1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What you guys think. No build sheet but original case. It's a Springfield build. Minor surface rust on front strap and rear sight. I think it would be easily removed. A slight idiot scratch as well. Sorry best pic I could get they were swamped at the time. Only history guy told me walking by was a older lady said it belonged to her late husband.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,150 Posts
Talk them down if you can but $1000 for a Clark hardball gun is a steal. I have no use for it but I still would not have left it there at that price.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone know if Clark did many Springfield builds. I always see Colts but not Springfield's.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I have never seen a Clark on a Springfield. I don't pretend to be an expert, but Jimmy Clark is one of my heroes and I've always paid attention to his guns. I have never seen a Clark Hardball for $1000, but the one's I've seen are Colt's.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Clark’s not really known for there great cosmetics. Still peeves me years ago sent him a .22 Ruger for trigger work, came back with a fantastic trigger and dings all over the barrel.

·
7,150 Posts
Function over form.

·
7,150 Posts
WC145,
So you believe this bag-o-crap is going to be a performer?
Put your money down.
Get back to us with a range report.
I've owned a Clark Hardball gun in the past, a '52 Colt built by Jim Sr.. The "Tiger Tooth" stippling isn't golf balls but it works great. I'm not a bullseye shooter but the gun was plenty accurate in my hands, had a great trigger, and functioned reliably. I've own/have owned other Clark guns that have performed as advertised so I have no reason to believe that the gun in question would not as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I suggest you call the folks at Clark Custom. They can tell you what was done to the Springfield. Be advised that if it was set up for bullseye competition you may need to press the trigger when dropping the slide to keep the hammer from following. Actually, when shooting one of these, I press the trigger when dropping the slide, then place my thumb in front of the hammer before releasing the trigger. It's a great price for a Clark gun, by the way.

·
Chief Steward of Man Law
1,005 Posts

• Haha
Reactions: Spokes and WC145

·
Good/Fast/Cheap
3,325 Posts
Guns by ANY other gunsmiths are just cheap knock-offs of Chuck's computer milled perfection. And he's so humble to not sell them for $25k each as they are worth at least 500 times that.
Chuck works off a manual mill, which makes it even more impressive...it’s got to be perfect, manually, every. single. time. There’s not a Rogers gun in existence that’s sold for $25k, but I’ll tell you one thing, if I could buy 5 customs built at $5k each, or one $25k Rogers gun....I’d buy the Rogers.

My guess is you’ve never had a range day with a Rogers gun, much less, even held one. If you had, you wouldn’t make such an asinine comment.

·
Good/Fast/Cheap
3,325 Posts
If the gun is worth that to you, buy it. I’d never expect it to appreciate in value, so if you’re thinking it’s a flip, I’d pass on it.

This gun isn’t one of those guns like Boland, or Devel, or Pachmayr, or Behlert that was incredibly advanced for their time and laid the groundwork for custom handguns, combat pistols as we know it. Just an average build by a shop that’s continually built average guns during its whole existence, IMO.

·
Chief Steward of Man Law
1,005 Posts

Reactions: WC145

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
You are correct. Never had one in my hands. But my asinine comment was in response to an asinine comment.

If Chuck is doing it on a manual mill, then I give him kudos for it. But that doesn't mean his guns are better than Clark's. Or worse. Just different.

Clark's stippling may not be "pretty" or "cool" but it did what it was meant to. Gave you a non-slip front strap without chewing your hands up. Jim didn't build "petty" guns. He built guns that functioned perfectly and THAT was the real beauty in them. For the most part my own builds have been along the same lines. I have always been more focused on function and ergonomics than artwork. But I also realize you can achieve both.

And again it doesn't make either better or worse. Just different. So when someone trashes someone else's work because it's not as pretty as their own it sorta chaffed my ass. And Chuck seems to do that frequently.
I am not arguing your point or defending Chuck but I will say this. Chuck frequently comments positively on the work of other smiths on here. I don’t see many other smiths doing so…

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
The only civilian to win The National Pistol Championship('58) and as far as a shooter goes, one of the few guys that could stand with my hero, Charlie Askins Jr. He is still the only individual to win Pistolsmith Of The Year and Outstanding American Handgunner. A Clark gun won the '80 & '81 IPSC in the hands of John Shaw. In WWII at Saipan, he shot hundreds of Japanese soldiers as they fled Garapan with a Springfield until he was shot in the shoulder himself.

It will be interesting to see what people say about golf balls when something new comes along and the guy who gave custom guns so much isn't here to defend himself. Jimmy Clark's legend is real and we could all learn from him as a gentleman and I don't exempt myself from that.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts