1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My old faithful ShootingChrony died over a year ago - purchased in early 90s, I could not complain it being beyond repair. It served me well, was accurate enough compared to some other test gear I matched it against.

I've done without now for a while - I want a chronograph.

What do you guys use, your likes and dislikes, ease of setup comments, etc. would be helpful.

I've looked at Lab Radar and new ShootingChrony, Pro Chrono, caldwell, -- not partial to any one brand.

It will primarily be used for pistol work, though some rifle measurements, say 10% of usage max will happen.

thoughts?

·
ex Rent-a-Engineer
343 Posts
I purchased the Caldwell G2 it provides the value I wanted at its price range Operation with its phone app (via Google Play) provided instant results to my cell which was exported to a compatible file I imported to MS Excel to save on my laptop. I have not used it yet with my long guns, but I'm well pleased with the results thus far.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Chrony gave me discount on my shot chrony. Look in the manual, I don't know if they still do.

Had mine as long as yours. The second one I upgraded to the display on the bench so If I shoot it again, it will cost less. Its also much easier to use.

David

·
Registered
869 Posts
I bought a LabRadar a couple years ago and have been very happy with it. First, they are pricey but do a great job. Probably more than I need but I very much appreciate being able to set it up on the shooting bench and not having to go down range to set anything else up. Works great indoors and outside and not at all dependent on sunshine or clouds.

I typically use it on the 25 yard range and get readings from 5,10,15,20 and 25 yards on each shot. When I get home I download it on the computer and get a spread sheet for each load. Everything is calculated automatically including high, low and average FPS, standard deviation, extreme spread and PF.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can the Magnetospeed be utilized at all with handguns? I simply don't change rifle loads often enough to justify a one trick pony - 10% or less with long guns.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I bought a LabRadar a couple years ago and have been very happy with it. First, they are pricey but do a great job. Probably more than I need but I very much appreciate being able to set it up on the shooting bench and not having to go down range to set anything else up. Works great indoors and outside and not at all dependent on sunshine or clouds.

I typically use it on the 25 yard range and get readings from 5,10,15,20 and 25 yards on each shot. When I get home I download it on the computer and get a spread sheet for each load. Everything is calculated automatically including high, low and average FPS, standard deviation, extreme spread and PF.
I also have a Labradar /and use it a lot in the dessert lots of sun with no issues. You can also download the app and Get your info on your smart phone.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
My ShootingChrony has worked well for many years, It was +/- 15 FPS of any other Chrony I matched it up against. It took a bullet from a friend and left this world way too soon, They gave me a discount on a new one when I sent the old shot up one back. I think the ShootingChrony is always a good choice for the money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts