Clapp Hawk has landed!!

Discussion in 'Nighthawk Custom' started by JM44, Aug 3, 2020.

1. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    The Clapp Hawk has landed! All I can say is wow! @Nighthawk Custom Bob and his team completely transformed this gun from something I didn’t care for much to something I really admire.

When all the cool kids were getting the Colt Hawks I almost did what I usually do and impulse buy one. There were two things that prevented me from doing so: no checkering and no slide to frame fit. I had this Clapp waiting to be used as a base and after going back and forth with Bob I solidified the build. This was deeply influenced by the Colt Hawk but I used the Wiley Clapp philosophy of building a simple modern day carry gun as well. More modern than the retro tones of the Colt Hawks. I tried to keep this one simple and classy but made to carry.

The notable differences from the Colt Hawk, excluding the WC base differences are:

-slide to frame fit
    -finished in DLC with polished flats
    -hammer, trigger barrel and bushing left in the white
    -NHC slide stop and TS both slimmed (Amazing I will likely use this on my NH builds going forward)
    -NHC trigger and hammer

I went on vacation and seemed to lock myself out of my grip safe...Range report and pics with different shoes outside (and not these crappy basement pics) I have to it will be posted in the near future!

There was one slight oversight by NHC, the trigger was supposed to be medium solid but they used the tricavity. I mention this only because as it stands this is not what I 100% envisioned. I know that NHC will quickly make it right (after I shoot it a little) so no slight on them. They have exceeded my expectations on this one and I am working on a Springer to send them next.

Thanks for looking brothers!

@TheCollector @Mtek @Dwe @mick @bnaples

BB1C4BF8-0966-4BE2-A055-0D94E6A549CF.jpeg 76DE1882-8FFE-4EF6-B4A4-6DA8D3FBC6AE.jpeg 4D971790-F0EE-467B-9E56-3C7C1B9EDBB5.jpeg 0AAB6EFD-A14E-4326-8252-524B9BB7997D.jpeg

2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Very well done. Needs a flat trigger and I'll buy it from you.

3. mick

mick Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Beautiful!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JM44 likes this.
  4. Mtek

Mtek Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2019
    Spectacular. Thanks for sharing the pics and breaking down the mods too. Def one to be proud of. Congrats on receiving.

FWoo45, Raylan Givens and JM44 like this.
  5. JM44

Feb 2, 2018
    Thank you all! I am very happy about this one and my basement pics do not do it justice. What is also very important to note is what you cannot “see” here is the vast improvement that the slide to frame and bevel work made. This Clapp originally was sloppier than could be and had extremely sharp edges! It is now nice and tight and smooth as butter all around.

6. SLAM37

SLAM37 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Looks fantastic! Congratulations OP.

JM44 likes this.
  7. awmp

awmp Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Apr 27, 2012
    Leave it as is and I will buy it, lol. Nice setup.

JM44 likes this.
  8. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    Man that’s just beautiful and nicely optioned. Well done!

JM44 likes this.
  9. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    Very nice!

JM44 likes this.
  10. River runner

River runner Well-Known Member

May 4, 2020
    Nice, clean and classy! Well chosen by you and well executed by Nighthawk!

FWoo45 and JM44 like this.
  11. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Looks great!

JM44 likes this.
  12. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    John... You had a vision with this one and conveyed it to Bob well. (less the trigger issue) I only own one gun with 1/2 DLC (the frame) This one makes me want to add to that total.

**** he claps for the Clapp****

JM44 likes this.
  13. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Turned out great!
    Plus, you’re the first kid on the block with one.:thumbs: :cheers:

JM44 likes this.
  14. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Man, just a beauty. That DLC finish is stunning! Enjoy!

JM44 likes this.
  15. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    That’s a full F’N win. Very nice!

FWoo45 and JM44 like this.
  16. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    Trigger ruins it. It’s junk. Whole gun is worthless. I’ll have somebody pass by to pick it up for proper disposal. :)

I don’t usually like double diamond grips but the NH medallions make me like those.

How does NH or anyone tighten the slide to frame fit? One method? Several methods?

JM44 likes this.
  17. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Great lookin blaster! Really like your philosophy going into it and a the result reflects it very well. You, Bob, and the NHC boys knocked this one out of the park. Congratulations sir.

Dub, Mtek and JM44 like this.
  18. JM44

Feb 2, 2018
    I prefer
    Combat cut but double diamonds are
    Growing on me. This is just the set I ordered it with from NHC, I’ve got a lot of grips for this one, if I can access them!

I am not sure how they go about achieving the slide to fit frame but I thought it was very reasonably priced for the work and like I said this feels like a completely different gun. This was a very loose and sharp edged gun and that has all been changed by NHCs magic

A45GUNNER, simonp, gps man and 2 others like this.
  19. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Beautiful John. Guess I'm an oddball but I prefer tri-cavity triggers for myself. I think it is awesome as it is sir!

JM44 likes this.
  20. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Very nice indeed!

JM44 likes this.