·
Chief Steward of Man Law
998 Posts

Reactions: JM44 and WC145

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have decided to pass on this one. While I love and appreciate 1911 history, this one just doesn't quite fit my eye. And I have a WC and Another EB on the way. If anyone wants to know where this is located to possibly purchase themselves?

ACE BUYERS PAWN SHOP
Traverse City, MI

·
Registered
21 Posts
I suspect the pistol was set up for bullseye competition. Slow fire at 50 yards and rapid fire at 25 yards. All one handed. If you are looking for a pretty custom combat piece, or even something to just carry in a holster, look elsewhere. Appearance is nice but I've seen competitors take files, plastic wood, and duct tape to their guns to make them fit better. I have a few nice 1911's that bring me much pride of ownership. But when I compete in bullseye shooting, it's with a 1968 Government Model that has an old Tasco red dot and a hard fit Kart NM barrel. It has home made stippling front and back, and it gets the job done. You wouldn't take an olympic free pistol out squirrel hunting, don't try to make the Clark/Springfield into something it isn't.

·
Chief Steward of Man Law
998 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's a Clark Hard Ball bullseye target pistol meant for one-handed NRA and CMP shooting. It is specifically meant for Camp Perry-style competition at 25 and 50 yards on the round B-8 target.

A thousand bucks on that is a deal, considering the base build gun averages somewhere around $600 today.

Even just a fair example should put all rounds in the X- and 10-rings at 50 yards with 230-grain GI Ball or Winchester White Box.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
i have never owned a clark gun but have shot a couple, always shot really well, a grand for that is probably a great deal

·
Chief Steward of Man Law
998 Posts

Reactions: Uncle Bob

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
I have never seen a Clark on a Springfield. I don't pretend to be an expert, but Jimmy Clark is one of my heroes and I've always paid attention to his guns. I have never seen a Clark Hardball for $1000, but the one's I've seen are Colt's.

Most likely his kids work.

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
I've owned a Clark Hardball gun in the past, a '52 Colt built by Jim Sr.. The "Tiger Tooth" stippling isn't golf balls but it works great. I'm not a bullseye shooter but the gun was plenty accurate in my hands, had a great trigger, and functioned reliably. I've own/have owned other Clark guns that have performed as advertised so I have no reason to believe that the gun in question would not as well.
View attachment 788505
Trick here is it Sr. or the kids?

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
I am not arguing your point or defending Chuck but I will say this. Chuck frequently comments positively on the work of other smiths on here. I don’t see many other smiths doing so…
On the other hand there's been a bit to much Smith's trash talking other Smith's work. Something we never used to see.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Here we have a Mt. Rushmore-level Smith commenting upon the work of a prior great. I hope that Chuck does not keep his opinions to himself and that those responding to an opinion would do so with fact, opinion of their own identified as such and something along the lines of an open mind. He has the right an opinion, we have the right to counter and so on. I think he also has the right to ask someone to make good on their public claims.

What is wrong with calling an ugly gun ugly? I don't know how anyone could identify it's ability to shoot in that photo, but I am not willing to engage in a debate about the "looks" of the gun in question, because I agree that it is not visually appealing. I also would just about bet the deed to my house that it is post-Clark Sr.

This is like hearing Eric Clapton critique the work of a single Jimi Hendrix song or lick. Is it fair that one is here and the other isn't? Do the same songs do the same thing for the individual? Do I want him to shutup about it? The answer to all three is a resounding "No".

Keep up the good work @pistolwretch. Your legend is already earned. God Bless Jimmy Clark and may he rest in peace. His legend came before us all and was earned as well.

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
Here we have a Mt. Rushmore-level Smith commenting upon the work of a prior great. I hope that Chuck does not keep his opinions to himself and that those responding to an opinion would do so with fact, opinion of their own identified as such and something along the lines of an open mind. He has the right an opinion, we have the right to counter and so on. I think he also has the right to ask someone to make good on their public claims.

What is wrong with calling an ugly gun ugly? I don't know how anyone could identify it's ability to shoot in that photo, but I am not willing to engage in a debate about the "looks" of the gun in question, because I agree that it is not visually appealing. I also would just about bet the deed to my house that it is post-Clark Sr.

This is like hearing Eric Clapton critique the work of a single Jimi Hendrix song or lick. Is it fair that one is here and the other isn't? Do the same songs do the same thing for the individual? Do I want him to shutup about it? The answer to all three is a resounding "No".

Keep up the good work @pistolwretch. Your legend is already earned. God Bless Jimmy Clark and may he rest in peace. His legend came before us all and was earned as well.
Well I come from a day where Smith's didn't talk trash on other Smith's work. Far more pleasant and they let people make their own choice. There's also the issue where this forum is usually avoids negativity. Lots of things I could say at times, but I try to avoid that as much as I can. I don't claim to.be perfect, but I still work at not doing it.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts