on the tracks and since I'd gotten to drive an M-50 (Super Sherman) in the middle east I had some idea of what I was doing. Old tanks in the middle east are like sitting in a toaster oven.

That M-3 had been used on the old Batman TV show. We had problems covering up the gold paint job spots we found.

PS there is a place down in Tx where you can drive tanks including an M4.
Didn't get to drive it, but in the 70s I was attached to a armor unit as a FO and I got to fire the main gun in a M60. Several times in fact. :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where at?
Didn't get to drive it, but in the 70s I was attached to a armor unit as a FO and I got to fire the main gun in a M60. Several times in fact. :D
Awesome, and thanks for your service.

·
The Tinker
3,325 Posts
Where at?

Awesome, and thanks for your service.
29 Stumps. We were doing a CAX (Combined Arms Exercise) and I was calling in artillery and air strikes for a group of tanks. On the last day, we were sitting around waiting for orders to bug out for mainside and the lieutenant and I were yakking about guns and he asked me if I wanted to shoot a 'real' gun. We were about half way to Barsto and out in the middle of a firing range, so the lieutenant called in to request permission to test fire the main gun. I didn't stop grinning for the rest of the day. :D

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
That's not encouraging. I was having pipedreams of Vincent Black Lightings and C8 Corvettes.
That was years ago. I have no idea how it works these days. I unsubscribed to their mailings shortly after having problems. Besides I live where you have to drive on dirt and gravel roads, so the idea of keeping a great paint job made it easy to stop looking. I'm still tempted by a classic Mini Cooper, but no room to take stuff to the range! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts