Classifieds Screeching Halt

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by azguy1911, Aug 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Does it seem like sales on the classified have come to a virtual stop ?

I'm about full up or I would be buying a few more but considering the current climate it seems people still want 10-15% more than what a gun would really sell for.

Thoughts ?

WWB, cgff, 1L26 and 5 others like this.
  2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    The market sucks. Prices are down 15-20% and there are still great deals sitting with no buyers.

Glock2740, cwoods, simonp and 4 others like this.

3. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I think we're among friends here, and I try to keep that in mind. If the market says an unreasonably low offer is good business I stay on the sidelines. Things will get better, and we'll all still be friends.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    War Party, isialk, cgff and 10 others like this.
  4. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I'm lusting after something , but I really need to sell some things first . A lot of people are in that boat . I don't know that anyone is asking too much , but maybe it's more than a slow market dictates , plus there was a buying frenzy from '08 -'16 , and a lot of people have more than we can ever use , so until we sell something we're at a standstill . Seems like the guns I own purchased in the last ten have dropped about 40% . That's tough to accept .The only LGS I know of doing well does trades and has an internet store . He's always busy .

5. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm not sure the 1911 market will get better, but when i see a gun listed at $2,800 and offer $2,500 after it's been listed and bumped 15x's and get a flat out no, I wonder

6. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Three reasons things don't sell . Price , condition , location .

7. Cop_Out

Feb 3, 2017
    I was just going to say, trading is a healthy alternative in some situations. You beat me to it.

8. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    The entire firearms market has slowed, and it's reflected here. I also think that being midsummer has some influence, less people are spending time in front of their screen.

9. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Since every news outlet is talking about AWB, Mag restrictions, UBC and Red Flag laws... 1911's are in no danger of being on any banned list.
    Perhaps people are funneling their money elsewhere right now?

Sapper, nikerret and Journeyman1234 like this.
  10. Eastwood1

Eastwood1 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Yes I have noticed it as well. Wanted to pull trigger on the T4 recently listed but have missed or decided to wait on T4s selling on GB for 800 less. It’s crazy he’ll i recall guns flying for 4-8k on here and thinking damn I need to step it up

11. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    One thing that makes it tough to sell a used gat is the fact that online retailers, and auction sites, have similar models selling at prices lower than what was paid by the seller. Trying to sell a used gat for the same price or barely lower than a NIB model is tough. Seller has to take a bath, especially after shipping is figured in.

AJP, gun_fan111, Gafanhao and 7 others like this.
  12. pcar157

pcar157 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Appears to me selling prices for used guns is in the range of 60%-70% of its' MSRP, whether used, unfired or LNIB. If they are listed for more, they generally don't move very fast, if at all. Sadly just the economics of today's used gun market. Used gun sellers are competing with the internet which casts a very large and extremely competitive net. Gun values depreciate just like so many other commodities.

13. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Bad time to sell unless you absolutely have to but I think @Razer may have hit the nail on the head. The whole forum has slowed as far as content even though there are new people signing up every day. I think people are doing other things while the weather is nice. There have been some pretty nice guns at fair prices that go unsold lately. Personally I would only entertain something that I really really wanted at a steal otherwise I'll watch.

14. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    It is a very bad time to sell. I have noticed that in the last month or so the classifieds went from moving pretty quickly at amazing prices to stagnant at what most would say normally are amazing prices, I think sellers really have to drop their expectations and take a bath to some extent to sell just about anything now. Hell I noticed that Lou had a new build that sat for 4-6 weeks with several drops before it sold.

For me there are still a couple of guns I want, TRS for one, that are available in the free states and legal here in the PRK but I have to factor in the shipping costs, CA FFL's insist on charging sales tax and charge $100-150 to receive the gun so it really has to be a screaming deal or work a trade for it to make sense here sadly.

FWoo45 likes this.
  15. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Probably been brought up a few times in the last 4 or so months.
    Number of factors:
    1. Gun sales as a whole have slowed down due to everyone loading up during the last panic. Plus, ARs dropping to sub $600 and a flood of cheap, but efficient, poly guns are driving prices down as well.
    2. People are trying to recoup their costs on pistols they bought new. Just ain't happening. If you aren't automatically knocking off 20%+ from MSRP then it's gonna sit there. And that's a barely used 'safe queen'. Aside from full customs and collectables, you are gonna take a bath if you want to sell.
    3. Most of your major gun manufacturers are offering payment plans. GCI does; WC does; and NHC may, too. So, why buy used when you can buy new, and make monthly payments to get YOUR gun built YOUR way? That way instead of plopping the ol' Visa down for $4k, you're making $500 a month payments while you're waiting on your pistola to get built. I think this is probably top reason.
    4. Lot of us, to include me, are at a point in our collection where we want to trade, not buy. So, if you're not wanting to trade, or even do trade + cash- probably going to have to hold onto it for awhile.
    5. Talking heads screaming about gun control means people are afraid of losing their ARs/AKs/High Cap mags. So, they're loading up on those now.
    Various other reasons. But #3 and #4 are the main reasons for me on why I slowed down dramatically. Just sold off two pistols (ended up selling them locally and quickly) and I still have the cash rotting in my safe. Closest 5/3 bank is 3 states away, so I literally have no way of depositing the cash. So I stick with the local AZ boards to see if something pops up that I might want.

Cajun Concealed and switchback like this.
  16. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    They are in Illinois. Dem's got a bill waiting in the wings that will require registration of all autos, no more sales except to LE, and no passing on to kids. I'd like to say it will not make it to a vote but I have no confidence in our rural dems.

isialk and switchback like this.
  17. JRK1990

JRK1990 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    That's me, I got a Wilson Combat on order but right now I've been spending my extra money on Semi Auto rifles, magazines and ammo.

1L26 likes this.
  18. Cop_Out

Feb 3, 2017
    Carbon copy of the law passed a few years back in Connecticut.

19. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    That's why I gave all my guns to my kids last year. That's 2018 - GAVE ALL MY GUNS TO MY KIDS!
    Well at least all the ones that weren't lost in the boating accident.

blamo, 1911fanatic, snap1 and 12 others like this.
  20. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Sorry to hear about you losing kids in a boat wreck.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted