Classifieds thoughts/opinions...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by cundiff5535, Nov 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    So I have been hanging around the site for around 2 years now... Posting, reading, learning... you all know the deal. I can not help but notice the growing attraction to the classified posts section, and how many folks cant read that they need pictures.

One of the best parts of this sight (for me) has always been being able to go in the classifieds and find quality 1911's (and some other stuff) for sale. I have also really loved the fact that almost everyone selling was a standing member of the site... just gave me a certain level comfort in buying a 2K plus pistol...

I am all for this site growing and expanding, but it seems like folks are just coming on in to "sell" stuff. Maybe I am in the minority here, but the classifieds seem to be getting bogged down with A LOT of new listings... maybe its just a buyers market and people are looking to upgrade their collections... maybe its Christmas time and people need funds to buy gifts... I get it, I have been there many times. Maybe its just me who is not a big fan? Not a big deal... still love this place and will continue to read, learn, and share...

Has there been any though of making a 50 meaningful post limit/restriction to be able to use the classified section? I know we have a 15 post limit, but that is nothing and one could get to this in 5 mins by posting things like "nice gun", "wow", blah blah blah... Maybe I am just a little paranoid and like the way things have been? Totally could be in the minority on this one... If so, just say so.:)

2. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    IMO, post minimums do nothing but drive people to respond with, "I agree" or other inane verbiage to drive their posting numbers up-- just basically creating chaff.
    A posting for a Guncrafter Frag is actually how I found this site, so I like the classifieds. Plus, I've bought/traded/sold many an item on it as well.
    I'm not a fan of restricting posting abilities in the classifieds to a point. If someone is being a dumbass and refusing to post pics, ban them from the classifieds. Other than that, there are dozens of other forums to look at if the classifieds are putting a burr under your saddle.

3. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    That said, zip ties should be mandatory for all sales, even non-firearms sales. No exceptions.

4. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    Define " meaningful posts"

jakebrake likes this.
  5. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    Yeah, I didnt mean that I dont like the classifieds, there seems to be a lot of 10 post, 15 post things popping up for sale of late. I was just looking for thoughts on it... and if it was just me or others felt this way!

I get it, we all have to start someplace... and do not want to scare off folks either

6. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    Anything really... just not "Cool", "Nice", Blah... Curious as to how many people who are trying to sell in the classifieds of late, have actually even started a thread in any other section other than the classifieds.

7. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
  8. Pangari1

Pangari1 -this space for rent- Supporting Addict

Dec 1, 2011
    i agree

9. Pangari1

Pangari1 -this space for rent- Supporting Addict

Dec 1, 2011
    good point

10. Squidman24

Squidman24 NRA Life Member

Jan 22, 2014
    I like the idea that Jelly proposed for users of the classifieds - he "suggested" that any seller who sells an item on this forum "should" think about making a $25 donation to the site to become a supporting addict - I'm not sure how often his suggestion is followed but if I had to guess I would say rarely at best.

I personally would have no problem if this became a mandatory policy and the initial fee should be paid prior to using the classifieds. This site provides you the opportunity to sell your item to like minded people who share common interests - I don't see anything wrong with saying "thank you" by donating towards its operating costs.

I also think that charging an annual fee of $25 to use this site would eliminate some of the folks you are referring to. I was going to use the term riff-raff but quickly realized the term describes me as well...... but unfortunately for you folks - I have $25 to spend. ;)

Also - x2 on the zip ties and hardchrome guns should not be allowed unless the oversized holster comes with it.

11. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    You know what... I have sold at least 8 things here. I am going to do that! I will donate the $25 and become a supporting addicts.

Great thought Squid... Had not seen that suggestion from Jelly, but I will go ahead with that idea!

12. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    Done! Again, great call out Squid.

Wilsonwessonbrown likes this.
  13. Squidman24

Jan 22, 2014
    Here is the thread where he mentions it - just so you know I'm not trying to fleece you out of $25 ;)

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/classifieds-update.24140/

14. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    No, its a great call dude... I just did it. Now a supporting Addict:)

Jelly, Squidman24 and azpoolguy like this.
  15. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I think there should be a requirement to be a supporting addict as well as a post count total and maybe even length of membership requirement.

I don't know how much work that would add or if it is something Jelly can just implement in a few easy clicks though?

cundiff5535 likes this.
  16. Squidman24

Jan 22, 2014
    I'm not sure about the whole 50 "meaningful" posts - I now have over 500 posts on this site and I challenge anyone to find 50 that are meaningful!

schofield, azpoolguy, deadguy and 3 others like this.
  17. Wes28376

Wes28376 Low speed, high drag

Jul 15, 2012
    I’m conflicted on this issue. I have also noticed people signing up just so they can sell things. Maybe there needs to be more emphasis on how long a person has been a member than how many posts they have. I don’t know what the right answer is, whether its 90 days or 180 days. I think that would eliminate those that sign up, make the minimum amount of posts, sell something and then disappear. The waiting period could be waived for new paying sponsors.

I also do not have an issue with people having to support the forum if they sell stuff but I don’t think the flat $25 fee is right for all circumstances. If I sell a holster for $25 and have to pay the forum $25, that’s Obama math plain and simple. Maybe it’s a percentage of the sell price, say 1%. For a $2500 gun that is $25. For a $25 holster that is $.25. Then we could set the limit on how much a person must pay a year at $25. That seems a little more fair and equitable.

I think making every user pay $25 a year to use the site is a terrible idea. I could swing it but I’m not going to.

azpoolguy and Stogies like this.
  18. SHOKDU

SHOKDU Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    I want to see the supporting member terms limited to one donation of $25 per year. Then make the terms for classified usage 100 posts, with 5 being threads started by user, and being a supporting member.

These kinds of terms work very well at USN, SH, etc.

Maybe add a popup that has the classified terms in it that opens every time before a user posts in the classifieds as well?

19. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    Fully agree with this thought...

Wilsonwessonbrown likes this.
  20. SHOKDU

SHOKDU Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Wouldnt hurt to have similar critera set up for use of PM's and even posting in the classifieds section as comments...

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted